Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Mystic River
This topic is about Mystic River
Archive - Group Reads > Mystic River - February 2015

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments This is the thread for your discussion about Mystic River. Your moderator will be Helen. Thank you Helen.

message 2: by Helen (last edited Jan 30, 2015 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Helen (helenliang) Welcome to all of you who will be reading this novel in February and thank-you for voting for it! As the person who suggested the book, I get to lead the group. Please forgive me if I don't do this perfectly as I am totally new to this type of thing.

The Goodreads site gives Mystic River an excellent average rating (4.18) and calls it a "tense and unnerving psychological thriller". It has won numerous awards: Barry Award for Best Novel(2002), Macavity Award Nominee for Best Mystery Novel(2002), Anthony Award for Best Novel(2002), Hammett Prize Nominee (2001), Dilys Award (2002), Massachusetts Book Award for Fiction (2002), and the Prix des libraires du Québec for Lauréats hors Québec (2003).

I have not read any of Dennis Lehane's novels. I notice that he has been very prolific and gets amazingly good reviews. If I like Mystic River, then I am looking forward to having lots more reading material to choose from.

One Goodread member asked if it has been made into a film. The movie, Mystic River (directed by Clint Eastwood and released in 2003), is based on this novel. I noticed that Roger Ebert gave the movie a 4/4 rating. I have not seen it; I like to read the book before I see the movie.

I am looking forward to sharing our thoughts on this book throughout the month of February.

All the best,

Helen

message 3: by Paulette (new) - added it

Paulette Unfortunately, I have seen the movie first, or most of it. Anyway I know how the movie ends. I still went and bought the book. I hope seeing the moving first does not ruin the book for me.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Wahl (maddashin) | 135 comments Yes, I too have seen the movie and I know how the movie ends. So, I will not read the book.

The movie was great with Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon playing the detective. Anything that Clint Eastwood puts out is just great any way. Just came over to make sure it was the book that was turned into a movie.

Helen (helenliang) Read the first 1 1/2 chapters last night and am already wrapped up in the fate of little Dave. As a mother, I found this section very difficult to read. Is he "damaged goods" or will he overcome? I am looking forward to finding out how these three 11-year-olds will fare as men.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine Wahl (maddashin) | 135 comments Anyone remember who played little Dave in the movie?

message 7: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy J I don't remember ever seeing the movie, and like you, Helen... I prefer to read the book first, so I have it loaded on my Kindle. I'm looking forward to reading with the group and seeing posts here, but I only hope I can keep up! I'm reading another book on another group and shouldn't really set myself up for failure when I don't have a lot of reading time. Yikes!

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine Wahl (maddashin) | 135 comments I often download from overdrive or audible. That way I plug my phone in and read while driving, doing activities cooking dinner. Or going to sleep. Works well

message 9: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Marshall (goodreadscomkellymarshall) just ordered the book. will hope to catch with everyone

message 10: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Christine wrote: "I often download from overdrive or audible. That way I plug my phone in and read while driving, doing activities cooking dinner. Or going to sleep. Works well"

I love audio books too. I do about 700km (435 miles) a week in the car, so audio books are a great way to "read" more books and not get bored :). In many areas I have no radio reception here either, so audio books are the way to go

Helen (helenliang) Chava wrote: "Christine wrote: "I often download from overdrive or audible. That way I plug my phone in and read while driving, doing activities cooking dinner. Or going to sleep. Works well"

I love audio boo..."

I agree with both of you! Audio books are wonderful. When we vacationed with the teenagers, we'd play any of Stuart McLean's audio books Stories from the Vinyl Cafe to make the time pass quickly. Four hours of being stuck in a tight vehicle together would fly by.

message 12: by Helen (last edited Feb 09, 2015 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Helen (helenliang) Has anyone developed any theories yet?

I find that Dennis Lehane has an unusual way of letting the reader into the mind of some characters, but not others. Or he will sometimes just give the reader a short glimpse - such as Dave's fears about what he becomes when he is the "Boy Who'd Escaped From Wolves and Grown Up"(near the end of chapter 16).

Mary Beth  | 378 comments I just finished it and was very surprised when I found out who did it. The ending was a big surprise. I thought the book was a little depressing. But I really did like it.

Helen (helenliang) I also finished and, like Mary, I found the book dark and depressing. I ended up giving it only a 3 star rating. I could not connect with any of the characters except Dave - and even then, I just hoped for good things for him without any deep concern. I found all the characters were predictable and boring. Early on, I had high expectations for what they could become.

I hope others will not be put off reading Mystic River because of my comments. The book was well written with a strong plot.

Mary Beth  | 378 comments I thought the same way, while I was reading it I was Telling myself, I don't really care for one character in the book. I thought it was good in the beginning, then it just kind of fell apart. I liked it and kept on deciding should I give it 3.5 stars or 4. I ended up giving it 4 stars only because it was well written and it did keep my interest. I actually now think I should of went with my first instinct. I believe the characters really do make the book.