Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Reading > New Releases in Historical Mysteries (2015)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Jan 01, 2016 12:48AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Looking forward to the latest installment in your favorite series or a new book by a new author. Come and tell us.

Master List

January
Shadow of the Raven (Dr. Thomas Silkstone, #5) by Tessa Harris Death of a Dishonorable Gentleman (Lady Montfort Mystery #1) by Tessa Arlen A Fine Summer's Day (Inspector Ian Rutledge #17) by Charles Todd The Body Snatchers Affair (Carpenter and Quincannon #3) by Marcia Muller

February
Dreaming Spies (Mary Russell, #13) by Laurie R. King Murder in the Queen's Garden (Elizabethan Mysteries #3) by Amanda Carmack And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1) by Tasha Alexander (audiobook)

March
Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr #10) by C.S. Harris The Hidden Man (Cragg & Fidelis Mystery #3) by Robin Blake The Mourning Bells (Lady of Ashes, #4) by Christine Trent

April
The Other Side of Midnight by Simone St. James Deadly Election (Flavia Albia Mystery, #3) by Lindsey Davis

May
Murder on Amsterdam Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #17) by Victoria Thompson Death Ex Machina (The Athenian Mysteries, #5) by Gary Corby Anatomy of Evil (Barker & Llewelyn, #7) by Will Thomas The Harvest Man (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #4) by Alex Grecian

June
A Study in Death (Lady Darby, #4) by Anna Lee Huber Death in Salem (Will Rees, #4) by Eleanor Kuhns

July
Dead Line A Sage Adair Historical Mystery of the Pacific Northwest (Sage Adair Mysteries, #5) by S.L. Stoner The Suspicion at Sanditon (Or, The Disappearance of Lady Denham) (Mr. and Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #7) by Carrie Bebris

August
A Pattern of Lies (Bess Crawford, #7) by Charles Todd A Gilded Grave (Newport Gilded Age, #1) by Shelley Freydont Malice at the Palace (Her Royal Spyness #9) by Rhys Bowen

September
A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell Mystery, #1) by Deanna Raybourn Come Hell or Highball (Discreet Retrieval Agency, #1) by Maia Chance Corridors of the Night (William Monk, #21) by Anne Perry

October
The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10) by Tasha Alexander Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante (Maggie Hope, #5) by Susan Elia MacNeal The Third Place by J. Sydney Jones

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 463 comments Dreaming Spies by Laurie R. King is out the middle of February (the 17th, I think).

It's one of her Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series (GR's database says 13th), and set in 1924/1925. It's set on a steamship to Japan, in Japan, and also in Oxford. (I had an ARC and really enjoyed it.)

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr #10) by C.S. Harris comes out March 3rd. I will be attending an author signing in Houston on the 5th so I am very excited!

And it's still a few months away but Murder on Amsterdam Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #17) by Victoria Thompson comes out May 5th.

message 4: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 261 comments Even further into the future...

A Study in Death (Lady Darby, #4) by Anna Lee Huber is due out July 7.

A Pattern of Lies (Bess Crawford, #7) by Charles Todd is out August 18.

Deanna Raybourn reported on her blog that she has finished the first installment of her new Victorian-era mystery series. It's titled "A Curious Beginning" and the heroine's name is Veronica Speedwell. Publication is supposed to happen sometime in the fall of 2015.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 463 comments Gary Corby's Death Ex Machina - due May 19th. Fifth in series set in classical Athens.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Meghan wrote: "Deanna Raybourn reported on her blog that she has finished the first installment of her new Victorian-era mystery series. It's titled "A Curious Beginning" and the heroine's name is Veronica Speedwell. Publication is supposed to happen sometime in the fall of 2015. ."

Thanks Meghan. I love her Lady Julia series.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Gary Corby's Death Ex Machina - due May 19th. Fifth in series set in classical Athens."

Thanks for the info, Susanna.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Meghan wrote: "Even further into the future...

A Study in Death (Lady Darby, #4) by Anna Lee Huber is due out July 7.

A Pattern of Lies (Bess Crawford, #7) by Charles Todd is out August 18.

Deanna Raybourn reported on her blog that she ha..."

The Lady Darby series is coming up fast in my, admittedly flexible, reading plans. And I'm excited to see what Deanna Raybourn does with a new series. And her new heroine shares my name! :)

message 9: by Lauren (last edited Feb 02, 2015 12:27PM) (new)

Historical mysteries reviewed in the January 2015 issue of RT Magazine:

Death of a Dishonorable Gentleman: A Mystery by Tessa Arlen
RT Rating: - ★★★★
Series: Lady Monforte Mysteries #1
Time period: Edwardian (1912)

A Fine Summer's Day by Charles Todd
RT Rating: - ★★★
Series: Inspector Ian Rutledge #17
Time period: Edwardian (1914)

The Body Snatchers Affair by Marcia Muller
Series: Carpenter & Quincannon #3
Time period: 1890s San Francisco

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Historical mysteries reviewed in the February 2015 issue of RT Magazine:

