Read 100+ Books in 2015 discussion

February challenge

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 74 comments Mod
Wow, one month done already. Where does the time go? I hope everyone is staying warm and are not getting too much snow. I'll be on vacation a lot of this month but I'll check in as much as I can to see who's reading what and how they like their reads.

So for February:

1. Read a book with a Z in the title.
2. Read a book whose author's name starts with a Z.
3. Read a graphic novel.
4. Read a western.
5. Read a book written by an author from another country.
6. Read a book with an animal in the title.
7. Read a love story for Valentine's Day.
8. Read a book that won a prize.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments My February books,
So for February:

3. Read a graphic novel.
"Mr. Mercedes" by Stephen King
4. Read a western.
9. Your choice.

message 3: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Now reading "Mr. Mercedes" by Stephen King, Book #1 of the "Mr. Mercedes Trilogy."

"In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the "perk"� and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy.

Brady Hartsfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands."

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 21 comments So I finished "The Myth of the Submissive Christian Woman". It was an interesting book on not letting others walk all over you and what follow Christ entails. Good read. Next up my book by an author from another country I chose "Anne of Green Gables" by Canadian Lucy Maud Montgomery. It should be fun.

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 21 comments I also just finished reading "The Adventure Twins in a Mayan Mystery". That was a cute little fantasy book for a beginning reader. It was a good book with family adventure in it. Still also reading "Anne of Green Gables". I can see why one of my sisters (not Sheila) thought I would like it and see my daughter in the story.

message 6: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments My February books,
So for February:

3. Read a graphic novel.
4. Read a western.
9. Your choice.
"After the Plague" by T.C. Boyle

message 7: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Listening to the audio book version of T.C. Boyle's "After the Plague.

"Few authors in America write with such sheer love of story, language, and imagination as T.C. Boyle, and nowhere is that passion more evident than in his inventive, wickedly funny, and widely praised short stories. In AFTER THE PLAGUE, Boyle speaks of contemporary social issues in a range of emotional keys. The sixteen stories gathered here address everything from air rage to abortion doctors to first love and its consequences. The collection ends with the brilliant title story, a whimsical and imaginative vision of a disease-ravaged Earth. Presented with characteristic wit and intelligence, these stories will delight readers in search of the latest news of the chaotic, disturbing, and achingly beautiful world in which we live."

message 8: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments More of my February books,

3. Read a graphic novel.
4. Read a western.
"orphan train" by Christina Baker Kline.
9. Your choice.

message 9: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Now reading "orphan train" by Christina Baker Kline.

"Nearly eighteen, Molly Ayer knows she has one last chance. Just months from "aging out" of the child welfare system, and close to being kicked out of her foster home, a community service position helping an elderly woman clean out her home is the only thing keeping her out of juvie and worse.

Vivian Daly has lived a quiet life on the coast of Maine. But in her attic, hidden in trunks, are vestiges of a turbulent past. As she helps Vivian sort through her possessions and memories, Molly discovers that she and Vivian aren't as different as they seem to be. A young Irish immigrant orphaned in New York City, Vivian was put on a train to the Midwest with hundreds of other children whose destinies would be determined by luck and chance.

The closer Molly grows to Vivian, the more she discovers parallels to her own life. A Penobscot Indian, she, too, is an outsider being raised by strangers, and she, too, has unanswered questions about the past. As her emotional barriers begin to crumble, Molly discovers that she has the power to help Vivian find answers to mysteries that have haunted her for her entire life - answers that will ultimately free them both."

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Mastiff (Beka Cooper, #3) by Tamora Pierce -Tamora Pierce 2-3-15
This is the third in the Beka Cooper series. I really enjoyed it. It is well written and entertaining, and the character development is well done. The twist at the end totally took me by surprise. It was awesome.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson -Stieg Larsson 2-10-15
In 2014, I said: "This has been the most brilliantly written book I've read this year. It took me a little while at first to get into the plot because it took a while for the characters to be introduced, but once the multi-pronged plot really took off, I was impressed with the depth of the characters and the details put into the facets of the plot. This is definitely an addition to my favorites list."

