J.D. Robb discussion

Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
This topic is about Kisscut
Monthly Book Discussion Library > February Book Discussion - Kisscut by Karin Slaughter - Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Jan 30, 2015 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10203 comments Mod
Kisscut, Grant County Series #2, is the winner of our Feb. Book of the Month Poll. Many of us were introduced to Karin Slaughter's Grant County Series when Blindsighted won our Jan. Book of the Month Poll. Feel free to join in as we read & discuss Kisscut.
*Please Note - This will become a Spoiler Zone after Feb. 15th.
Kisscut (Grant County, #2) by Karin Slaughter Grant County Series

Saturday night dates at the skating rink have been a tradition in the small southern town of Heartsdale for as long as anyone can remember, but when a teenage quarrel explodes into a deadly shoot-out, Sara Linton--the town's pediatrician and medical examiner--finds herself entangled in a terrible tragedy.

What seemed at first to be a horrific but individual catastrophe proves to have wider implications. The autopsy reveals evidence of long-term abuse, of ritualistic self -mutilation, but when Sara and police chief Jeffrey Tolliver start to investigate, they are frustrated at every turn.

The children surrounding the victim close ranks. The families turn their backs. Then a young girl is abducted, and it becomes clear that the first death is linked to an even more brutal crime, one far more shocking than anyone could have imagined. Meanwhile, detective Lena Adams, still recovering from her sister's death and her own brutal attack, finds herself drawn to a young man who might hold the answers. But unless Lena, Sara, and Jeffrey can uncover the deadly secrets the children hide, it's going to happen again . . .

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Terrific! I was going to read it anyway. But too bad about the S.J. Bolton - I may have to look into that anyway.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 750 comments Can't wait to read this one. Loved the first book.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12967 comments Mod
Me, too!

Kirsten wrote: "Terrific! I was going to read it anyway. But too bad about the S.J. Bolton - I may have to look into that anyway."

Feel free to renominate another month if you like. I thought all nominations were potentially great reads!

message 6: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Woo Hoo its sitting on my bedside table with next Karen Rose book as they are the next 2 reads.

No because it was voted to be the monthly book for group discussion.

It could have been discussed in the BOM Author folder, as the 2nd book in a series, MsG. But since it was nominated for & won the Feb. BOM Poll, we'll discuss it here. Looking forward to it! :)

Dawn | 3237 comments Let me know when everyone has read it and I will join the discussions, since I binge read both series

Will do!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments I am ready for my reread on this one...it's been so long since I first read this book.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 500 comments starting to read today

Monica | 39 comments Yay! I was hoping for this one, I needed the extra push to start it.

I've started Kisscut. After a few minutes reading, I felt right back at home with Sara, Jeffrey, Lena & the others. And Slaughter wastes no time getting right into the heart of things.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments Sandra, Slaughter has a tendency to do that. I am reading Beyond Reach

message 17: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments And really to the heart of things. I should re-read do I remember what was and was not discussed in the book since I have finished all of them.

She also doesn't make relationships easy, does she?

message 19: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Nope and it only gets crazier as the series goes on.

Tracey (trakka) | 1 comments I'm starting Kisscut tonight.

Oh Dear Lord...there are no words to say what happens in Kisscut. I am in shock...just don't have words to discuss it yet.

message 22: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Have you finished it yet?

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 500 comments I am still disliking Sara why cant she just give Jeffrey another chance. with all that has gone on in the first book I would think she would be a little be softer

Dawn wrote: "Have you finished it yet?"

70% Dawn...OMG!!! Can't believe some of the things I'm reading. And knowing that the series apparently doesn't end on a hea note isn't helping. I can get through anything if I know I'll get a hea at the end. Very heart-sad book when you think about what's happening.

message 25: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I shouldn't have freaked out at the end. I guess once we get into Will Trent the concept of HEA evolves. It just wasn't the one I wanted. Karin Slaughter has stated she understood the reader's outrage but she had to be true to vision she has of the story. But there is a huge evolution in the end. Her criminals are really scary people and our heroes and heroines are so messed up it all keeps me shocked. Trying not to discuss this one more specifically until more have read it

I understand freaking out - even though I love these books that really mess with your mind and the characters. They always keep me on the edge of my seat...you never know what's coming next. I'm in for the long haul, as I intend to read all the books in both series.

message 27: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I was much happier by the end of Will Trent. Well, the end so far. I guess her next book could devastate me. I have learned to take nothing for granted with these books.

