Kindred Spirits discussion

Fun Stuff > Discuss other works by LM Montogomery

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Curious if people here are fans of Emily of the New Moon series, Story Girl, Chronicles of Avonlea, and other short stories by LM Montgomery! I'd love chatting about books outside of the Green Gables series!

message 2: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Liza wrote: "I never read any of them (I know, tragic) other than Jane of Lantern Hill, but with this group I would love to read them."

I actually have not read Jane of Lantern Hill! We could do buddy reads within the group.

message 3: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Yeah I agree. Let's stick with the Anne series. I'll wait until you guys reach "Anne's house of dreams." buddy reads will also limit the scope of discussions within the group.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I've read 2 of the Emily books, Chronicles of Avonlea, Further Chronicles of Avonlea, and The Story Girl. Not a big fan of the Emily books. Emily just rubs me the wrong way. There's just something about her I do not like. The Story Girl and the rest I love though.

message 5: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Jessica wrote: "I've read 2 of the Emily books, Chronicles of Avonlea, Further Chronicles of Avonlea, and The Story Girl. Not a big fan of the Emily books. Emily just rubs me the wrong way. There's just something ..."

I felt the same away about the second and the third Emily books. What was that dilly-dallying and creepy engagement with Dean, who was like 3x her age! I loved LMM's descriptions of PEI island, though.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Me too! I want to plan a trip to PEI some day. Dean was pretty creepy. I think I liked Emily's aunts the best.

message 7: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Jessica wrote: "Me too! I want to plan a trip to PEI some day. Dean was pretty creepy. I think I liked Emily's aunts the best."

I did like Emily's Aunts. Her older aunt was crotchety but did have some pearls of wisdom. I also liked the food that they talked about and the huge kitchen at New Moon. My husband and I have talked about visiting PEI later this year. Apparently there's a 9.5 hr non-stop from SFO to Charlottetown!

message 8: by ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc (last edited Jan 31, 2015 01:56PM) (new)

ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc (rialistic) | 9 comments I like Emily Byrd Starr as much as Anne Shirley but I think that the Emily trilogy is better than Anne's series. It's darker, easier to follow and is better written, probably since they were written a long time after Anne of Green Gables was.

If you disagree, read this:

http://niftynotcool.com/2013/07/10/em...

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Steena, PEI is supposed to be the most beautiful part of Canada. I hope to make it there in the next year or 2.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ria, I don't agree that it's easier to follow. I don't think the Anne books or any other L.M. Montgomery books (or stories) are hard to follow.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Don't mean to sound like a jerk Ria. Sorry if I did. Just giving my opinion.

message 12: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Jessica wrote: "Steena, PEI is supposed to be the most beautiful part of Canada. I hope to make it there in the next year or 2."

I hope I can visit. What are your thoughts on the Story girl series? Did you ever watch the "Road to Avonlea" TV series?

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Story Girl is ok. Not one of my favorites but it's well written. What do you think? Never seen Road to Avonlea but hope to buy the DVDs some day. Have you seen it?

ᏒIᎪlᎥstᎥc (rialistic) | 9 comments Jessica wrote: "Ria, I don't agree that it's easier to follow. I don't think the Anne books or any other L.M. Montgomery books (or stories) are hard to follow."

By "easier to follow" I was thinking about the fact that Anne has many sequels with children and all sorts of characters while the Emily trilogy has less subplots and is much shorter. I found this a bit easier to read because of that.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ok. That makes sense Ria. I misunderstood what you meant sorry about that. I agree with you then. ; )

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna | 15 comments I want to read Jane of Lantern Hill but my library doesn't have it and I can't get it on inter-library loan. :(

message 17: by Maria (new)

Maria | 3 comments I've read all of L.M. Montgomery's fiction that has been published as well as some difficult to find stories. I re-read them at least once a year. Her older works are mostly free on kindle. PEI is amazing and beautiful, go in July or August otherwise (I think) it gets rather cold. Anyone else interested in her poetry or her journals? I have yet to tackle those.

message 18: by S.M. (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Maria wrote: "I've read all of L.M. Montgomery's fiction that has been published as well as some difficult to find stories. I re-read them at least once a year. Her older works are mostly free on kindle. PEI is..."

Awesome! I've been meaning to start on her journals, but i was confused about the different volumes (from different publishers), and whether they were abridged or not. Which versions are you looking at? I recently found out about the LMM literary society: http://lmmontgomeryliterarysociety.we...

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Maria I have not yet yet read any of her poetry or journals but look forward to doing so.

message 20: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 12 comments I've read Jane of Lantern Hill, Magic For Marigold, The Story Girl, Pat of Silver Bush, Atkins to Annie, the..Chronicles of Avonlea, and all three of the Emily books! (I dislike the last one in the series). Besides "almost" of the Anne books.:)

message 21: by Maria (last edited Feb 10, 2015 11:24AM) (new)

Maria | 3 comments I have the Oxford University Press selected journals that I found on a PEI website (it's been awhile, I can't recall which site) and recently got the books back from my mom. Definitely checking out the literary society! Just started the autobiography, The Alpine Path, on my kindle yesterday. I am looking into the complete journals of the PEI years.

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica That's cool. May I ask how much the complete journals cost you?

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Sorry Maria how much did the selected journals cost you.

message 24: by Maria (new)

Maria | 3 comments At the time, they were $40 I believe. Amazon has them for much less now.

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ok cool thank you!

message 26: by S.M. (last edited Feb 13, 2015 10:01AM) (new)

S.M. (rosemaryandmint) | 32 comments Maria wrote: "I have the Oxford University Press selected journals that I found on a PEI website (it's been awhile, I can't recall which site) and recently got the books back from my mom. Definitely checking ou..."

In a surprising turn of events, my wonderful bibliophile MIL is giving me the set of journals. She heard reviews on them this week and she knew who needed to have them! ;) In other news, I started Alpine Path last night because I had trouble sleeping. That and the fact it was only 99 cents in the Kindle store. I actually laughed out aloud at the part where she talks about the idiotic Mr Forbes referring to her as Johnny. Reminded me of Cecily King's indignation about the same fact in the the Story Girl!

message 27: by LobsterQuadrille (new)

LobsterQuadrille | 19 comments I have read all the Emily books, but they have never been my favorite L.M. Montgomery books. I think part of the reason was because I found Emily's friend Ilse kind of obnoxious...

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I 100% agree with you Victoria.

message 29: by LobsterQuadrille (new)

LobsterQuadrille | 19 comments Ha ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one, Jessica!

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I've read all but the last Emily book. Hasn't been my favorite series. I think the Aunts are my favorite.