Classics Without All the Class discussion

Middlemarch
This topic is about Middlemarch
January 2015- Middlemarch > Favorite quotes

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E.M. (last edited Jan 29, 2015 11:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.M. Amabebe | 25 comments Middlemarch is a book that is full of wonderful quotes, but at the same time it's so long that it's easy to miss things. I thought it would be nice to have a thread where everyone can share the quotes they particularly liked -- hopefully we'll all discover things we might have otherwise skimmed over.

So... what touched you? What did you find wise or insightful or beautifully written? What did you disagree with?

(If anyone wants to share, maybe put the chapter first so we can avoid spoilers!)

E.M. Amabebe | 25 comments I think this is probably the most famous quote from Middlemarch, but it's so beautiful and true I thought it would be a good one to start things off:

From Chapter 20 (Dorothea in Rome)

"Nor can I suppose that when Mrs. Casaubon is discovered in a fit of weeping six weeks after her wedding, the situation will be regarded as tragic. Some discouragement, some faintness of heart at the new real future which replaces the imaginary, is not unusual, and we do not expect people to be deeply moved by what is not unusual. That element of tragedy which lies in the very fact of frequency, has not yet wrought itself into the coarse emotion of mankind; and perhaps our frames could hardly bear much of it. If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence."

Thomas Aylesworth (thomasaylesworth) | 19 comments My Kindle has way too many highlighted favorite passages to post them all. But here are a couple of favorites.

From chapter IX:

"the mistakes that we male and female mortals make when we have our own way might fairly raise some wonder that we are so fond of it."

Thomas Aylesworth (thomasaylesworth) | 19 comments Chapter XXIII:

"when a youthful nobleman steals jewellery we call the act kleptomania, speak of it with a philosophical smile, and never think of his being sent to the house of correction as if he were a ragged boy who had stolen turnips."

Thomas Aylesworth (thomasaylesworth) | 19 comments Chapter XLII:

"There was no denying that Dorothea was as virtuous and lovely a young lady as he could have obtained for a wife; but a young lady turned out to be something more troublesome than he had conceived."

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Love the last one! (“There was no denying . . .”) How true that remains today. There seems to be a widespread expectation that one’s partner is going to be a static thing, fulfilling needs when wanted and folding him/herself up to be stashed in a closet when not. Living with another fully fledged ego in the house is ever so much more troublesome.

Thomas Aylesworth (thomasaylesworth) | 19 comments Indeed.

E.M. Amabebe | 25 comments Thomas wrote: "the mistakes that we male and female mortals make when we have our own way might fairly raise some wonder that we are so fond of it..."

LOL! I love her dry humor.

This one also made me laugh:

(From Ch. 29)

"...Whether Providence had taken equal care of Miss Brooke in presenting her with Mr. Casaubon was an idea which could hardly occur to him. Society never made the preposterous demand that a man should think as much about his own qualifications for making a charming girl happy as he thinks of hers for making himself happy. As if a man could choose not only his wife but his wife's husband!"

Alana (alanasbooks) | 208 comments I love that one, Eremi! It's funny, but in a tragic kind of way, because isn't that the way so many people think?

message 10: by E.M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.M. Amabebe | 25 comments Yes, sad but true. I love that she can find the humor in it!