Splintered Fan Club discussion

YE BE WARNED > SPOILERY Wonderland/Real-world connections and history.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by La La (last edited Jan 29, 2015 08:53PM) (new)

La La I think A.G. was a GENIUS at connecting Wonderland to the real-world in extremely twisty-malisty ways. I will be re-reading some of those parts of the story this weekend for some in-depth ducussion on this board. Please feel free to start without me! I will be back.:D

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Linda "La La" wrote: "I think A.G. was a GENIUS at connecting Wonderland to the real world in extremely twisty-malisty ways. I will be re-reading some of those parts of the story this weekend for some in-depth ducussion..."

Agreed!

I Re-Read The Ending Today xD

message 3: by La La (new)

La La Ginny❤️ If We Burn, You Burn with Us!❤️ wrote: "Linda "La La" wrote: "I think A.G. was a GENIUS at connecting Wonderland to the real world in extremely twisty-malisty ways. I will be re-reading some of those parts of the story this weekend for s..."

I am going to be doing that this weekend, for sure!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Linda "La La" wrote: "Ginny❤️ If We Burn, You Burn with Us!❤️ wrote: "Linda "La La" wrote: "I think A.G. was a GENIUS at connecting Wonderland to the real world in extremely twisty-malisty ways. I will be re-reading so..."

Awesome!

message 5: by Haley (new)

Haley | 156 comments i have SO MANY FEELINGS about how ag used carrollian lore, omg.

i really appreciated all the subtle nods to the source material (like charles dodgson's descendants being knights [it's widely speculated that the white knight was a self-insert character], ivory remembering things from the future, lesser-known characters like bill and the duchess, the FEAST omg, etc.) even more than i did the more obvious ones (lorina, pleasance, etc). it really felt like this was at least partially a labor of love for the actual books themselves, and it tickled my inner wonderland nerd.

but also like. RED WAS MATH BUDDIES WITH CHARLES DODGSON?? WHAT. that's so. i'm so happy about that. not just because it means my bby was secretly pulling all the strings but omg you guys, charles was the squarest of squares and there's all kinds of snarky commentary about abstract math woven into alice in wonderland and just. ag's charles was math buddies WITH A MAGICAL FAIRY. A MAGICAL FAIRY FROM A LAND WITH NON-EUCLIDEAN GEOMETRY. i literally squealed aloud when i got to that part. it's so beautiful.

(this is slightly unrelated, but: i have a headcanon that red also disguised herself as miss prickett, the liddell sisters' governess; it just makes altogether too much sense—that's how she trapped alice without anyone noticing the winged fairy wandering around in the park, that's how she was able to imitate alice's mannerisms so well that nobody ever noted a change in her behavior after red started masquerading as her instead, it would fit in neatly with the theory that the original red queen was inspired by miss prickett herself... yeah.)

and finally: it took until ensnared, but i really appreciate that ag distinguished between the queen of hearts and the red queen. they're such polar opposites in alice in wonderland/through the looking glass, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine when people merge them into one character or assume they're the same. so i was excited to see her established as a distinct character in ag's world as well.

message 6: by La La (new)

La La Hello! Here is the link to A G.'s personal thoughts on the writing of Ensnared. The blog post is spoiler free, but there is a PDF file link to follow.
http://authoraghoward.blogspot.com/20...