2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Howl’s Moving Castle (Howl’s Moving Castle, #1)
This topic is about Howl’s Moving Castle
. Week 7: Nonhuman Characters > Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (last edited Jan 30, 2015 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria | 39 comments Howl's Moving Castle
It is the one and only reread that I am doing during this challenge. I loved this book so much when I read it for the first time. I just hope that I won't be dissapointed when I re-read it.

message 2: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
It's in my to-read, I didn't know the Ghibli movie was from this book and as I like it a lot, I want to try the book :)

Maria | 39 comments From what I remember the book is very different from the anime.

Jessica | 225 comments It is *very* different from what I remember as well (I remember not liking Howl in the book, lol), but I also remember the mythology and background characters being interesting. This will be my 3rd reread for this challenge, but most of my rereads were from so long ago I can't recall most of the details haha.

Jessica | 225 comments I am about halfway atm, trying not to read too much as I need to make a costume for next friday (which is, ironically, Howl, or fem!Howl).

Jessica | 225 comments Well, I finished it a lot sooner than expected ^^;

Maria | 39 comments Jessica, what do you think about it?

Jessica (stitchywitch) | 24 comments I read this for my "Nonhuman character" week, and I really enjoyed it! I did think that Howl was a bit of a cypher, but I enjoyed his eccentricity. The book was charming, and now I will have to watch the Ghibli film!

Jessica | 225 comments Loved it a lot more than the first time. The first time I don't think I clued into Howl's family's dimension and I was expected something closer to the movie (which had more idealized characters).

message 10: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
I just finished it (not for the challenge) and enjoyed the story :)
The pacing was nice and the characters were colorful, so even if it's not outstanding, it was a really pleasant reading and I'll read the sequel.
As I don't remember a lot the movie, I'll try to watch it soon to compare it with the book.

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) I read this for the challenge as well! I agree with you, Zaz, it is a very fun, bubbly read. In the movie, though, the plot is changed rather drastically, and none of it really makes sense. That's why I liked the book better, because all of the loose ends get tied up. Also, the characters are richer, and funnier.

message 12: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments I haven't read this yet but it's on my list for 'A book with magic in it' so I'm very excited to read it. I haven't seen the movie either so I have both to look forward to!