Read Runners discussion

Archives > February 2015 Read - A Walk To Remember

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments Every April, when the wind blows from the sea and mingles with the scent of lilacs, Landon Carter remembers his last year at Beaufort High. It was 1958, and Landon had already dated a girl or two. He even swore that he had once been in love. Certainly the last person in town he thought he'd fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the daughter of the town's Baptist minister.

A quiet girl who always carried a Bible with her schoolbooks, Jamie seemed content living in a world apart from the other teens. She took care of her widowed father, rescued hurt animals, and helped out at the local orphanage. No boy had ever asked her out. Landon would never have dreamed of it.

Then a twist of fate made Jamie his partner for the homecoming dance, and Landon Carter's life would never be the same. Being with Jamie would show him the depths of the human heart and lead him to a decision so stunning it would send him irrevocably on the road to manhood...

It's the month of Love so it is not surprising that Romance is the chosen genre. Do join us in reading this highly rated love story. Happy reading and Happy Valentines' Day in advance!

P.S- Don't forget to use spoiler tags!

message 2: by IShita (new)

IShita I've seen the movie and read the book. I loved it. I don't usually say that about YAs because even though i read quite a few, they're all the same. This was no different. But for some reason- I love it.
Think I might join in for a re-read :)

message 3: by Ishi (new)

Ishi Bhanot | 14745 comments Have read it once. Loved it. Might join for a reread if I get time. Will def. join for discussions. :-) :-)

message 4: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments I'm going to read this one. I liked the movie but I didn't like the only Sparks novel I read, The Notebook. Really boring characters but I liked the movie there as well. Not sure about this one so I think I'm going to take a look.

message 5: by IShita (new)

IShita Yeah, I thought The Notebook book is overrated. I didn't like the book as much as the movie either. A Walk to Remember is just like any other tragic YA but it was one of those books I loved for no reason at all. I think it was because I saw the movie first and those cute teenaged faces got to me!

message 6: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments I love the songs! Only Hope is still on my playlist. And both versions! That movie was too cute.

The Notebook, oh don't even get me started.

message 7: by IShita (new)

IShita Me too. It was on my 'most played' list for a really long time! And there was also this other song I don't remember the name of but it was so beautiful!

message 8: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 1531 comments This was my first Sparks novel, and still the best so far. I saw the movie a few months ago and liked that too.

message 9: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments Ipshita, I was so disappointed by The Notebook that I didn't venture into another one. Let's see what I feel about this one.

Haha, me too! She was and Shane was pretty awesome as well!

message 10: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 1531 comments I haven't read Notebook yet. Not sure if I really want to after reading all the mixed reviews about it.

message 11: by IShita (new)

IShita I knew you'd have your expert comments, Ipshi XD
But no, he's way too cute to be sexy! And please don't ruin that innocent teenaged crush of mine *hides face*

Shin- okay, maybe not ever night :P
But I loved that long verse which she reads from her book; or rather Langdon reads it to her- "love is always patient and kind...."
I have it underlined in the book and saved in my notes on the phone.. Still!

message 12: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments Ipshita wrote: "I haven't read Notebook yet. Not sure if I really want to after reading all the mixed reviews about it."

I found it terribly overrated! The movie was so good. Why couldn't Sparks write it like that? *grumble*

message 13: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 1531 comments Jins,I'll try watching the movie then.

Ishu, I think that verse was taken from the Bible.

message 14: by IShita (new)

IShita Shin- I agree. The book is way too overrated. I wasn't nearly as moved by it as by the movie. Such a disappointment.

Ipshi- no, it was from a book in which there were all these great verses and poems by all the great poets and writers and people like that.

message 15: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 1531 comments Pretty sure that quote is taken from the Bible. It's Love is patient, Love is kind, Love endures....or something like that, right?

message 16: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments Ishita, that quote is actually a modified version of The Bible text.

Notice the similarities?

From The Bible:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

The Movie Quote:

Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful or conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful.

message 17: by IShita (new)

IShita I've never read the Bible version so I didn't know that. Thanks :)
Both of them are soo beautiful!

lol, when I started the book, I thought I was gonna end up crying coz I'd heard people say that. Towards the end- I was trying, literally trying, to get myself to shed some tears and when I didn't after the end? I thought either people were dumb or there was something seriously wrong with me. Then I saw the movie, I shed a tear or two when it ended and I said to myself- people are dumb.

IPSHI- have you read The Best Of Me? I liked it a little. The movie just came out, too.

message 18: by Annette (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 346 comments One of my favorite novels :)

message 19: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments Ishita, yes beautiful words. Haven't read The Bible either but I've read some parts.