A Woman Unknown by Frances Brody
RT Rating: - ★★★★1/2
Series: Kate Shackleton #4
Time period: Edwardian (post WWI)

Murder in the Queen's Garden by Amanda Carmack
Series: Elizabethan Mysteries #3
Time period: Elizabethan

Shadow of the Raven by Tessa Harris
Series: Dr. Thomas Silkstone #5
Time period: Georgian (1784)

Doctor Death by Lene Kaaberbøl
Series: Madeleine Karno #1 (originally published in 2010)
Time period: 1894 France

message 11: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 261 comments Veronica wrote: "
The Lady Darby series is coming up fast in my, admittedly flexible, reading plans. And I'm excited to see what Deanna Raybourn does with a new series. And her new heroine shares my name! :)"

I just discovered Lady Darby at the end of December and have caught up on it already. I'm not sure how I missed it before; it's fast become a favorite as well!

Lauren wrote: "Historical mysteries reviewed in the January 2015 issue of RT Magazine:"

Ooh, this is great information! Thanks!

message 12: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 147 comments Tnx Lauren

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Some others coming in 2015 include The Invention of Fire in April (sequal to A Burnable Book) and the third of the Timothy Wilde Mysteries The Fatal Flame

Im seeing a distinct theme of conflagration this year

message 14: by Merle (new)

Merle (merletau70) | 146 comments Veronica wrote: "Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr #10) by C.S. Harris comes out March 3rd. I will be attending an author signing in Houston on the 5th so I am very excited!

And it's still a few months away but [bookcover:Mur..."

These are exactly what I'd have suggested! Thanks, Veronica!

message 15: by Merle (new)

Merle (merletau70) | 146 comments I'll also add Death in Salem, by Eleanor Kuhns, the next Will Rees American Historical.

Death in Salem (Will Rees, #4) by Eleanor Kuhns

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1087 comments A sequel to A Burnable Book means I should move it up on my TBR list.

And A Dangerous Place, the next Maisie Dobbs is due March 17.

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Paisley wrote: "Some others coming in 2015 include The Invention of Fire in April (sequal to A Burnable Book) and the third of the Timothy Wilde Mysteries [book:The Fatal Flame|2304..."

Im seeing a distinct theme of conflagration this year

Lol! Yes, it looks that way :0)

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Updated the master list with all the new releases so far.

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments Nice! The master list at the top makes it very easy to see at a glance what comes out when. Thanks for doing this, Lauren.

message 20: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 261 comments Lauren wrote: "Updated the master list with all the new releases so far."

Love the master list! Thanks!

message 21: by Lauren (new)

And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1) by Tasha Alexander is now available on audiobook.

message 22: by Merle (new)

Merle (merletau70) | 146 comments Death in Salem is expected June 16th in case you want to add it to the Master List.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Merle wrote: "Death in Salem is expected June 16th in case you want to add it to the Master List."

Thanks Merle. Adding it now.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Historical mysteries reviewed in the March 2015 issue of RT Magazine:

Dreaming Spies by Laurie R. King
Series: Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes #13
Time period: Edwardian

The Hidden Man by Robin Blake
Series: Cragg & Fidelis Mystery #3
Time period: Georgian (1741)

Who Buries the Dead by C. S. Harris
Series: Sebastian St. Cyr #10
Time period: Regency

message 25: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 261 comments Per Goodreads, the next Lady Emily book (The Adventuress) is set for release October 13.

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Meghan wrote: "Per Goodreads, the next Lady Emily book (The Adventuress) is set for release October 13."

Thanks Meghan. Adding it to the master list.

message 27: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 24, 2015 03:23PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 463 comments April 28th: The Alchemist's Daughter by Mary Lawrence - The Alchemist's Daughter by Mary Lawrence. Set in 1543 London.

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Historical mysteries reviewed in the April 2015 issue of RT Magazine:

The Other Side of Midnight by Simone St. James
Time period: 1920s

The Angel Court Affair by Anne Perry (originally published in September 2014)
Series: Charlotte & Thomas Pitt #30
Time period: Victorian

The Mourning Bells by Christine Trent
Series: Lady of Ashes #4

message 29: by Veronica (last edited Apr 15, 2015 09:22AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments What a coincidence, I just started The Other Side of Midnight The Other Side of Midnight by Simone St. James over the weekend. I didn't have a lot of time for reading so I'm still only a few chapters in but I'm liking it so far. That said, it's set in 1925 and I don't really have a strong sense of the time period yet.

message 31: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 261 comments September 1, 2015: A Curious Beginning, Deanna Raybourn's new series.

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Thanks Susanna and Meghan. I've added the books to the master list.

@Vernoica, looking forward to your comments on The Other Side of Midnight by Simone St. James

message 33: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) | 249 comments Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante (Maggie Hope, #5) by Susan Elia MacNeal - is due out October 27th.

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Gretchen wrote: "Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante (Maggie Hope, #5) by Susan Elia MacNeal- is due out October 27th."

