paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

Buddy Reads Archive > Stephen King's Night Shift

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments For all my Night Shifters, we shall be starting on the 1st! How bout we read a story a day?

message 2: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 50 comments Sounds great!

message 3: by Andy (last edited Feb 02, 2015 08:19AM) (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments A story a day is perfect. Can't wait:

This will be our reading schedule if we do one story a day:

2/1 Introduction · Foreword · Jerusalem’s Lot
2/2 Graveyard Shift
2/3 Night Surf
2/4 I Am the Doorway
2/5 The Mangler
2/6 The Boogeyman
2/7 Gray Matter
2/8 Battleground
2/9 Trucks
2/10 Sometimes They Come Back
2/11 Strawberry Spring
2/12 The Ledge
2/13 The Lawnmower Man
2/14 Quitters, Inc.
2/15 I Know What You Need
2/16 Children of the Corn
2/17 The Last Rung on the Ladder
2/18 The Man Who Loved Flowers
2/19 One for the Road
2/20 The Woman in the Room

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 3492 comments Mod
I think I still have this somewhere if I can find it I will join in.

message 5: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Awesome! Glad to see you all;) Is this a re-read for any of you? This will be my first time reading this but I'm sure I've watched the movies.

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments I might have read it back in high school, but I can't remember....

(returns from bookshelf)

...yeah, I read it, but I don't think I finished. Gray Matter is one of my favorite short stories by King.

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Are we counting the Forward as the story for the first day?

message 8: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 50 comments It's a reread for me but it's been 20 years! Some of the stories have stayed with me and some I've forgotten.

message 9: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 703 comments Mod
I'm going to try to join in on this one, too

message 10: by Andy (last edited Jan 31, 2015 06:56PM) (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Lots of good buddy and groups reads this month. It'll make February a little more bearable.

Now, what to read first?:

Night Shift
In the Dark
Offspring
Old Flames

message 11: by Justin (last edited Jan 31, 2015 07:58PM) (new)

I couldn't find my copy, must have taken it to the used book store. Damn, I was looking forward to it. I'm not a huge Stephen king fan but I love his short story collections. I might still buy a copy and join though, I'm sure the used book store has some since its Stephen king, I might even be able to buy my copy back from them.

message 12: by Justin (new)

Andy wrote: "Lots of good buddy and groups reads this month. It'll make February a little more bearable.

Now, what to read first?:

Night Shift
In the Dark
Offspring
Old Flames"

If I end up getting a copy and reading this one, I am in on all of those as well.

message 13: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments How bout we include the Foreward with the first story? I'll have to see how long it is.

message 14: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments The foreword is about 12 pages. Jerusalem's Lot is 34.

message 15: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments That's not too bad. Everyone ok with that?

message 16: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Let's do it!

message 17: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Alright! Woohoo!

message 18: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Starting today 2-1, right?

message 19: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Yes. Think I'll start right now.

message 20: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Didn't get much reading in today;( I was thinking we cud discuss the next day after each story is read.

message 21: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments I haven't started yet either. Still finishing Wakening the Crow, watching the end of the superbowl, and Downton Abbey....

...in other words, multitasking.

message 22: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Did anyone read Jerusalem's Lot yesterday?

message 23: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments I'm halfway through it. Planning on finishing it now and reading the next one tonight. I really like how Jerusalem's lot is written in letter form.

message 24: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Thank you Andy. I just noticed the schedule you made. Excellent! Well, just finished the first story and thought it was great! I'm guessing this is a little like Salems Lot which I have yet to read. I could be wrong though. There was a touch of Lovecraft which I didn't mind. Very atmospheric and creepy.

message 25: by Justin (new)

This type of buddy read is why I wish we could create sub folders.

message 26: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Yes, I agree. Do u think there is a better way to do this?

message 27: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 50 comments Jerusalem's Lot was great! I thought the letters worked really well for the story too, Addy. I thought it would be a prequel or have more to do with Salem's Lot, but it doesn't. I loved the worm, the whole church scene at the end was awesome.

