Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > 2015 - January reads for LizH

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LizH (last edited Jan 31, 2015 12:27PM) (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments What a great way to start the year! 3 Fantastic reads, each one spectacular in it's own way. My only complaint would be I wish it was 6 books, but maybe things will pick up.

REVIVAL by Stephen King 4/5 The story starts with Jaime who meets a young minister and his wife. The story continues with the relationship these 2 have over the years, Jaime with his demons, and Charlie with his. Charlie is drawn to his dream of power and his secret electricity, Jaime tied to that world as he is healed by Charlie. Loved the dread and the hope that King adds in this story. He is wordy, but oh so good wordy! I raced through the last quarter of the book, knowing that there would be a stunning conclusion, done King style.
2. THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN by Pauka Hawkins 5/5 The girl, Rachel, a raging alcoholic, rides the train everyday to hide the fact she lost her job from her roommate. She gets particularly enamored with a couple she sees each day and makes up stories in her head. She also can't seem to stay out of her ex husbands new life and wife. Then somthing tragic happens and she believes she can help the police. And she can't stay away. In the beginning and actually through most of it I had a hard time keeping all the characters straight, even though Rachel, Megan and Anna had there own chapters. I really had to pay attention to the date at each chapter and who's it was. That being said, this was an absolute page turner for me. Very well plotted and mixed between reality and not reality. I did not like the mc, so it surprises me I gave it such a high rating, but I just couldn't stop reading this, to find out the truth and maybe some redemption. Very good book.
3. ORDINARY GRACE by William Kent Krueger 5/5 Loved this book! Beautifully written, great setting and characters and a very good mystery, I thought I had it figured out, and then a very cool shift changed my thinking, and then I was right again. This story is about the summer of 61 (?) in small town Minnesota where several deaths occur over the summer. Loved the small town setting where kids could still be kids, playing outside without adult supervision. This author is such a beautiful writer, I highlighted many many sentences in this book!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14285 comments I'm glad you had such a good start to the month and year, Liz!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Liz. I'm reading The girl on the train now. I'm going see if I
can get Ordinary Grace too.

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2626 comments Nice month, Liz.

message 5: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3490 comments Nice month too bad no chick lit

message 6: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments DonnaJo, lol, just started a romancey one today!!

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments Great start to the year Liz! I enjoyed Revival and The Girl on the Train as well. You are so much better at summarizing than I am.