Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Noms & Newsletters > March 2015 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 136 (136 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Chava (last edited Jan 29, 2015 08:58PM) (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Hi all,

This is the thread for nominating and later on voting for our March book of the month.

The rules:
1) Only 1 books per person to be nominated. Please use a hyperlink so people can read about your book suggestion

2) AUTHORS NOTE: We do NOT accept self nominations. Your books can be listed in the authors' corner. If I find a self-nomination, I will delete it without warning.

3) Nominating until the 14th of February. Voting will then take place until Monday the 23rd of February to give everyone some time to find the book they want to discuss.

4) Previously read books aren't allowed (have a look on our bookshelf to find out what we've already read)

5) If a book gets nominated twice, first come first serve, BUT if the book was nominated in a previous month, that nominator has right of way

6) If your nominated book gets chosen, you agree to moderate the thread for your nominated book

7) Any questions, PM me or post a comment in this thread.

message 2: by Brendan (last edited Jan 30, 2015 09:25AM) (new)

Brendan I nominate The Murder on the Links - The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2) by Agatha Christie by Agatha Christie.

message 3: by Ron (last edited Jan 29, 2015 10:15PM) (new)

message 4: by Farhana (new)

Farhana Sufi (f_sufi) | 102 comments I'll nominate something I had previously nominated but didn't win - And Then There Were None And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie by Agatha Christie.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) I'm mortified! This group has never read anything by Donald E. Westlake? This must be rectified. I nominate The Hot Rock

The Hot Rock (Dortmunder, #1) by Donald E. Westlake

message 7: by Donald (new)

Donald Scott (writeondon) | 87 comments Farhana wrote: "I'll nominate something I had previously nominated but didn't win - And Then There Were None And Then There Were None by Agatha Christieby Agatha Christie."

Great book, but PLEASE not that one; for us Kindle readers, it (like many of Christie's novels for Kindle) has been HEAVILY edited ... they changed EVERY word "Indian" to "Soldier" - yes, even in the classic poem, and the island is now even called Soldier Island! Appalling!!

message 8: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Donald wrote: "Farhana wrote: "I'll nominate something I had previously nominated but didn't win - And Then There Were None And Then There Were None by Agatha Christieby Agatha Christie."

Great book..."

Really??? why?

message 9: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Deadly Memories by S.D. O'Donnell Deadly Memories is my nomination

message 10: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 379 comments The Cinderella Murder by Mary Higgins Clark

message 11: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly Chava wrote: "Donald wrote: "Farhana wrote: "I'll nominate something I had previously nominated but didn't win - And Then There Were None And Then There Were None by Agatha Christieby Agatha Christi..."

Because of the racism...
I just finished this book - the latest version (paperback though), where everything happened also in Soldier Island.
--------------

I'll nominate Studio sex by Liza Marklund
Studio sex (Annika Bengtzon, #1) by Liza Marklund

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Chava wrote: "
Really??? why? "

Ebooks are easy to edit and often are, changing the author's work without the reader knowing upfront. Unfortunately Agatha Christie is the newest victim

Love And Then There were none. If picked will participate in the discussion but not re-read, have read several times.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen94066) | 262 comments The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras by J. Michael Orenduff by J. Michael Orenduff

message 14: by Chava (last edited Feb 10, 2015 05:15AM) (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Karen wrote: "The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras by J. Michael Orenduff by J. Michael Orenduff"

Hi Karen,
This book was read by our group in October 2013, sorry. Any other book you would want to nominate instead?

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen94066) | 262 comments Curious...it is not listed on the bookshelf under past-group-reads.

message 16: by Chava (last edited Feb 10, 2015 04:35PM) (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Im sorry :(. We try our best to keep it fully updated, but occasionally some slip through the net :). This one is listed as read though. Here's the link, for some reason I haven't been able to find the discussion https://www.goodreads.com/group/show_...

I've found this peculiar too btw...

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen94066) | 262 comments Okay, I will check the main listing instead of relying on the bookshelf...thank you.

I started with groups in Feb 2014 so I just missed the discussion of this. If you find the link I would love to know what they thought.

message 18: by Jole (new)

message 19: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Karen wrote: "Okay, I will check the main listing instead of relying on the bookshelf...thank you.

I started with groups in Feb 2014 so I just missed the discussion of this. If you find the link I would love..."

I'm sorry, I try to keep it as much up to scratch as possible, but with the amount of books that have been nominated and read already, it's close to impossible. I check every book that's nominated, hence I saw yours was already read. I am truly sorry about this as I remember someone telling me it's a great book

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen94066) | 262 comments Yes, I loved it a lot. Trade paperback so it may be hard to find. Our library system never purchased it, so I bought them all online.

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Garner | 7 comments I would like to nominate First Night of Summer First Night of Summer by Landon Parham

message 22: by Martha (new)

message 23: by Kathy (last edited Feb 12, 2015 07:47PM) (new)

Kathy Golden I nominate TRESPASS (TJ Peacock & Lisa Rayburn Mysteries Book 2).

I think the author did a good job of unraveling the mystery. I especially like the way she incorporated one of the secondary characters.

message 24: by Freda (new)

Freda Malone | 33 comments Please keep these things in mind my friends. Check to make sure your nomination is available in most editions. Kindle, paperback, and hardcover. Also, please please try to choose books that have been out for at least a year. Some of us rely on libraries and have to put our book on hold. I've waited up to 6 weeks to read a new release. Thank you so much!

message 25: by Freda (new)

Freda Malone | 33 comments I nominate

Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) by Stuart Woods Orchid Beach

by Stuart Woods

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden Freda wrote: "Please keep these things in mind my friends. Check to make sure your nomination is available in most editions. Kindle, paperback, and hardcover. Also, please please try to choose books that have be..."

