Serif Scanners discussion

The Boston Girl
This topic is about The Boston Girl
Pages 1-100

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle (thisisdanni) | 5 comments Mod
Hullo! I don't know how this works but I thought I would try to get it started. There aren't totally defined chapters in the book, but it is 322 pages so I thought maybe we would have discussions for 1-100, 101-200, and 201-322? If anyone has a better idea I'm all for it!!

xo
xo
d

I finished the first 100! It's hard to not keep going! Anyone else enjoying it? :)

Rachel Orr | 3 comments Mod
I'm loving it. I kept wondering if this was a true story, however I looked it up and I'm pretty sure it's not. This book has made me want to sit down and talk my grandparents about their life and what happened. Also, has made me think about what kind of stories I will have to share when I'm older. I still think that our grandparents generation is just SO different.. With women's rights, what was expected of them, the work force. While reading this book, I feel like I'm being told this great story.

So I'm reading the book on Kindle. It says what pages are what, but I wonder if it's different than the print book. I've been making my notes as I go to remember things I loved, so I'm gonna site the kindle page I was on.

I really enjoyed see how Addie started out. The going to Saturday Club, Rockport Lodge, meeting her friends and Filomena. One of my favorite parts was when she said that Filomena just knew who she was, which wasn't so easy back then. And how it's still not easy because she was almost 40 when she figures out what she wanted to be when she grew up. (Page 27) This just struck a chord with me. I've been wondering lately what I really want to be and what I want to be when I grow up, I like knowing that this is a timeless thing. We all wonder it, it seems regardless of age, generation. Although, i do hope I figure what exactly that is before I'm 40!

I really felt for her during the whole ordeal with Harold. She was so hard on herself and even said at one point, "I'm still embarrassed and mad at myself. But after seventy years, I also feel sorry for the girl I used to be. She was awfully hard on herself." (Page 88) I bet we can all relate to that. This is why I'm loving me this book, it's so relatable to us now even though this was supposedly in a completely different era. She was awfully hard on herself. She is a smart girl and Harold just turned out to be a grade A asshole.

Ok this is starting to get long. A couple other notes I highlighted, that I really liked:

- On page 38, Filomena is talking to Addie and says that Miss Green taught her that being an artist is more than a job, it's a way of looking at the world
- At the very beginning of the book, she says, "How did I get to become the woman I am today? It started in that library, in the reading club. That's where I started to be my own person." I just love she said it like that and made me excited to read her story. She seems like such a determined, feisty girl trying to figure out who she wants to be. It's fantastic!

I could probably comment on more like her family and stuff. That's a whole other topic. Haha. But I think I'll wait until more people start discussing.

Alright so I've read a bit further so inhale to go back and skim to write about the first 100 pages. I knew I left out something major. The whole "accident" with Celia and how it was obviously suicide. That was something that it seems people didn't discuss the same way as we do now. I kept having a hunch that something was up with her sister, but wasn't sure what. And Addie felt guilty when it reality, I don't think there's much she could have done unfortunately. I think that officer was right, she gave Celia a fighting chance.

message 6: by Danielle (last edited Feb 05, 2015 04:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's definitely fiction, but something so wonderful about it is that the author wrote it so well that it seems real.

I've tried sitting down with my grandparents over the years, my dad's parents never really wanted to talk about the past at all and they both passed in recent years. My mom's parents on the other hand, at least my grandpa, loooves to talk about it. Fun fact: they both grew up, met, and married in Jersey City Heights-- I currently live in Historic Downtown Jersey City, just another neighborhood. I think what's so amazing is that the whole idea of people wanting to give their children more than what they had growing up is so evident since we are looking a couple generations back.

So many of the things you pointed out are things I underlined/marked as well! I really did love what she said about Filomena and her own self confidence. I think what Filomena said about art is one of my favorite lines so far! I also agree that she was very hard on herself with the Harold situation, even so many years after the fact! I have a friend who always beats herself up when a guy is a jerk to her, I hope it doesn't take her that long to realize it's not her fault.

Miss Edith Chevalier kind of reminds me of that Ms. Lopez that HONY photographed recently, except for young (repressed) women instead of troubled youth. I LOVE the word GUMPTION, ever since the first time I heard it in The Holiday. I love how friendly, supportive, companionable, etc these young women are with each other. I feel like it's so hard to find that lately, everyone always seems to want to get ahead of one another and sometimes I feel like women and young women these days view another woman's success as their own failure, and at least so far I haven't seen anything like that in this book. Did they all feel like they were on the same side given women's rights at the time? The two events that really stood out to me were:
• When Addie did such a great job with the poem recital and even though she is younger than everyone else, didn't know anyone, was specially chosen for this role and did such an amazing job; all the girls congratulated her instead of feeling jealous and maybe being passive aggressive by putting her down to make themselves feel better.
• When Addie made a point of coaxing Irene out of her shell, and how Rose immediately went to Irene's side when she found out why she was so upset.

It's also so wild to me to read about how religion played such a huge role in their day-to-day lives. I don't even know the religious beliefs of most of my friends- this may be a combination of people not being as ardent about their beliefs and people's beliefs being so much more diverse versus pigeon-holed into the traditional/fundamental beliefs of a religion.

Poor Celia. I knew it was coming, but I was so, so sad it happened the way it did- so painful and long. She would have had a fighting chance at living a happy life if she were born in a later era. I wonder if Addie will talk about this again in more detail later in the book.

I would love to know why/how Betty knows so much about Herman Levine, and why they walk arm in arm together after Celia's death. Are they having an affair? I didn't like Herman at first, then I liked him because he really has done some great things for Addie and his presence seems to quell the outbursts of tension in the family, and Betty seems to be more a part of the family life because he's a buffer kind of.

Kiersten wrote: "So I just got my book today and I'm only on page 30, but just have to say that I'm loving it so far! I wanted to share this little description of hiking that I thought was so cute and accurate: "Hi..."

I marked this, too! Haha! I love it <3

I forgot to write yesterday but I'll post tomorrow about the next 100 pages :)