You're talking about The Notebook right? I didn't cry a single tear while reading the book. The movie ending did see me crying for a bit but not as much as the reviews kept saying I would. The book was a complete and utter letdown so I'm wary about this one. Hopefully this wouldn't be that bad.

Annette, we'll be reading this thanks to your nomination. Do be around to discuss with us. :)

message 20: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 1531 comments Ishu- No, I haven't but I've read the summary. I'm not really a fan of second-chance romance so I didn't consider it. I've only read Dear John and The Lucky One.

message 21: by IShita (new)

IShita Shin- agree. I'm starting to think both, the movie and the book, are overrated. Book more so. I did shed some tears but I wasn't weeping or anything as people had me believe *eye roll*
With this one- Don't hope for a brilliant writing experience. Only the story gets to you, not the writing. And I'll tell you the rest after you've read it :)
I want to read The Bible. Always have.

Ipshi- it's okay, not great but good nonetheless. I've read those too. Liked Dear John a lot. Swooned all over my laptop over Channing Tatum. Wasn't really moved by The Lucky One. Swooned all over my laptop over Zack Efron *__*

message 22: by Annette (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 346 comments Shinjini wrote: "Ishita, yes beautiful words. Haven't read The Bible either but I've read some parts.

You're talking about The Notebook right? I didn't cry a single tear while reading the book. The movie ending di..."

Of course, I'l be in and around the thread .I am waiting to hear your opinion (hopefully good) on the book

message 23: by Rajashree (new)

Rajashree | 53 comments sparks has d habit of killing one of d couples bt still his novels hold an appeal . i really liked A walk to remember n Guardian d best . n i m looking forward to reading d The last song :)

message 24: by Ishi (new)

Ishi Bhanot | 14745 comments @Rajashree: I liked the Last Song a LOT. Please do read it. :-) :-)

message 25: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 1531 comments Ishu- I've watched Dear John years after reading the book, both seemed mediocre to me. Haven't watched The Lucky One, and most probably won't since the book didn't catch my interest as much.

~~Poulomi Sylphrena Tonk$~~ | 5902 comments I loved The Guardian. I loved Singer, the Great Dane so much. Its my favourite Sparks book. :)

The Notebook, well, I liked the book somewhat when I read it years ago. It was my first Sparks.

A walk to remember, I read the book, but I don't remember much of it. But I loved the movie. Jamie and Langdon! ^____^

About Sparks, its just my personal opinion, but I think he is a bit overrated. After a while, his books become routine, and you lose interest. Well, that's what happened to me atleast.

I prefer John Green to Sparks. I feel like I can connect to his characters better. :)

message 27: by Annette (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 346 comments Ishi wrote: "@Rajashree: I liked the Last Song a LOT. Please do read it. :-) :-)"

even I liked it a lot ishi

message 28: by Ishi (new)

Ishi Bhanot | 14745 comments That's great Annette. :-) :

message 29: by Morgan (new)

Morgan I've seen the movie and did not like it. I haven't read any Nicolas Sparks though, so I may give it a go.

message 30: by Purvika (last edited Feb 03, 2015 08:32PM) (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 2432 comments I have read the book and loved it. The story gets to you. It is not some extraordinary story but a simple one of simple lives which can make your heart melt.

The notebook was kind of irritating for me, a disappointment. Though Sparks potion for story is simple. Get two people..make them fall in love in tragic ccircumstances then kill one of them, still it lacked the depth a story need. The overhyped reviews added fuel to the irritation. I am normally a cry baby when it comes to emo stories... But when this one got over I was like.. Phew finally it finished. I think The notebook made a halt on my journey of sparks read. :/

message 31: by Annette (last edited Feb 04, 2015 10:50PM) (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 346 comments Purvika wrote: "I have read the book and loved it. The story gets to you. It is not some extraordinary story but a simple one of simple lives which can make your heart melt.

The notebook was kind of irritating f..."

Morgan wrote: "I've seen the movie and did not like it. I haven't read any Nicolas Sparks though, so I may give it a go."

I am sad about what you said there ,I love his writing ,but the notebook was not upto the mark compared to his other works though I liked it .I mean what can you expect from a fan !! but you can try The Last Song if you have not read that .That was pretty good .

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I have both read this book and seen the movie. I found the writing a little dragging, and feel like this is one of the few times I say I preferred the movie to the book.

message 33: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Maggie wrote: "I have both read this book and seen the movie. I found the writing a little dragging, and feel like this is one of the few times I say I preferred the movie to the book."

