The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars discussion

A YA book that breaks your heart?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Saf Can anyone recommend a few books that are completely heartbreaking and are bound to make anyone cry.

No idea why, I just have so many problems on my head right now, I need something to distract me, someone else's problems to worry about instead of my own. I want to feel an immense wave of heartache and pain and hurt.

You know? But still something pretty easy to read, as in the way it's written. Purely because I read so much for my degree, I still need it to be a relatively simply written.

(Not sure if I got that last point across properly but I hope you know what I mean!)

message 2: by Oliver (last edited Jan 30, 2015 12:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oliver  Quebedeaux Well for starters, 'The Fault In Our Stars'(But you probably already know that), and my mom thought 'If I Stay' was pretty sad, umm 'Help for the haunted' was a little, 'Autumn Falls' could be considered. All of these books has to do with Dads, and/or Mom's and/or little siblings dying, except for 'The fault in our stars' that was about her bf dying.
Hope this helps, ;)

Saf Olivia wrote: "Well for starters, The Fault In Our Stars, and my mom thought 'If I Stay' was pretty sad, umm 'Help for the haunted' was a little, 'Autumn Falls' could be considered. All of these books has to do w..."

Thanks, I'll check them out! I think I want something a bit deeper though. I felt a tiny bit sad at TFiOS, and not at all during If I Stay but I'll check the others out!:)

Oliver  Quebedeaux Annie wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Well for starters, The Fault In Our Stars, and my mom thought 'If I Stay' was pretty sad, umm 'Help for the haunted' was a little, 'Autumn Falls' could be considered. All of these bo..."
Okay, hope I've done some good.

Katharine Edgar Before I Die by Jenny Downham. So, so sad.

Deanna (A Novel Glimpse) Colleen Hoover books usually get me. The Slammed series, Hopeless Series, Ugly Love. I think I also cried in Jessica Park's Left Drowning.

Izzy I cried over The Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, Divergent, Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters, Harry Potter.

Izzy As you can see, I cry over a lot of books.

Andrea Tomé -'If I stay' and its sequel 'Where she went' (Gayle Forman) are hopeful, but also very, very sad.
-'The sky is everywhere' (Jandy Nelson) is all about loss and grief and continuing with your life when you're mourning.
-'Before I die' (Jennie Downham) is about a teenage girl dying of leukemia. It is very honest and very accurate, and the main character is just so believable and near.
-'Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe' (Benjamin Alire Saenz) deals with a lot of hard topics in the 1980s. You'll need tissues.
-'The book thief' (Markus Zusak) is set in 1930s-1940s Germany. Tragic.
-'Wintergirls' (Laurie Halse Anderson) is more hard than sad (it deals with anorexia and other eating disorders), but a recommended reading anyways.
-'The outsiders' (E.S. Hinton) is a YA classic that'll make you cry like a baby.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

message 11: by Shea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shea I'm a big book cryer so I wouldn't be surprised if you found none of these emotional at all considering you felt little in TFIOS.
1. The Divergent series, I cried a river, Veronica Roth
2. The Infernal Devises trilogy, Cassandra Clare
3. The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Colins
4. Hold Still by Nina Lacour
5. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Those are all that I can think of at the moment. Hope it helped.

message 12: by Line (new) - rated it 4 stars

Line Petersen ME BEFORE YOU!!!
By Jojo Moyes!
if you haven't read it, you have to.
IT'S Brilliant!!!!!!

message 13: by kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

kim • Well...

1. We were liars - E. Lockhart
2. Eleanor and Park - Rainbow Rowell
3. Allegiant - Veronica Roth
4. Before I fall - Lauren Oliver
5. The Hunger Games trilogy - Suzanne Collins
6. If I stay - Gayle Forman
7. Thirteen Reasons why - Jay Asher.

I cry a lot over books XD

Grace I bought the books If I Stay and Where She Went. Are they bound to make me cry? Will anything good happen in it after the accident? But I am sure I am going to read them cause I really like it so far.

Grace DIVERGENT, INSURGENT, ALLEGIANT

A, C. Read Hush by Jacqueline Woodson.

Nadia All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
I just finished reading it and considered it to be sad.

message 18: by Dua (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dua Yep, All The Bright Places hit me harder than TFIOS or 13 reason why. Ughh so sad, my heart isn't broken, it's absolutely CRUSHED. I want a wattpad book to be written immediately so I can read an alternate ending and get closure.

Ellie If I Stay - Gayle Foreman is a heartbreaker, I havent read the books after it but I plan to, The Book Thief - Marcus Zusack absolutely ruined me I've never cried so hard at a book, Marley and Me the book if youre a fan of dogs! If you dont care about awful endings then the Divergent Series is good, Before I Go To Sleep is so so interesting and keeps your mind at work as well as being very sad, PS I Love You by Cecilia Ahern if youre a sucker for love stories (and its a million times better than the film)

Sidney Cannan 1. Champion (the last book in the Legend series)
2. Allegiant (last book in the Divergent series)
3. Mockingjay (the last book in the Hunger Games series)
4. Clockwork Princess (last book in the Infernal Devices series)
5. If I stay
6. The outsiders
7. The Maze Runner

message 21: by Sorrel (last edited Feb 17, 2015 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sorrel The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender Definite recommendation! It's beautiful and tragic and it's really, really good.
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
Ooh and also, if you're up for a little bit of the French Revolution,
Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly The Red Necklace (French Revolution, #1) by Sally Gardner
Or, if you're Okay with Fantasy this whole series rips out your heart. Continuously.
The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy by Laini Taylor
And these two are more realism and all the more sad for it
Heart-Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne Black Heart Blue by Louisa Reid

Shiah Torn Away by Jennifer Brown is probably one of the best books I've ever read. It's about a girl who's mother and sister die in a tornado, and he step father decides he can't take care of her so he sends her away. I don't cry over many books and this one maybe me sob.

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe. Not exactly a realistic type book and I didn't really cry but it deals with a lot of loss that I found pretty crushing. A mysterious virus breaks out and starts killing a lot of people in the main characters life. It's a trilogy and even though it might not be considered tear worthy I definitely suggest it.

grace Eleanor and Park

Cathern 1) Allegiant-last book in divergent trilogy
2) City of heavenly fire-last book in mortal instruments series
3) Clockwork Princess- last book in infernal devices
These books all made me cry.

Clarizze Curaraton Clockwork Princess but its the 3rd book in the infernal devices tho.. YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY READ THE ENTIRE TRILOGY THO BC HOLY CRAP ITS SO FREAKIN WORTH IT

Autumn Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Alyssa the Reader Allegiant by Veronica Roth Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth

Alyssa the Reader We Were Liars by E. Lockhart We Were Liars by E. Lockhart