You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Iron Council (New Crobuzon, #3)
This topic is about Iron Council
Buddy Reads > Iron Council

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18168 comments Esther and I are reading Iron Council which is book 3 in the New Crobuzon/Bas-Lag series by China Miéville. We will be starting it after the toppler finishes, so around 15th February. Feel free to join us...

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18168 comments Just starting this now. I am curious about where this will head. I know it will be connected but not directly to the others. I wonder if we'll meet any of the old cast of characters.

message 3: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther (nyctale) | 4214 comments I only read a few pages. I am at my usual mode with this series. I am utterly confused for a chapter or 2....

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18168 comments I read the prologue and chapter 1 but same as you - confused. But that's quite normal at this stage. I'm intrigued about who they are seeking and why the militia stormed their meet up. Oh and there is a sense of foreboding that the animals of the jungle are discomfited with the arrival of that group of people.

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18168 comments I feel like I'm getting in to the swing of things now. Part 1 (view spoiler)

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18168 comments Part 2 - up to end of ch7 (view spoiler)

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18168 comments After feeling like I'd just started to understand what was going on and enjoying the book, I've just started a part called Anamnesis which is between Part 3 and Part 4 and I really am not enjoying it. It's a long part too, one which isn't split in to chapters. I'm guessing it's past events, detailing the life of (view spoiler)

message 8: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther (nyctale) | 4214 comments I am stil alive... Life got in the way and I have not cracked mybook open last week. I will get some reading done.. I am missing it,.

message 9: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18168 comments No worries Esther. Hope everything is ok with you. I've put it on hold for a bit as it was doing my head in. Hopefully when I return to it, I will start to enjoy it more. It's lost its rhythm for me at the section I'm on.

message 10: by Esther (last edited Mar 01, 2015 08:16PM) (new) - added it

Esther (nyctale) | 4214 comments Part 1. I have no idea what is going on really. I am rarely confused with the cast of characters of a book but this one did it. I think i got them sorted now. Still there's so much pieces missing for this story to make sense that it is disconcerting.

It seems that the next part is in New Crobuzon so, at least i will be in a somewhat more comfortable territory..

I have to find the map of Bag-Las i came across while we were reading the 2nd one...

-(view spoiler)

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18168 comments I'm wondering whether we posted a map in the last buddy read thread.

message 12: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18168 comments I've read a bit more but I still can't seem to get out of the section which is annoying me. If I hadn't liked the first two so much and Mieville generally and it wasn't the last book in the series for the yearly challenge, I might have put this to one side and come back to it (possibly) another time. I thought this book started so well. I know the section i'm on is showing us how Judah became who he is but because I don't like him much, I couldn't give two hoots!

message 13: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther (nyctale) | 4214 comments On hold then... I have not been reading much as I cannot get into it. I will try again in May. When the winter blues are gone.

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18168 comments I've read a bit more today but I'm still not feeling it. I was hoping to finish it this month so can kill a level in my yearly challenge but it's slow going and not inspiring me. I feel a bit let down actually as the last two were so good. I think when your head is full with real life, Mieville is probably not the person to read.

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Iron Council (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

China Miéville (other topics)