David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)
This topic is about A Thousand Pieces of You
Archives (Book of the Month) > February 2015 Book of the Month - A Thousand Pieces of You

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Incredible author Claudia Gray Claudia Gray will be joining the group for a Q&A starting on February 9th and we'll be reading her book A Thousand Pieces of You A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray !

Spoilers are welcome but be sure to use spoiler tags for those who haven't finished reading yet. :)

You can discuss here! Enjoy!

message 2: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
I LOVED this book! I can't wait to see what you all think! The romance in it is unlike anything I've read so far, and I just loved the concept, + the world building is spectacular!

I'm excited to read this one!! :)

Nicola Dorrington (nsdorrington) | 52 comments I read this back in January. I had super high hopes for it because the concept sounded brilliant - not original, but really cool none the less. Instead it ended up being pretty much a straight romance with a vague sci-fi backdrop. The plot was swallowed up by the romance.

message 5: by A.C. (new) - added it

A.C. Harrah | 379 comments I've been meaning to read this for a while, since I've enjoyed some of Gray's other works. So I'll be joining this monthly read.

message 6: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay AC!

message 7: by A.C. (new) - added it

A.C. Harrah | 379 comments Yay! I just got through the first chapter! So far so good. We got a heroine with a goal and a lot of rage. Although, I did have a moment where I had to giggle. All I could think then was: "Girl, you're angry, I get it, but I think your taking your hyperbole a little too seriously. Let's step back, get some perspective, and then go kill this guy."

message 8: by A.C. (new) - added it

A.C. Harrah | 379 comments Well, I'm a little less than halfway through, and so far I am enjoying it. I have to admit, the first quarter was a little rough (I wasn't a fan of the flashbacks popping up in the middle of action scenes). Now, though I'm having quite a bit of fun with it.

message 9: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

YAY AC! I thought I just got better and better all the way through myself :)

message 10: by Karen’s Library (last edited Feb 08, 2015 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have this on hold at my elibrary! Hope it comes soon! My GR friends all seem to really love it!! :)

message 11: by A.C. (new) - added it

A.C. Harrah | 379 comments Yay! Nice to have you join us, Karen!

Also, Jenny, so far I have to agree with you. I enjoy the story the more I read it. Although I did have an uncomfortable moment due to the ethics of a scene in the book.

(view spoiler)

Other than that scene, I've had fun getting to see this different world through Marguerite's eyes.

message 12: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree with you AC, that was really a can of worms! It is addressed throughout, though, although its never completely resolved. The characters don't feel that great about it either.

message 13: by A.C. (new) - added it

A.C. Harrah | 379 comments After finishing the book, I see that now. I wish the topic was touched upon a little bit more, but at the same time I'm glad that the characters had moments in which they questioned their actions and the ethics behind them (not just the ethics of the spoiler scene, but in general what they were doing).

Also, can I just say I adore Theo and Paul's relationship and wish I had seen more.

message 14: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agreed A.C.! Hopefully in the sequel :)

I just got this one today from my elibrary! I'll probably start a couple of chapters tonight. :)

message 16: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

YAY! I can't wait to hear your thoughts Karen!

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 33 comments I listened to this book a couple of weeks ago and I'm a bit iffy with the whole time travel thing. The audio was good, so I would recommend it to those who likes audiobooks.

I enjoyed the romance bit, until (view spoiler)

Like I said I had issues with the whole time travel bit. From what I read on this book, Gray has done a great job so far and I'm holding off any judgement until the second book.

I'm about 11% in. Good to know, Blue!

Is there time travel in here? Right now it seems like they jump into alternate realities.

message 20: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments Karen wrote: "Is there time travel in here? Right now it seems like they jump into alternate realities."

Nope, just jumping into alternate realities. Time passes the same in every universe. Do you like it so far?

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 33 comments oops, sorry. Yea its alternate universe.

It's pretty intriguing so far. I like the concept. I'm about 30% in. She just did her 2nd jump. (view spoiler)

message 23: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen, if I remember right, they can't jump to alternate universes that they do not already exist in.

message 24: by Karen’s Library (last edited Feb 24, 2015 10:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just finished this. Hmmm... I'm still processing. I agree with you guys about (view spoiler)

I did like the concept. I would have preferred more sci-fi and less romance. And I didn't feel the love triangle at all.

But all in all, a decent read. (view spoiler)

message 25: by *b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* (last edited Feb 28, 2015 08:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 33 comments KAREN: yes to the last Spoiler! I don't care if it was too "nicely wrapped", I'm a sucker for happy endings!

(view spoiler)

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Thousand Pieces of You (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Claudia Gray (other topics)