Book Club - Paris discussion

Next Book > 2015 Book #2 - Games

Comments Showing 1-50 of 114 (114 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nabil (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments Book club decreed that our the theme of our next book will be Games.
Post your suggestions here.

Glory be unto the one and only Paris book club!

message 2: by René (new)

René (cigro) | 643 comments Mod
I'm going to propose Ernest Cline's Ready Player One because it's about video games and packs a wad of 80's nostalgia.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben | 69 comments I second René's choice. I've wanted to read

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben | 69 comments It for a while. (Posting hazard).

message 5: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments I would like to propose two books if you let me. One would be accountable only if you dont mind having seen the movie before reading the book:

Beautiful Mind - the book which was the origin of the movie about THE Game Theory Scientist John Nash.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

And if you dont agree with taking a book which has a film on it I propose a Russian (and funny) book The Turkish Gambit.
Its one of the books on a very loved Erast Fandorin who is like our Holmes/Bond in one.
In this story he is young, clever and is facing the war between Russia and the Ottoman Empire. Its something between a detective / an action / a love story / a historic novel :)

the Gambit if i understand is a chess strategy :) but it is more important than chess :)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

message 6: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments and Réne, this is the first google Paris Book club search result :(
http://www.meetup.com/anglophonebookc...

message 7: by René (new)

@Katerina pay no mind, those are fake book club assholes. I happen to know for a FACT that 74.2% of them can't even read. We are THE Paris Book Club, capitals on all letters.

message 8: by Vincent (new)

Vincent | 2 comments Hi Guys

I am Vincent and I would love to join your book club, if it is still doable.

Also, I am French and so not an English native speaker, just an English decent speaker, I hope that is ok...

If I can still join, I would like to pitch in with the following :
The Flanders Panel, by Spanish novelist Arturo Pérez-Reverte.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Here is a summary:

While restoring a 15th-century painting which depicts a chess game between the Duke of Flanders and his knight, Julia, a young art expert, discovers a hidden inscription in the corner: Quis Necavit Equitem. Translation: Who killed the knight? Breaking the silence of five centuries, Julia's hunt for a Renaissance murderer leads her into a modern-day game of sin, betrayal, and death.

I hope we'll get to meet soon!

Vincent

message 9: by René (new)

Welcome, Vincent! native English is not a requirement, no worries.

message 10: by Vincent (new)

Vincent | 2 comments Thanks René! Great, that's good to hear : )

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Okay, am going to recommend a book by one of my favourite authors (actually it's pretty much the only Don DeLillo I haven't read):

End Zone (1972).
It's Don's second novel. And how is it linked to games, you may well ask? Well, it's set in and around the world of American Football – but don't let that put you off, because according to Wiki it's a light-hearted farce that focuses on Gary, who spends time playing football, picnicking with a girl named Myna and contemplating nuclear warfare.

So if you're after a joyful book, this may or may not be it, and if you're the kind that needs to head to Wiki to check things out, then maybe don't....

Here are lots of lovely covers of End Zone from over the years:
http://perival.com/delillo/endzone_ed...

message 12: by René (new)

Those are amazing covers ! I especially love the one with the open handed savage.

message 13: by Nabil (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments Welcome Vincent, language is no issue as many of us are not native English speakers.
Justin, I'm so down for some nuclear warfare contemplation!

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments R: I've been trying to buy the huge logoed 1973 UK one for years...
N: yay, see it covers two of our voted for themes! There's possibly even a river in there somewhere too...

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilypa) | 6 comments I'd like to propose "Chess Story" by Stefan Zweig:

"Travelers by ship from New York to Buenos Aires find that on board with them is the world champion of chess, an arrogant and unfriendly man. They come together to try their skills against him and are soundly defeated. Then a mysterious passenger steps forward to advise them and their fortunes change. How he came to possess his extraordinary grasp of the game of chess and at what cost lie at the heart of Zweig's story."

Since it's a novella and I'm not sure how short you usually go for books, I'll propose another full-length book (this is basically just a way for me to suggest two books).