Does the book have to be available in both paperback and hardcover? Thanks.

message 27: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Kathy wrote: "Freda wrote: "Please keep these things in mind my friends. Check to make sure your nomination is available in most editions. Kindle, paperback, and hardcover. Also, please please try to choose book..."

It would be ideal. In the last few months we've relaxed this a bit, but I agree with Freda's sentiments

message 29: by Laima (new)

Laima | 416 comments This book is very popular in Canada right now. On the best seller list.

message 30: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Hayes | 24 comments One Step Behind, part of the Kurt Wallander series, written by Henning Mankell.

message 31: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 3 comments Both Robert and Laima's nominations are not the first in the series. Do we have a rule on series?

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine Wahl (maddashin) | 135 comments Mike wrote: "I'm mortified! This group has never read anything by Donald E. Westlake? This must be rectified. I nominate The Hot Rock

The Hot Rock (Dortmunder, #1) by Donald E. Westlake"

Never heard of him. Does he write mystery? Not interested in S. King type books or thrillers unless they involve murder or serial killers. LOL

message 33: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 3 comments Donald Westlake is a noir crime author. Many of his involve burglaries.

message 34: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Hayes | 24 comments Hey, since Westlake, an "American" author, who wrote over a hundred books, many mysteries, we should give it a try.

message 35: by Brian (new)

Brian Benson (bknight47) | 37 comments I'll go with The Hot Rock too, by Westlake...

message 36: by Chris (last edited Feb 13, 2015 02:46PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 25 comments I'd like to nominate The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1) by Camilla Läckberg by Camilla Läckberg. It's the first in the Patrik Hedstrom (Fjallbacka) murder mysteries.

message 37: by Robert (last edited Feb 13, 2015 03:29PM) (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) I deleted my previous post/nomination because it wasn't the first in a series. IDK if there is a rule against that or not, but I'll nominate something else anyway.
I will nominate Detective Detective by Arthur Hailey by Arthur Hailey

message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) Christine wrote: "Mike wrote: "I'm mortified! This group has never read anything by Donald E. Westlake? This must be rectified. I nominate The Hot Rock

[bookcover:The Hot Rock|994784..."

This is something of a bungled burglary.

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) Brian wrote: "I'll go with The Hot Rock too, by Westlake..."

That's the spirit! March will be "Try Something New Month."

message 40: by Laima (new)

Laima | 416 comments Kirsten wrote: "Both Robert and Laima's nominations are not the first in the series. Do we have a rule on series?"

Sorry, i didn't know about rules on series.
I'll go with post #10 Mary's nomination of The Cinderella Murder. The Cinderella Murder (Under Suspicion #1) by Mary Higgins Clark

message 41: by Christine (new)

Christine Wahl (maddashin) | 135 comments I just wandered over to the book shelf. It has not been updated since September 2014. Is that correct?

Would be easier for everyone to see what was nominated and what has been read.

I have been known to be wrong so if I am, please let me know.

message 42: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Hi all,
Some answers to questions posted:
We don't have a rule on series
The book list has been updated, I am working my way through it as we go along. I wasn't the moderator from the start of this group's inception. It means that occasionally books won't be listed on the read shelf when they have actually. There are 100s of books on our shelves, be patient with me please :)

message 43: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Hayes | 24 comments On another month, I'll suggest Henning Mankell's One Step Behind again, he's a master writer, I've never read Westlake. But I'm willing to try The Hot Rock.

message 44: by Michael (new)

Michael Richards (michaelc1) Dorothy wrote: "On another month, I'll suggest Henning Mankell's One Step Behind again, he's a master writer, I've never read Westlake. But I'm willing to try The Hot Rock."

You won't be sorry, Dorothy. (Well, you might be sorry, but you won't be disappointed. Of course, you might be disappointed, but it's a short enough book that the pain will be over very quickly. On the other hand, you might be delighted, but let's not get overly enthusiastic until we've actually read the book, which I have (more than once) and I rather liked it. But after all, who am I to say what you will like or dislike. It's still a free country, last time I checked. Anyway, we'll see how the vote goes and if The Hot Rock doesn't get picked, you tell everyone, Dorothy, that one of my beloved tropical fish will get flushed down the you-know-what. Not that that should influence the voting, but everyone ought to know what's at stake.)

(By the way, the fish's name is . . . NEMO!!) )

message 45: by Christine (last edited Feb 14, 2015 09:15AM) (new)

Christine Wahl (maddashin) | 135 comments I just ate at a seafood restaurant. Scribbled on the wall intentionally was frying nemo

message 46: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 41 comments Has the group read any Leighton Gage? I would suggest the first one, BLOOD OF THE WICKED, but I would also say that I have read all of the Kurt Wallander books and they are great. The best one, in my opinion is THE WHITE LIONESS or The man who smiled.

message 47: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Hayes | 24 comments Hey, Mad, I've read all of them, for Mankell blows my mind no matter how many times I read his stories. I liked The Man who Smiled and the White Lioness. But each book has an issue and that is also the basis to my mysteries. My favorite, for the way the plot unfolds is One Step Behind. How much do I like it, I'm patterning my own mysteries in the same fashion. In this case the crime happens first and then you wait for when Kurt Wallander is informed about it, but not before reading all about the developments of his personal life. I love it you can't wait for Kurt to find out. My books now take the same course.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) | 1935 comments can someone point me towards the bookshelf please....I've just had a quick look around, but can't seem to locate it. Thank you! 8:D

message 49: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 379 comments Sandra that's a good question, I've always gone to Group Reads and looked at all the books there. I never even knew we had a bookshelf of what we read.

message 50: by Christine (new)

Christine Wahl (maddashin) | 135 comments When you go to the group top right. I think other things are discussions, bookshlf etc. top right corner.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.