Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > 2015 Second Quarter Long Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
The start of 2015's 2nd Quarter is just a couple of months away and it is time to nominate our choices for the 2015 Second Quarter Long Read.

Eligible books must be a minimum of 600 pages in length.

Long Read Nominations must meet the same requirements as books being nominated for our New School and Old School monthly reads. Nominations must be published prior to the year 2000.

Only the past Long Read Books listed below are NOT eligible:

War and Peace, 1st & 2nd Quarter 2014
Anna Karenina, 3rd Quarter 2014
Les Misérables, 4th Quarter 2014
The Count of Monte Cristo, 1sr Quarter 2015

Only one nomination per member

Feel free to second a nomination. Also feel free to discuss the worthiness of a nominated book. Is it a classic? Is it worth discussion? Please avoid Spoilers in these discussions.

Nominations are open from today till the 14th. Polls will be open from the 16th till February 28th.

message 2: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I nominate Gone with the Wind. I have never read it and would love to with this group =)

message 3: by Tytti (last edited Jan 30, 2015 08:00AM) (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments It would fit perfectly actually. In April it will be 150 years since the end of the US Civil War and the assassination of Lincoln.

(Did you know that at least a few years ago there were still two people receiving veteran pension because their fathers had fought in the war?)

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Oh, I second Gone with the Wind. I want to read that one so badly.

message 5: by Glenna (new)

Glenna | 69 comments I am all for Gone With The Wind. I read it about 15 years ago but wouldn't mind diving into it again.

message 6: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments I second Gone with the Wind and nominate The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing.

I found a copy of The Golden Notebook at a library book sale about a month ago. It looks like it has a very interesting structure: Four narratives alternating four times each, coming together to form a larger work.

Plus, this book fits nicely into many categories in the Classics Bingo challenge.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'd like to nominate Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West. I like the idea of a book set in the Balkans and the description sounds fascinating.

message 8: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I nominate Midnight's Children.
I've been wanting to read this forever. Plus it fits the "Classic of Asia" category in the 2015 Bingo. Or some other categories...

message 9: by Maarit (new)

Maarit | 285 comments I nominate The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. So far I've only read Crime and Punishment from him and would like to read more with a group.

message 10: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 101 comments I nominate Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family by Thomas Mann. It is 730 pages long, so very manageable as Long Reads go. Mann won the 1929 Nobel for Literature "principally for his great novel, Buddenbrooks, which has won steadily increased recognition as one of the classic works of contemporary literature".

message 12: by Janet (last edited Jan 31, 2015 11:31PM) (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I nominate The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales as something very different from our usual reading - (880 pages). Also, it would fit short story collection for those doing 2015 Bingo.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Wow Janet! Great nomination. I second.

message 14: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I would third the Grimm Fairy Tales. I haven't found anything yet for the short story square and those tales actually come from my region.

message 15: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I'll nominate Don Quixote

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments I would third the Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann.

message 18: by Melanti (last edited Feb 01, 2015 06:16AM) (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Janet wrote: "I nominate The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales as something very different from our usual reading - (880 pages). Also, it would fit short story collection for those doing 2015 Bingo."

Oh, this would be great! I've already read this, but Jack Zipes just released a new translation of the very first edition before they started toning down all the violence and this would give me a good excuse to buy it.

(I'm fourthing this nomination, by the way.)

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9437 comments Mod
Pink wrote: "I'll nominate Don Quixote"

Oh yes!

message 20: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I second Don Quixote

message 21: by Aleta (new)

Aleta | 106 comments I fourth Don Quixote!

I'm only missing Oriando Furioso to finish my background reading for this, so it'd probably fit right in with my schedule unless I start Don Q early :)

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (saiberiac) | 8 comments I'll second Gone With The Wind. I started the first chapter a while ago and haven't gone back to it since.

message 23: by Jaimee (new)

Jaimee | 45 comments I would like to nominate North and South by John Jakes

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Jaime! Another awesome one. That book was so fascinating!

message 25: by Jaimee (new)

Jaimee | 45 comments Is it? I was hoping so. I saw the mini-series a few years ago and it was great, but I never got around to reading the book.

message 26: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Jaime - It was a very good book. I read it years ago but I would definitely enjoy rereading it.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah It's different from the mini-series because it's less soap opera-like. It's really a very good novel and it's fascinating how it manages to personalize the Civil War so that you see it with new eyes.

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments I read North and South last year and really enjoyed it, and I loved the mini series too. I have the second and third books in the trilogy but I have not gotten around to reading them yet.

message 29: by Jaimee (new)

Jaimee | 45 comments That's awesome. I've been wanting to read it for years now and all of your recommendations are only reiterating that I should! I'm really looking forward to it now.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah The third book was disappointing because it took you away from George and Orry. And the Civil War. I have no idea why he wrote that book but the first two were brilliant.

message 31: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Wow. There are 4 books on this list that I want to read haha.

message 32: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Nominations are ending in a few days, last chance to enter an eligible book for three months.

1936, Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, 1037 pages
1962, The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing, 640 pages
1941, Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West, 1181 pages
1981, Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, 647 pages
1880, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 796 pages
1901, Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family by Thomas Mann, 731 pages
1812, The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm, 880 pages
1605, Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, 982 pages
1982, North and South by John Jakes, 812 pages

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Alissa wrote: "Wow. There are 4 books on this list that I want to read haha."

Me too! Plus another two that I've already read and loved. Great options to choose from!

message 34: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
My nomination is Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

Polls will be open form February 16-28,

Link: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.