The Quarterly Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss || 1st Quarter Read 2015 || Jan/Feb/Mar/Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} (last edited Jan 30, 2015 07:20PM) (new)

Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} | 1046 comments Mod
As one of the top choices according to the poll, the Quarterly Book Club is reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss for the Jan-Mar Quarter of 2015.

So, what did you think? Hates? Likes? Droolworthiness? Plot? Romance? The characters themselves?

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

message 2: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Jones (jehseejones) | 24 comments I am so gosh darn excited. :D I've heard great things about this book and I can't wait to get started!

message 3: by Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:23PM) (new)

Yay for being excited! I'm excited too, just from reading the premise ^^

message 4: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey *Emerges from the grave*

Oh yes! I guess I should put this on hold at my library, I LOVE big epic fantasy books. xD

It's quite big!

My copy hasn't arrived from the library yet--waiting impatiently!

message 6: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey Same here, I head it was super good though! (Even if the second apparently took a turn for the worst) SO EXCITED FOR THIS!

Yeah I heard that about the second too, but well, the first looks really good ^^

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma (agoodyearinthelife) | 23 comments I'm starting this book now. I can't wait, but I know it'll take me an eternity to get through!

Oh yay! Lucky ! I'm still waiting on my copy. The size looks daunting but yeah, I'm really excited to start it when I get it, it looks like it'll be an epic read!

message 10: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Jones (jehseejones) | 24 comments I am still pushing through this book! I'm finding myself in a reading funk! I sit down to read and I just can't seem to focus or get through very much. I'm hoping I'll be better next quarter lol

message 11: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Jones (jehseejones) | 24 comments I am still pushing through this book! I'm finding myself in a reading funk! I sit down to read and I just can't seem to focus or get through very much. I'm hoping I'll be better next quarter lol

Oh that sucks :/ but I totally get the feeling. I'm actully hoping that when I get this book tomorrow (finally, I've been so busy that I haven't had time to pick it up from the library) it'll take me out of my reading funk. How are you finding it so far?

How are people going with this book so far? I just hit one of my favourite moments--like the moment that really kinda catches my attention (I'm not sure why this one specifically but still ^^)....

message 14: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Jones (jehseejones) | 24 comments I didn't realize that you had responded! o.O I am still struggling through it! I am really in a funk. I'm enjoying the book for the most part though, I just haven't gotten to anything ridiculously exciting. I've got to figure out how to break this funk!

message 15: by Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} (last edited Mar 19, 2015 09:25PM) (new)

Lol it's okay ^^.

We must be having the same funk because I feel the same about it! I love a few bits of it but I keep thinking "with all this build up there must be a massive climax coming!"

But then I'm feeling this way with a lot of books lately :/ maybe it's just me haha

Samantha (A History of Books) (ahistoryofbooksblog) | 217 comments Mod
Jessi I think its the weather since its been all over the place. Travis and I both were in book funks. I hope I can get to this book soon. The library says I won't get it till the 27th, leaving just 3 days to read it :(

message 18: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Jones (jehseejones) | 24 comments There's a lot of build up and it feels like nothing is happening!

It has to be something with the weather. I just can't focus long enough to read. -_- I know that I won't have it finished in time, I just keep putting it off lol What a lame way to start my first book club. :/ I was thinking of maybe finding it as an audiobook and seeing if that will help!

Oh man. Samantha, if you need it, I can email it to you. I have it on my kindle! :)

Uh huh, tell me about it. I'm now about halfway through, the part that got me slightly interested was when he got into uni (I don't know if you're up to it yet! If not, I won't say anymore). That was slightly interesting but then it coasts again......

message 20: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Jones (jehseejones) | 24 comments I'm pretty close to him getting into uni. I thought it was going to be much more exciting. To be honest, I was disappointed at the beginning that it was a story being retold instead of living it first hand. -_-

True. I keep comparing it to Assassin's Apprentice which is written similarly, but you actually live in the story that the main character tells, and it (at the time I read it) really sucks you in. But yeah, after that little tiny bit of excitement the Name of the Wind goes back to building up....... :/

message 22: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey So the beginning was quite intriuging, but I feel like the pre-adulthood story descriptions are not entierly needed... Or at least in such length. It's not boring, but at times my resolve to press on is tested. It's just rather... Simple.

message 23: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey I actually liked him telling it as a story, it makes for a change from the usual fantasy! The transition between the two was amazing, I thought that bit was very well done.