In 2015, I still love this book and won't detract a word I said the first time. I will add, however, that I noticed a few details that I missed the first time through. Plus, word to the wise, this novel deals with some horrific rape-murders and although they are not dwelt upon, the short reports on them still provide quite the word picture.

message 11: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 21 comments So I haven't posted in a while but have been busy reading. I've finished both "Anne of Green Gables" and "Anne of Avonlea". Both were very good. I liked Anne and she in some ways reminded me of my daughter Ruth. Both were well written and entertaining. I liked the characters. They really grew on me. Then I finally finished reading "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" with my son. I liked it better than I expected to since the movies get somewhat on my nerves. I think I could enjoy them all more if the Quiddich stuff was gone. Right now I am working on reading "Scary Close" by Donald Miller. He is one of my favorite authors and the book is hitting close to home. I am also working on "By the Shores of Silver Lake" with my daughter. We are closing in on finishing the LIttle House Series. That is continuing to be good. That's all for now. Hope to read more soon.

message 12: by Chuck (new)

3. Read a graphic novel.
4. Read a western.
"Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Audio book)" by Jack Finney
9. Your choice.
"Angels of Vengeance" by John Birmingham

message 13: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Currently listening to the audio book of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" by Jack Finney.

Winner of the AudioFile Earphones Award

"On a quiet fall evening in the small, peaceful town of Mill Valley, California, Dr. Miles Bennell discovered an insidious, horrifying plot. Silently, subtly, almost imperceptibly, alien life-forms were taking over the bodies and minds of his neighbors, his friends, his family, the woman he loved—the world as he knew it.

First published in 1955, this classic thriller of the ultimate alien invasion and the triumph of the human spirit over an invisible enemy."

message 14: by Chuck (new)

3. Read a graphic novel.
4. Read a western.
9. Your choice.
"Believer: My Forty Years in Politics" by David Axelrod

message 15: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Now reading "Believer: My Forty Years in Politics" by David Axelrod.

"The heart of Believer is Axelrod’s twenty-year friendship with Barack Obama, a warm partnership that inspired both men even as it propelled each to great heights. Taking a chance on an unlikely candidate for the U.S. Senate, Axelrod ultimately collaborated closely with Obama on his political campaigns, and served as the invaluable strategist who contributed to the tremendous victories of 2008 and 2012. Switching careers again, Axelrod served as senior adviser to the president during one of the most challenging periods in national history: working at Obama’s side as he battled an economic disaster; navigated America through two wars; and fought to reform health care, the financial sector, and our gridlocked political institutions. In Believer, Axelrod offers a deeper and richer profile of this extraordinary figure—who in just four years vaulted from the Illinois State Senate to the Oval Office—from the perspective of one who was at his side every step of the way.

Spanning forty years that include corruption and transformation, turmoil and progress, Believer takes readers behind the closed doors of politics even as it offers a thrilling call to democratic action. Axelrod’s Believer is a powerful and inspiring memoir enlivened by the charm and candor of one of the greatest political strategists in recent American history."

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 21 comments So I just finished "Merle's Door". Merle is a dog so this is my book with an animal in the title. It was a great book about one man and his interactions with his dog. It gave interesting insights into the interactions between dogs and humans. Grab a tissue box though because you will need it. After the emotional toll I took from reading this, I'm picking a little light reading next so it's time to read "Wedge's Gamble" another Star Wars book.

message 17: by Sheila (last edited Mar 01, 2015 11:49AM) (new)

Sheila | 74 comments Mod
I just got back from my second vacation this month. I like not working for a month but, alas, I must go back tomorrow. I just shoveled my walk as best I could. Ice, snow, ice--what a mess! So I have done some reading this month but not as much as I usually do. Hey, I was at Disney World, Ormond Beach, and Wild Wicked Weekend in San Antonio. Lots going on at all these places so not so much time to read but here's my list so far:

5/9, 13 books

3. Read a graphic novel--Ms. Marvel: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson--finished 2/28/14.
4. Read a western.
5. Read a book written by an author from another country--Hot Ride by Opal Carew (she's Canadian)--finished 2/15/15.
6. Read a book with an animal in the title--Foxy by Lisa Fox--finished 2/10/15.
7. Read a love story for Valentine's Day--Be My Everything by Ella Jade--finished 2/23/14.
9. Your choice--The Accidental Bestseller by Wendy Wax--finished 2/5/15.