message 28: by Justin (new)

Addy wrote: "Yes, I agree. Do u think there is a better way to do this?"

nope. Not without sub folders and goodreads don't have them.

message 29: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Alright. A little behind, but I'm on it! Loving Graveyard Shift so far. Rats are the pits!

message 30: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments The ending to GS was fantastic. I need to watch the movie again. I went ahead and read Night Surf since its a short read. It was okay. The only thing it did was make me sad.

message 31: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 50 comments Graveyard Shift was way better than I thought it would be. The giant cow rat with no legs or eyes. Shudder. I don't remember that from the movie.

I read Night Surf too and felt underwhelmed. Does not make me want to read The Stand.

message 32: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Sorry guys, I'm really behind and have only read the foreward (always a treat from King). I'm a teacher and in grad school so I only get to read what I really want right before bed.

message 33: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments It's ok Andy. Just chime in whenever you can:)

message 34: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments I almost bought The Stand a few months ago but then decided it's one book I'll prob never read. I'm not really into virus/plague books.

message 35: by Andy (last edited Feb 04, 2015 07:05AM) (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments If you're ever going to read just one, that'd be it. It's a pretty huge time investment, though. As with all King, the story is really about the character tangents more than the plague. Specifically, The Stand is about the buildup to an all-time showdown between good and evil.

..and if you ever saw the movie just block it from your mind.

message 36: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Yeah, I've seen the movie but for some reason it kinda bored me:( I don't know, maybe when I'm old and gray I'll give it a shot.

message 37: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Now I know what the odd cover of the book is referring to. Very clever.

message 38: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 50 comments Yup! When he describes his hand as itchy and I picture him scratching eyeballs, it gives me the willies.

message 39: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Yes, I can't imagine having eyes staring at me every time I look at my hands. The visual is just freaky!

message 40: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments I really enjoyed I Am The Doorway. Would have loved to have seen this go somewhere in a full length novel. Great little story!

message 41: by Maxine Marsh (new)

I finally got the first story done - Jerusalem's Lot. I love the old Lovecraftian style of it and the ambiguous ending of course. I'm trying to get some more reading in but will have more time when my busy week is up. Should be more free time next week.

message 42: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Mangler was great. It almost felt familiar. Was it ever a movie?

message 43: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 19 comments Justin wrote: "Addy wrote: "Yes, I agree. Do u think there is a better way to do this?"

nope. Not without sub folders and goodreads don't have them."

Why not just create separate topics under the book's discussion area? One for each story...?

Actually, it appears there are already topics for each story. Hmmm.

message 44: by Maxine Marsh (new)

So I got through Night Shift, Night Surf, Mangler and I Am The Doorway last night. Great stories. I think I've read another "space" horror story by King once and it was great, too.

message 45: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Addy wrote: "Mangler was great. It almost felt familiar. Was it ever a movie?"

I thought it was but I'm not 100% sure.

message 46: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 50 comments Mangler was fun! Good and gory. I would watch that movie. I loved The Boogeyman as well! Such a brutal story.

message 47: by John (new)

John  | 1 comments Night Surf and I Am the Doorway, were perhaps the most unsatisfying short stories reads I have come across in a long time. These were horrible. If that wasn't torture enough, I trudged along and read The Mangler.

Now its conformed. This book is officially fireplace material. I am typing this as I watch the book burn.

King should be embarrassed by this book. My friend says he's overrated. I'm now seeing her point.

message 48: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments That's too bad. I like a lot of the stories in here. Shud have sent your book my way. I'm sure I could find someone who wud appreciate it as much as I do. See you later than. No need to be posting in here anymore.

message 49: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 50 comments I really liked Grey Matter. Classic King. Battleground was OK and I thought Trucks was great! Didn't think I was gonna like it but I did. :)

message 50: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Uhg! I'm falling behind on this one!

« previous 1