My other suggestion is "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. This might not be a super popular choice considering the author and the fact it's sci-fi again but I thought I might suggest it since I've always wanted to read one of his books.

"Ender's Game is a 1985 military science fiction novel by American author Orson Scott Card. Set in Earth's future, the novel presents an imperiled mankind after two conflicts with the "buggers", an insectoid alien species. In preparation for an anticipated third invasion, children, including the novel's protagonist, Ender Wiggin, are trained from a very young age through increasingly difficult games including some in zero gravity, where Ender's tactical genius is revealed."

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 53 comments I was going to suggest Ender's game, but Emily beat me to it, so yeah! Ready Player One is already on my tbr list, so yeah (my friend from another bookclub is friend's with the author; maybe we could get him to partake in our discussion?). And Vincent's choice looks really good too. So, I'm not going to throw another suggestion out there.

Though, to Justin I suggest Harry Potter for the quidditch. See how Harry just seems to fit all our themes, haahaha. ;-)

I google Paris book club too, and though it wasn't first on the list it has the title of Paris Bookclub and this is the address- http://bookclubdeparis.blogspot.fr Ours, of course, is better :-)

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Rachel, you know the rules, no children's books!

message 18: by Viviane (new)

Viviane | 172 comments Chess Story, also known as The Royal Game, is the Austrian master Stefan Zweig's final achievement, completed in Brazilian exile and sent off to his American publisher only days before his suicide in 1942. It is the only story in which Zweig looks at Nazism, and he does so with characteristic emphasis on the psychological.

Hello,

I'd like to nominate "Chess story" by Stefan Zweig :

"Travelers by ship from New York to Buenos Aires find that on board with them is the world champion of chess, an arrogant and unfriendly man. They come together to try their skills against him and are soundly defeated. Then a mysterious passenger steps forward to advise them and their fortunes change. How he came to possess his extraordinary grasp of the game of chess and at what cost lie at the heart of Zweig's story."

message 19: by Viviane (new)

Viviane | 172 comments sorry I hadn t seen that Emily had proposed chess story first ...I ll support her choice then :)

message 20: by Nabil (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments I'm proposing 'the girl who played go' it features a love story between a young go player and a Japanese army officer in 1930s China and there's barely any sorghum mention.

message 21: by René (new)

@Nabil Oh, I remember when that book came out, created quite a stir.

message 22: by Nabil (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments doodle will be up by Wednesday evening

message 23: by Ganit (new)

Ganit | 72 comments René wrote: "@Katerina pay no mind, those are fake book club assholes. I happen to know for a FACT that 74.2% of them can't even read. We are THE Paris Book Club, capitals on all letters."

Hey Rene, remember me? I used to join you in the goodread book club...
Sweet of you to refer so nicely to my book club (yes, yes... I happen to be the organiser)... just that you know, that not only most members can read but they can also talk... saying that, we run no tests for proving that, so you can come as well :)
Anyway, I do like your choice of books, usually, but unfortunately, I can't always make it... I might try though to do so soon

message 24: by René (new)

@Ganit Haha, this is awkward! Please do come back if you can make it! Good job organizing the "other" book club, it's a big success.

message 25: by Justin (new)

Justin Hood | 628 comments Ha ha ha! Thank god irony translates so well online - how come no geek has ever fixed that?!

message 26: by Ganit (new)

Ganit | 72 comments Justin wrote: "Ha ha ha! Thank god irony translates so well online - how come no geek has ever fixed that?!"
because they don't get it :)

message 27: by Ganit (new)

Ganit | 72 comments René wrote: "@Ganit Haha, this is awkward! Please do come back if you can make it! Good job organizing the "other" book club, it's a big success."
will try... I'm very motivated now :)

message 28: by Katerina (last edited Feb 03, 2015 04:09AM) (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Oh, I am sooo laughing :) non even LOL :)

Ganit, to extrapolate the effect of awkwardness (i found a funnier word) you should now come to our next meeting!

and i dont know which book i like the most ...

message 29: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments hi - just joined up, and to help myself get over the disappointment of having missed vonnegut and asimov, i thought i'd throw in a suggestion for this month. battle royale by koushun takami - pulpy pulpy japanese classic. apparently a new translation was released just last year...