That's not encouraging :) I'm looking to get started on it now.

message 34: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments I'm going to start on Valentine's Day. It just sounds like a nice day to start the book. Anyone started yet?

message 35: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) I hope someone is reading this book and will discuss it soon. :)

Those who have already read this book, can ideally start discussions. Just make sure that you use spoiler tags to ensure that you don't spoil it for others. :)

message 36: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 2432 comments Ok I started this ... Its so good to read it after such a long time. I had forgotten most of the scenes :D

How far are you guys. Who all are reading anyway ? I so want to discuss it :D

message 37: by Morgan (new)

Morgan I finished the book today. I do not recommend reading it while at the gym. People probably wondered why I kept tearing up on the treadmill. I found it less cheesy than the movie. It was fairly decent.

message 38: by Purvika (last edited Feb 15, 2015 08:16PM) (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 2432 comments Yeah, it isn't cheesy at all. I loved the way Jamie always carried the bible around. I am halfway through the book . will be done by night.

message 39: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Purvika, Morgan and Annette - Why don't you start putting up points about the book. You could start the discussions and then others would hopefully follow and comment on the questions asked or on your points.

message 40: by Annette (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 346 comments Il say what i loved most about the book,i have not read the book in recent times.so it may be little vague.

The first thing i loved was Landon's transformation .
Even i wondered how did they end up together seeeing that both were poles apart
.Being a christian myself , i loved how sparks used the Verses from the Bible in this novel.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres"

I Loved the fact that he made the readers to guess the miracle. So guys, what do you think was the Miracle?

message 41: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Annette wrote: "Il say what i loved most about the book,i have not read the book in recent times.so it may be little vague.

Even i wondered how did they end u..."

I think that the miracle was that even though they were 'poles apart' they still managed to find each other and fall in love.

I also found it interesting that they both had parents who played both mother and father to them in that Jamie's mother had died and Landon's father was largely out of town. How do you think that affected their development?

message 42: by Annette (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 346 comments Both their parents affected them in a positive way . At first , Jamie's dad was rude towards Landon, but after seeing Landon's love for Jamie, his opinion towards Landon changes.

The miracle for me was that she won against the battle and she lived ,I always wanted her to live . but in the film, they showcased it differently . Love the film as well as the book. So did the film do justice to the novel!?How many of you have seen the movie!?

message 43: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments I finished this! This book was so good I finished it in about 2 days even with exams etc. I really liked it and it was a really sweet experience for me.

A friend told me that A Walk to Remember is much like Love Story by Eric Segal and yes, I found some similarities in the two books, but both have many things unique to them as well. My faith in Nicholas Sparks is renewed after the debacle that was The Notebook. I have to ask, (view spoiler)

What did you think about Jamie and Landon?

message 44: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments Morgan wrote: "Annette wrote: "Il say what i loved most about the book,i have not read the book in recent times.so it may be little vague.

Even i wondered ho..."

I think this was the one thing that they both had in common. They both had a parent that they had lost in some way or another. This probably made them value each other more because they both knew how it felt.

I am still unsure about the miracle but for some reason,(view spoiler)

message 45: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments Annette wrote: "Both their parents affected them in a positive way . At first , Jamie's dad was rude towards Landon, but after seeing Landon's love for Jamie, his opinion towards Landon changes.

The miracle for ..."

I have seen the film and I really enjoyed it! It didn't do complete justice to the book but that helped me enjoy the book more because the story was different and I didn't know the direction the story was going beforehand. I like it when that happens when I haven't read a particular book. Not so much when the film version is of a book I've read and loved, though.

I think both the movie and the book are good in their own right and I really liked them both.

message 46: by IShita (new)

IShita Both of them are beautiful in their own special ways. I have never been able to say which I loved more!

I think the miracle is that they both managed to find that biblical love that always seem too good to be true. I mean, isn't that the real miracle after all?
Id seen the movie long back and I liked it so much that I just had to read the book for, as experience has it, the books are usually better than the movie. But I was wrong. The book was just as good as the movie, if not better. Them both had some differences but nothing really considerable.

For me too, I think, the best part was Langdon's transformation. It was so sweet to watch him turn himself upside down for Jamie! I hadn't reread the book recently so excuse me if I confuse this part with the movie but I loved that scene where he tells her he's gonna kiss her and she's like "I may be bad at it" and he goes "that's not possible".. Uh!

message 47: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 2432 comments @Shinjini ... (view spoiler)

message 48: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments Purvika, (view spoiler)

message 49: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 3174 comments Ishita, that is probably from the movie but the book was really sweet and absolutely adorable. Both are truly special even though they had some differences. Landon really changes himself only for Jamie and it was so lovely to go through!

I loved Landon's narration in the story. Very easy-going but not too casual. Also serious and heartfelt when required.

message 50: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) | 2432 comments @Shinjini - I completely agree with you ! (view spoiler)

« previous 1