Sisters Of Romance discussion

LOOKIN' FOR: The Regular Black Guy

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.T. (new)

A.T. Hicks (saltygurl) | 3 comments Seems as though we have a problem in black romance.

Too many hood fellas who treat women like whores, too many strong, difficult women, too many lawyers and doctors and too damn many millionaires and billionaires.

Whatever happened to the regular guy? You know, the manager of the grocery store, the postal worker or for that matter, the nurse? I just want a working stiff that will still rub my feet at the end of a long day. As a woman who is married to a man with calloused hands and a penchant for Madden, that's sorta what I prefer. Nothing wrong with the white collar sorts, they just ain't my cuppa tea.

Also, where are the LAUGHS? I am hard-pressed to find humorous, black romance novels.

If you can recommend books that fit the above criteria, let me know, 'cause I'm looking for a few good men.

message 2: by Cyndi (last edited Jan 30, 2015 09:59PM) (new)

Cyndi Hackett | 1 comments I agree with you. I pretty much don't read too many black Mother (The Mistress Trilogy Book 3) by Nia Forrester books because I just can't stand the typical slang talk and drug deallers. Don't get me wrong, I know they're some good black authors out there but I find it hard to find them. But one author I just love and I will buy every book she writes regardless of the price, out of her collection, she has one series that I just love. Don't let the title mislead you, the story is really good and the alpha male and just your regular guy trying to make something of himself without all the slang talk. It's a must read. Let me know if you like it. Try [bookcover:Mistress: A Novella Wife by Nia Forrester also Secret by Nia Forrester

message 3: by A.T. (new)

A.T. Hicks (saltygurl) | 3 comments Cyndi wrote: "I agree with you. I pretty much don't read too many black Mother (The Mistress Trilogy Book 3) by Nia Forresterbooks because I just can't stand the typical slang talk and drug deallers. Don't get me wrong, I know they're s..."

Thanks Cyndi!

I'm looking her up right now...

message 4: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) I have to co-sign that Nia Forrester is an excellent storyteller. She's one of my favorites!

Another AA author you might want to check out is Keith Thomas Walker. I've only read one of his books, but his heroes are men who have 'regular' jobs. He's worth checking out. Keith Thomas Walker.

message 5: by Quanie (new)

Quanie (quaniemiller) | 2 comments Hi A.T.,

Not to toot my own horn, but I have a romantic comedy out that's been getting good reviews It Ain't Easy Being Jazzy by Quanie Miller . Most readers do find it humorous. Good luck with your search:)

@Cyndi and Delaney: I don't think I've heard of Nia Forrester but it sounds like I need to put her on my TBR list.

message 6: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Totally fine to toot your own horn, Quanie. I remember our reviewer at Romance Novels in Color rated your book Top Rated because she enjoyed it so much.

And yes, give Nia a shot. She's a really good author who does a great job of drawing you into the story.

message 7: by Quanie (new)

Quanie (quaniemiller) | 2 comments Thanks, Delaney!:) And I will definitely check out Nia.

message 8: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Foster (carolinebellfoster) | 3 comments I've always had a different take on the black themed romances. Sorry to jump into the conversation, but I've been writing for years, but am really very new to the A/A charts.

I've been reading a lot and now have firm favourites, Delaney being one of them. There are some fabulous writers out there, but like all genres things can get a bit stuck and I agree, the spectrum has gone way over to the other side. Gangsters to billionaires. Where's the regular guy?

I'm a Black British author with 5 novels under my belt, the first lot mainly set in the Caribbean, the last two set in the UK. I've got a Rasta woman as the heroine in one novel and another battling a blood disease. Regular but different.

Again apologies for jumping in, I'm feeling my way around GR and literally saw this conversation :)

message 9: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Thank you for that compliment, Caroline!

message 10: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Foster (carolinebellfoster) | 3 comments My pleasure Delaney. I almost missed my deadline, because I read three of your novels back to back! Lol and I still can't decide who is my latest book boyfriend. It really is a toss up between Jay, Tomas and of course the very intense Ryan!!

message 11: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Woods (suavenovelist) | 2 comments I share your sentiment! That's why I wrote my romance novel series, Fitness 4Play: One Night Stand. It is loosely based on my personal life. Also, humor is my M.O. My book is naturally funny because I injected my personality (and looks) into the main character. So I hope you all decide to check it out. It is worth your read! :-)

P.S. I'm working on part 2 (Fitness 4Play: Business Mix With Pleasure). To signup to my novel newsletter, go to my blog, www.blacklovenovels.com/signup