Added. Thanks Gretchen.

message 35: by Lauren (last edited Jun 05, 2015 12:05PM) (new)

Historical mysteries reviewed in the May 2015 issue of RT Magazine:

Murder on Amsterdam Avenue by Victoria Thompson
Series: Gaslight Mystery #17

The Harvest Man by Alex Grecian
Series: The Murder Squad #4

message 36: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) | 249 comments Fiona Buckley has a new Ursula Blanchard novel coming in October. It's titled A Perilous Alliance but I can't find a title on Goodreads for it yet. I am hesitant to read another Blanchard novel as I'm of the belief this series needed to end about six books ago. My curiosity will more than likely get the better of me and I'll read it anyway.

message 37: by Merle (new)

Merle (merletau70) | 146 comments Lauren wrote: "Historical mysteries reviewed in the May 2015 issue of RT Magazine:

Series: Gaslight Mystery Pitt #17
Time peri..."

I think that should be Brandt and Malloy #17 (not Pitt)

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Merle wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Historical mysteries reviewed in the May 2015 issue of RT Magazine:

Series: Gaslight Mystery Pit..."

Thanks Merle. Its the Gaslight Mystery series.

message 39: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Stoner (slstoner) | 6 comments Dead Line: Sage Adair Historical Mystery Sage Adair Historical Mystery series by S.L. Stoner. Release date of July 15, 2015, Early 1900’s Pacific Northwest

message 40: by Lauren (new)

S.L. wrote: "Dead Line: Sage Adair Historical Mystery Sage Adair Historical Mystery series by S.L. Stoner. Release date of July 15, 2015, Early 1900’s Pacific Northwest"

This book is not on Goodreads, S. L. You can create the book and I'll add it to the list.

message 41: by Merle (new)

Merle (merletau70) | 146 comments Lauren wrote: "S.L. wrote: "Dead Line: Sage Adair Historical Mystery Sage Adair Historical Mystery series by S.L. Stoner. Release date of July 15, 2015, Early 1900’s Pacific Northwest"

This book is not on Goodr..."

I see that this is number 5 in the series beginning with Timber Beasts? Is that right?

message 42: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Stoner (slstoner) | 6 comments Merle wrote: "Lauren wrote: "S.L. wrote: "Dead Line: Sage Adair Historical Mystery Sage Adair Historical Mystery series by S.L. Stoner. Release date of July 15, 2015, Early 1900’s Pacific Northwest"

This book ..."

Merle wrote: "Lauren wrote: "S.L. wrote: "Dead Line: Sage Adair Historical Mystery Sage Adair Historical Mystery series by S.L. Stoner. Release date of July 15, 2015, Early 1900’s Pacific Northwest"

This book ..."

Lauren, yes. It is number 5 with Timber Beasts being the first one.

message 43: by Meghan (last edited Jul 23, 2015 08:01PM) (new)

Meghan | 261 comments August 4, 2015: Malice at the Palace, the latest Royal Spyness mystery.

October 1, 2015: The Third Place, the latest in J. Sydney Jones's Viennese Mystery series. GR has a link for the Kindle edition but nothing else at the moment (that I could find, anyway).

message 44: by Irene (new)

Irene (ireneh) | 28 comments Deadly Elections by Lindsey Davis. Third Flavia Albia mystery. Davis in fine fettle.

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Thanks Meghan and Irene.

Irene, Deadly Elections was published in April so its already out there :0)

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Historical mysteries reviewed in the June 2015 issue of RT Magazine:

Death in Salem by Eleanor Kuhns
Series: Will Rees #4
Time period: Post Colonial America

The Tapestry by Nancy Bilyeau
Series: Joanna Stafford #3
Time period: Tudor England

Superfluous Women by Carola Dunn
Series: Daisy Dalrymple #22
Time period: Post WWI England

The Darkness Rolling by Win & Meredith Blevins
Time period: Post WWII

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Historical mysteries reviewed in the July 2015 issue of RT Magazine:

A Study in Death by Anna Lee Huber
Series: Lady Darby #4
Time period: Georgian Era

The Suspicion at Sanditon (Or, The Disappearance of Lady Denham) by Carrie Bebris
Series: Mr & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries #7
Time period: Regency

message 48: by Lauren (new)

Historical mysteries reviewed in the August 2015 issue of RT Magazine:

A Gilded Grave by Shelley Freydont
Series: Newport Gilded Age #1
Time period: Gilded Age in America

The Devil's Seal by Peter Tremayne
Series: Sister Fidelma #25
Time period: Medieval

Malice at the Palace by Rhys Bowen
Series: Royal Spyness #9
Time period: Post WWI England

message 49: by Lauren (new)

Historical mysteries reviewed in the September 2015 issue of RT Magazine:

Jade Dragon Mountain by Elsa Hart
Time period: 18th Century, China

Corridors of the Night by Anne Perry
Series: William Monk #21
Time period: Victorian England

Come Hell or Highball by Maia Chance
Series: Discreet Retrieval Agency #1
Time period: Prohibition Era in America

message 50: by Lauren (new)

Master list updated

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.