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 53 comments Welcome Mimi.
Would you mind telling us about the book and/or how it fits into this month's theme, which is games? Thanks :-)

message 31: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 126 comments some of you may have seen the film, or come across it in reference to the hunger games (to be clear, takami published battle royale more than 10 years prior). taken from the goodreads description: "Koushun Takami's notorious high-octane thriller is based on an irresistible premise: a class of junior high school students is taken to a deserted island where, as part of a ruthless authoritarian program, they are provided arms and forced to kill one another until only one survivor is left standing. Criticized as violent exploitation when first published in Japan - where it then proceeded to become a runaway bestseller - Battle Royale is a Lord of the Flies for the 21st century, a potent allegory of what it means to be young and (barely) alive in a dog-eat-dog world. Made into a controversial hit movie of the same name, Battle Royale is already a contemporary Japanese pulp classic, now available for the first time in the English language."

message 32: by Nabil (last edited Feb 04, 2015 02:42PM) (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments Hello y'all doodle is at the following link:
http://doodle.com/65rtey7dsauyx5mz
Will close on Sunday evening since there are many options to choose from.

Edit: for newcomers, everyone gets to vote for two books.

message 33: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Hello,

I have a small suggestion for our next doodle ( i know that im not hosting anything but still) you think adding a link to the book in the doodle would be useful ?

message 35: by Nabil (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments For other links involving high seas book plunder, we will keep it on the DL :D (Arrr!)

message 36: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments Thanks Nabil:)

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 53 comments Don't think you need to keep it open till sun Nabil. Looks like we have a clear winner already, Ready Player One! There are only 4, maybe 5 people left to vote and unless none chooses RPO (which Rene will) and all choose the same other one with a vote already, boom it's done. Not saying you should close it today, but sunday is a stretch for nothing.

message 38: by Nabil (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments I was going to suggest closing the poll Friday evening.
We don't want people drunk voting :D

message 39: by Nabil (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments So, who here hasn't voted already?

message 40: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments ans thé winner is ? ))

message 41: by René (new)

I just voted, had trouble choosing between The Girl Who Played Go and End Zone, which looks fascinating, but we already read one DeLillo recently, so.

@Rachel you can't close the poll on Friday if you say you'll keep it open 'til Sunday. Everybody gets to vote, even if the winner seems clear-cut (self-expression > voting result).

message 42: by Nabil (last edited Feb 08, 2015 08:44AM) (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments Poll is now closed with Ready Player One as a clear winner.
Good reading to all of you.

P.S. Anyone who can't find the book just drop me a DM and I'll email you the epub.

message 43: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilypa) | 6 comments In case the book doesn't pack enough of the 80s for you ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFqQw...

message 44: by René (new)

@Emily Rod Stewart singing "physical" would probably have changed the course of History (oops, still in the Time Travel meme, sorry).

message 45: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilypa) | 6 comments @René: definitely not a Minimum Necessary Change

message 46: by Nabil (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments @Emily: A quarter is the minimum necessary change for a coin operated arcade machine.

message 47: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments We should not have chosen this book. Being a geek is difficult... Now I dont sleep, I still eat (unfortunately) but i just cant take this book from my head ...

message 48: by Nabil (last edited Feb 25, 2015 11:05AM) (new)

Nabil Lakhnachfi | 175 comments @Katerina being a nerd is more difficult.
obligatory xkcd http://xkcd.com/747/

message 49: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 496 comments I still dont know the difference. Although I consider myself a kind of geek, but not nerd ...

message 50: by Alan (last edited Feb 27, 2015 12:26AM) (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
Right kids, before I commit to reading this book, any chance of a date being set? Just to save me reading three chapters and then inevitably not being able to make the meeting :-)

« previous 1 3