Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Rants & Raves (Off Topic) > Historical Mysteries on TV and in Movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Feb 07, 2015 04:25AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1630 comments Mod
Shows and movies you've seen or heard about that focus on historical mysteries.
*Links go to Wikipedia entries

Master List of TV Shows

Agatha Christie's Marple (1920s) - ITV (2004-2013)
Agatha Christie's Poirot (1920s) - ITV (1989-2013)
The Bletchley Circle (1950s) - ITV (2012-2014)
Cadfael (Medieval) - ITV (1994-1998)
Doctor Blake Mysteries (Post WWII) - Australian Broadcasting Corporation (2013-present)
Father Brown (1950) - BBC (2013-present)
Foyle's War (WWII, Post WWII) - ITV (2002-2015)
Grantchester (1950s) - Masterpiece Theater (2014-present)
Miss Fisher's Mysteries (1920s) - Australian Broadcasting Corporation (2012-present)
The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries (1920s) - BBC (1998-2000)
Murdoch Mysteries (1890s) - CBC (2008-present)
Ripper Sreet (1889) - BBC One (2012-present)
Sally Lockhart (1870) - BBC (2006-2007)

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 26 comments Miss Fisher's Mysteries - 1920s
Doctor Blake Mysteries - Post WW2

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark | 23 comments Father Brown current bbc series 1950s.

message 4: by happy (last edited Feb 06, 2015 02:20PM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 147 comments Bro Cafael Mysteries with Sir Derek Jacobi, It was on air in the late 70's early 80s I think - IMO it is the all time best

There is also Foyle's War about a British Police Inspector during WW II - Seen on PBS on this side of the Atlantic :)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/p...

message 5: by Veronica (last edited Feb 06, 2015 02:23PM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments PBS/Masterpiece Theater is currently airing Granchester, based on the series by James Runcie about a sleuthing vicar.

Link for the show: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/p...

I've not read any of the books (of which there are four, I believe) and I only watched the first episode. It seemed okay but Sundays are hard nights for me as far as tv watching goes.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark | 23 comments Foyles war brilliant series.

Cadfeal were filmed 94 to 98, I thought they filmed over a much longer time than that.

message 7: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Foyle's War was great.

The best part of Granchester so far has been the Vicar (who's easy on the eyes, LOL!) but the mysteries are a bit meh.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 462 comments The Bletchley Circle - 1950s.
Mrs. Bradley Mysteries - 1920s. (Stars Diana Rigg. Made in the 80s, if I recall correctly.)
Sally Lockhart - 1870s.

I can think of more that have settings that are historical to us, but were contemporary to the novels the shows are based on, like Sherlock Holmes or Campion.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark | 23 comments Ripper street is a other one

message 10: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 81 comments Murdoch Mysteries http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091909/?... based on the Detective Murdoch series by Maureen Jennings

message 11: by Lauren (new)

These are all great everyone! Thanks.

I love Foyle's War is excellent and I've also watched and enjoyed Murdoch Mysteries and Sally Lockhart. I'll have to be on the lookout for others.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

There was also a really short lived BBC America production called Copper. I saw a few episodes but none of the characters were particularly likable so I called it quits. Has anyone else seen it?

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments I really liked Copper and was very sad when it was canceled after only two seasons.

I also love Ripper Street (Matthew Macfadyen!) and am looking forward to the third season starting on BBC America.

message 14: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 147 comments Mark wrote: "Foyles war brilliant series.

Cadfeal were filmed 94 to 98, I thought they filmed over a much longer time than that."

My mistake - I'm getting a little old and misremembered the date:)

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Veronica wrote: "I really liked Copper and was very sad when it was canceled after only two seasons.

I also love Ripper Street (Matthew Macfadyen!) and am looking forward to the third season starting on BBC America."

Matthew Macfadyen is my all-time favorite! Even though Ripper Street was a little violent/gory, I struggled through just to watch him! Can't wait for the new season...do you know when it's coming out?

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Lauren wrote: "There was also a really short lived BBC America production called Copper. I saw a few episodes but none of the characters were particularly likable so I called it quits. Has anyone else seen it?"

I watched a few episodes, but I couldn't get into it...

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Lauren wrote: "These are all great everyone! Thanks.

I love Foyle's War is excellent and I've also watched and enjoyed Murdoch Mysteries and Sally Lockhart. I'll have to be on the lookout for others."

My husband and I love Foyle, but couldn't get into Murdoch, though not for a lack of trying! It just always seems too sunny, for one thing! Is it always that sunny in Toronto? And everything looked too clean for that era.

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "The Bletchley Circle - 1950s.
Mrs. Bradley Mysteries - 1920s. (Stars Diana Rigg. Made in the 80s, if I recall correctly.)
Sally Lockhart - 1870s.

I can think of more that have settings that ar..."

I loved Bletchley Circle!