S White | 27 comments I haven't read the first book in this series but I started reading this book I feel like I'm missing part of the story, like I started watching a movie in the middle. I'm only on chapter 5. Should I stop reading and read the other book first?

message 29: by Sandra (last edited Feb 09, 2015 03:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes. You really should read Blindsighted. You will meet these characters in that one & major events happen that will explain actions in Kisscut...esp. Lena.

I just finished Kisscut & truly don't know what to say. This author is a master storyteller - weaves a plot with the best of them. Her characters are conveyed so very real - I felt their pain. This one really did break my heart.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 750 comments Just started it. This author really grabs your attention right from the start.

message 32: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Oh wow, I can't imagine starting with this book without reading Blindsighted first. Definitely stop and go back.

Slaughter has crazy skills at fooling us as well. If it is the last thing you would expect...expect it. Now you know why I binged it right Sandra? I just could not wait to find out what happens in the next minute.

Yes, Dawn. I understand perfectly why you binged it! omg. The shocks just keep coming right up through the last page.

message 34: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments And the rest of the books are just as intense if not more. The end of this book freaked me out as well. You just want it to end differently.

Oh I agree! That's a twist I didn't see coming...I mean the way it all went down at the last. And I'm not sure my heart will stand any more intensity!! lol

message 36: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I am not sure I had any of the finale's down in my head before the hammer dropped. And even though I was very angry at the end of this series and swore not to read Will Trent, I only made it about 4 days until I couldn't stand not knowing.

You do know who the villain is in Kisscut before the end, but Slaughter still shocked me on the last couple of pages. At least I know going in that I will need to read the Trent series to get any real satisfaction. :)

message 38: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Sometimes the who isn't the whole story. Like in this one the how, who and why. But the very end just freaked me out. She invented the word Cliffhanger in my mind. Even other on-going series like Faces of Evil, didn't keep me frantic to find out what happens the next day like these. I can't wait for you to get all caught up. Only 4 more months to go lol.

So true - the "who" isn't the whole story & it's definitely not the climax of Kisscut, imo. The ending was like the final knife to the heart & she twisted it! Does book 3 pick right up where this one ends?

message 40: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments If I remember right they all do. Picks up like the next day or something. They are all very connected. No way someone can skip around and be able to keep up. Same with Will Trent. I skipped the first two and Jonetta told me to go back. Once I did I really got all I had missed.

I think I'm going to try to pick up the first 2 Will Trent soon - while I'm reading GC as I've been told the 2 series/characters don't merge until book 3. I know when I finish book 6 of GC, I'm going to need to be ready for book 3 of WT. But we'll see how it goes.

message 42: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I think you are okay in the first two but do NOT read 3 until you have finished GC.

I won't...that's what I was told. That I could go ahead and get the first 2 books read and be ready for #3 and #6 in GC.

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 500 comments just finished and had to get book 3 to keep going. am waiting for everyone to finish as there is a lot to talk about. Do the Will Trent series coincide with the GC series or are they separate.

message 45: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments They merge at book 3 of Will Trent.

This thread will become a spoiler zone Sunday. Looking forward to discussing this one!

Tracey (trakka) | 1 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "This thread will become a spoiler zone Sunday. Looking forward to discussing this one!"

So am I! I should finish it tomorrow morning.

I started listening to it yesterday and couldn't stop. I'm about 4 hours in (~1/3) and am hooked. I've vacillated on my opinion of Lena now about 17 times. And, Jeffrey's on my %$ list.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments Jonetta your feelings for Lena will continue throughout but will get worse LOL. I have this love/hate thing going for her. I love to hate her but find myself wanting more of her as I went through the series.

message 50: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments These emotions continue and often get worse throughout this series and into the next. Trust me. Now you understand why this became a binge read right?

« previous 1 3