Bonus:
Reunion in Death by J. D. Robb--finished 2/8/15
Swinging Games, Collection 1 by Adriana Kraft--finished 2/14/15
The Alpha's Pet by Shannon West--finished 2/15/15
Taken by Storm by Opal Carew--finished 2/16/15
Heroic Measures by Jo Ann Power--finished 2/18/15
Vanilla by Megan Hart--finished 2/23/15
The Billionaire Bachelors Trilogy by R. G. Alexander--finished 2/27/15
The Dork and the Deathray by E. G. Foley--finished 2/28/15

I loved Heroic Measures by Jo Ann Power. It's about WWI nurses and what happened when they went to war. The author got the time period very well. I liked that this is a time in history that is so underwritten about in fiction. Society changed a lot during the WWI era and into the 1920's. Very interesting read, some romance, but mostly about one nurse and her life on the battle front.

message 18: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Sheila wrote: "I just got back from my second vacation this month. I like not working for a month but, alas, I must go back tomorrow. I just shoveled my walk as best I could. Ice, snow, ice--what a mess! So I..."

Sounds like you had lots of fun, welcome back!

message 19: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Is the month of February almost gone already???? Here are more of my February books,

3. Read a graphic novel.
4. Read a western.
"Fragile Things" by Neil Gaiman
9. Your choice.
"Believer: My Forty Years in Politics" by David Axelrod

message 20: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Now listening to the audio CD of Neil Gaiman's "Fragile Things."

"A stunning collection of short stories by the acclaimed fantasy writer. The distinctive genius of Neil Gaiman has been championed by writers as diverse as Norman Mailer and Stephen King. With THE SANDMAN Neil Gaiman created one of the most sophisticated, intelligent and influential graphic novel series of our time. Now after the recent success of his latest novel ANANSI BOYS, Gaiman has produced FRAGILE THINGS, his second collection of short fiction. These stories will dazzle your senses, haunt your imagination and move you to the very depths of your soul. This extraordinary compilation reveals one of the world's most gifted storytellers at the height of his powers."

"Fragile Things" won the 2007 Locus Award for Best Collection.

message 21: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 74 comments Mod
Chuck wrote: "Sheila wrote: "I just got back from my second vacation this month. I like not working for a month but, alas, I must go back tomorrow. I just shoveled my walk as best I could. Ice, snow, ice--wha..."

I had a blast!

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Sorry to post so late, been a bit busy lately.

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson -Stieg Larsson 2-15-15
Just as was the case with the first book of the Millennium trilogy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, this has been one of the most brilliantly written books I've read so far this year. I was impressed with the depth of the characters and the details put into the facets of the plot. Unlike the first book, however, this novel doesn’t stand alone well at all. It ends abruptly with a cliffhanger, and reading the last of the trilogy is essential to wrapping all the various pieces of the plot. It is definitely an addition to my favorites list, however.

Warning: this novel has a lot of sex scenes.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) by Stieg Larsson -Stieg Larsson 2-20-15
Just as was the case with the first two books of the Millennium trilogy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire, this has been one of the most brilliantly written books I've read so far this year. I was impressed with the depth of the characters and the details put into the facets of the plot. Unlike the first book, however, this novel doesn’t stand alone well at all. It picks up right where the second novel leaves off and successfully pulls all the facets of the plots to a satisfying conclusion. It is definitely an addition to my favorites list.

Warning: this novel contains intense scenes of both violence and sex, respectively, not together.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg -Fannie Flagg 2-25-15
This was an interesting and entertaining historical novel set in Alabama. It is well written, and the characters are well drawn. It was often quite funny, and its two-pronged plot is all about women's relationships, primarily with each other.

message 23: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 74 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Sorry to post so late, been a bit busy lately.

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson-Stieg Larsson 2-15-15
Just as was the case with the first book of the Millennium trilogy, [book:Th..."

I loved Fried Green Tomatoes. It is one of my favorites.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel yes, I enjoyed it a lot. I have the movie and thought I might as well read the book. I will say that in the movie, there wasn't as much suggestion that Idgie and Ruth were more than business partners though, so that implication surprised me.