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments There is a great new series (only 2 seasons so far) called Endeavor, set in 1906's Britain, which is supposed to be a prequel of sorts to Morse.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 462 comments Yes, I liked Bletchley Circle a lot, and was sad there wasn't a third series.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments I was hoping there might still be one coming! No?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 462 comments The last I heard, it hadn't been renewed for a third season.

http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv/...

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Darn! I forgot, by the way, to mention George Gently. Set in England in the '60's. Really, really good!

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Michelle wrote: "My husband and I love Foyle, but couldn't get into Murdoch, though not for a lack of trying! It just always seems too sunny, for one thing! Is it always that sunny in Toronto? And everything looked too clean for that era. "

Yes, it is definitely on the lighter more humorous side. I love constable Crabtree, lol!

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Michelle wrote: "There is a great new series (only 2 seasons so far) called Endeavor, set in 1906's Britain, which is supposed to be a prequel of sorts to Morse."

Isn't it 1960s Britain? Morse wouldn't even have been a twinkle in 1906 ;0)

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Lauren wrote: "Michelle wrote: "My husband and I love Foyle, but couldn't get into Murdoch, though not for a lack of trying! It just always seems too sunny, for one thing! Is it always that sunny in Toronto? And ..."

Yes, I agree! Crabtree was good!

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Lauren wrote: "Michelle wrote: "There is a great new series (only 2 seasons so far) called Endeavor, set in 1906's Britain, which is supposed to be a prequel of sorts to Morse."

Isn't it 1960s Britain? Morse wou..."

oops! yes!

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Michelle wrote: "Matthew Macfadyen is my all-time favorite! Even though Ripper Street was a little violent/gory, I struggled through just to watch him! Can't wait for the new season...do you know when it's coming out? "

I don't know a specific date yet however, the entire third season is available on Amazon Prime video, if you have access to that.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Wow! Thanks!

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Ian McKellan will be playing an older Sherlock Holmes in a new film.

Here's the link to the Entertainment Weekly Article and Trailer

message 31: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 56 comments Lauren wrote: "Ian McKellan will be playing an older Sherlock Holmes in a new film.

Here's the link to the Entertainment Weekly Article and Trailer"

Lauren, I'd seen the trailer the other day and was so excited, can't wait to see this one!

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Sounds great! Can't wait! I love any Sherlock!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) I am looking forward to reading the book the movie is based on.

message 34: by Lauren (last edited Jul 27, 2015 11:13PM) (new)

So the Conan Doyle Estate is suing Miramax for copyright infringement over the Mr. Holmes film - The Hollywood Reporter Article.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 462 comments Hmm. They weren't successful in their first go-round on that one. Also, New Mexico?

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) Thanks for that article, Lauren!

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Hmm. They weren't successful in their first go-round on that one. Also, New Mexico?"

Yeah, they seem to be clutching at straws.

message 38: by Lauren (new)

New BBC show featuring Agatha Christie's Tommy and Tuppence. It's called Partners in Crime and is scheduled for September 2015 in both the US and the UK

UK - BBC's Partner in Crime

US - Acorn TV - Partner's in Crime

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 462 comments I remember they did a series of Partners in crime back in the early 80s - with Francesca Annis, I believe.

message 40: by Mark (new)

Mark | 23 comments Lauren wrote: "New BBC show featuring Agatha Christie's Tommy and Tuppence. It's called Partners in Crime and is scheduled for September 2015 in both the US and the UK

UK - BBC's Partner in Crime

US - Acorn TV ..."

Watched the first two episodes, not seeing David Walliams as Tommy.

message 41: by Mark (new)

Mark | 23 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "I remember they did a series of Partners in crime back in the early 80s - with Francesca Annis, I believe."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080336/?...

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 462 comments Yes, that's it.

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Vineeta wrote: "According to this article, BBC's Dickensian (which should air soon) is supposed to be a murder mystery involving lots of different Dickens characters:

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/tv-news/ne...-..."

This looks really good. Thanks for the info Vineeta :0)

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Vineeta wrote: "Just an update on Dickensian. From this trailer it looks like Inspector Bucket will investigate the murder of Jacob Marley in a neighborhood populated by Dickens characters...

https://www.youtube...."

This looks awesome!!!
Thanks for sharing!

message 45: by Benjamin L (new)

Benjamin L | 50 comments Who else planning to watch the BBC Sherlock special tonight The Abominable Bride? It's apparently a period one instead of contemporary! Looks fantastic!

message 46: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Has anyone watched the new, three part mini-series, "And Then There Were None" (Agatha Christie)?

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Veronica wrote: "Has anyone watched the new, three part mini-series, "And Then There Were None" (Agatha Christie)?"

I have it on my DVR - will watch it over the weekend.

message 48: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments I hope it gets released in the States soon.

message 49: by Benjamin L (new)

Benjamin L | 50 comments Vineeta wrote: I did! I've never really ..."

Murder Rooms? I'll have to find that. Sounds right up my alley.

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments I saw that advertised. Looks really good! Especially for Poldark fans!
Waiting for my husband to get home from a business trip to dive into Sherlock and Downton!

« previous 1 3