:) I'm glad you're liking it, I am seriously hanging on here....and though I'll finish it soon, is the end worth it?

I just keep comparing this...so bad of me...but I do.........

SO I finally finished this. It bugs me the last page of the entire book is the only thing that Really got my attention.

Most of it though, I truly....wanted to end a whole lot more quicker *sigh*

message 26: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Jones (jehseejones) | 24 comments I've gotten used to the story telling idea and now I actually like it. I think I didn't like it at first because I'm so used to it living it with the character, and something new is refreshing.

I'm not surprised it would be the last page of the book that's exciting. :/ It really has potential, but I think when you're introduced to a character that is supposed to be an amazing legend and has lived this great life you expect to have more exciting things happen. It's a nice idea to have someone come from humble, less exciting beginnings, but it doesn't make for great story telling. o.O

message 27: by Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ} (last edited Mar 27, 2015 05:43PM) (new)

Hehe I didn't mind the story telling style, it was nice, and it's like a recurring kind of theme through out the book--lots of storytelling happening.

No it wouldn't, but then for me, I felt there were a lot of hit and misses (or maybe it really just me having had enough of fantasy for the moment?--maybe since I get excited about reading contemporary, so that probably makes me biased). Truly, I did like the beginning of the book, I thought it was good up until near the end--when the lady comes into the picture, I didn't like her but I didn't mind the events that happened around then.

Humble, less exciting beginnings are usually my favourite kinds of stories, but I don't know, this one just flew right passed me. Maybe it got stuck in my head that I already knew Kvothe was an amazing legend, and the reader knows this too because after all the Chronicler is there for writing his story, and that makes me less sympathetic to his character? It's like he is trying to be modest about all these things in his past, but to me...he seemed to get lucky once too often......

Although the last page definitely gave me a better insight into the Kote/Kvothe's character better than the rest of the story--I forget the exact words--but it really bugs me how just one line makes me want to read the next one just to see why he would have that kind of feeling! (though right now....that 660 pages was kind of a little torturous for me, and I read Anna Karenina {which in my eyes was long enough and Tolstoy} which I did like to some degree and wasn't entirely torturous to read)

Oh crap...I kinda ranted. Even though I wrote down my thoughts last night, I still have a lot to say about it....since it is an interesting book--just not like action-interesting or character-ish-interesting (sorta, I mean, I don't find Kvothe likeable or even in need of sympathy from me as a reader yet), but in a story/world building/potential/literary-ish way.

I would love to know more about why others like it. Since clearly, I don't have much love for it.....even though I had been really excited, and it sounded awesome, but it came out differently.....

message 28: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Jones (jehseejones) | 24 comments Your rant sums it up perfectly! I think I was so excited to read this book that when it wasn't exactly what I was looking for or expecting, it kind of turned me off.

I think that's my biggest problem: my expectations.

Ugh yeah, expectations! I had quite a bit based on the premise on goodreads, and also since it's called 'kingkiller' I figured there'd be more lol.

message 30: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Jones (jehseejones) | 24 comments That's what I did. lol I saw the rating on goodreads and then read some of the reviews without spoilers and it seemed like there'd be a lot more excitement. o.O

I started reading reviews towards the end of The Name of the Wind, at around...100 pages to go? Since I didn't want to read them before I started, with or without spoilers since I'd feel biased. But just the premise and the rating definitely had my expectations right up there, and I was stuck in the zone of...'too many expectations'. It's not a bad book, definitely has its merits, but I just felt like it felt lacklustre after I spent at least a month waiting for it to become available at the library :/ lol.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.