David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Winger (Winger, #1)
This topic is about Winger
Buddy Reads! > Winger Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Daniel and I are starting a buddy read Winger (Winger, #1) by Andrew Smith starting now! Everyone is welcome to join!

There are no set chapters per day, we just read at our own paces and start each post with how far along you are, i.e., Chapter #, %, using spoilers where needed. Have fun!

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Thanks for setting this up Jenny! I'm already 144 pages through.
I'm LOVING the main character. He's very relatable (having went through the same phases, I can connect to him on many levels). It's superficial and juvenile at times, but since it's the POV of a 14 year old boy, that's only realistic. It's very funny, and I can't wait to see what happens.

message 3: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm up to page 138! I agree completely!

I love his little cartoon drawings, and his brain charts LOL!

But can I say I kind of hate Annie? She has to know this immense power she has over him, and so far she's mostly ignored him or insulted him!

message 4: by Daniel (last edited Jan 30, 2015 07:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Annie frustrates me at times, but we have to remember that Ryan isn't exactly innocent either. (view spoiler)
And yes, LOVE the drawings. It's very unique, and it really makes the narrative seem like the main character is actually telling us what happened.
I'll continue tomorrow!

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments page 220.
The characters are all kind of frustrating me now. lol All of them keep doing stupid things. But once again, that's only realistic.
I also wonder what this "unthinkable" event mentioned in the blurb is. I don't think I'm there yet.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I just finished. I really liked it. Not sure about the ending. Can't wait to see your thoughts before I comment more.

message 7: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

Okay I'm up to page 287.

Agreed with you Daniel, the whole lot of them are acting like stupid teenagers! (view spoiler)

message 8: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Feb 02, 2015 09:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Okay I finished it!

My thoughts (view spoiler)

I'm definitely excited to read the sequel! I gave the read 4 stars, as I thoroughly enjoyed the read!

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments page 364.
(view spoiler)
I still like it, although the some of the characters are very frustrating.

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Finished.
Please allow me a couple of hours to collect my emotions. That was brutal.

message 11: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

I know, right?

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I was not a fan of what happened at the end. I saw no reason for it. Having said that - I liked the rest a TON so still gave it 4 stars. The ending was too abrupt for me. He and Rainbow Rowell have that in common I guess! Also, I think JP was not a true friend and at fault but that is my opinion. I enjoyed this book so much until the very end part. I actually looked forward to my drive to work so I could listen to it.

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Heidi, it was abrupt for sure.
(view spoiler)
I'll have my full thoughts up soon.

message 14: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree Daniel!

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Here is my full review where I discussed my thoughts in detail!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 16: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

LOVED that review, Daniel! I think that's your best one yet!

I agree completely. (except for the shocking ending, I kind of knew that was coming, although I didn't know the details of course. ) I loved how the author wrote this, I think it was genius myself! This one will stay with me for a long while!

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Wow, thanks Jenny!
And for sure, it's pretty unforgettable.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Good way to look at things Daniel :) I really did love this book though so don't let my issues make you think I didn't!

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments That thought never came across my mind, Heidi. :P

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Winger (other topics)