The Sword and Laser discussion

Local Group Meetups > Philadelphia Meetup

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pujashree (last edited Jan 29, 2015 01:29PM) (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments Migrating conversation over from the Abington, PA group since most folks on there wanted to meet in Philly. So I'm hoping more folks are interested in a city meetup!

Looking to hold the first meetup this month, perhaps at the Central Branch of the Free Library or Darling's Cafe nearby? I'm open to other locations in the city as well.

What dates work for folks this month? I am good with Thursdays or Fridays after work, and Sundays. I wouldn't mind having one early this month since some of us wanted to meet and discuss last month's pick as well and this month's pick is kinda short.

message 2: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments I can do Thursdays after work or Sunday.

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatianajb) | 15 comments Any of those days work for me (But I am traveling this weekend and next weekend)!

Thanks so much for making a Philly thread! Hopefully we will get a few more people interested in meeting up!

message 4: by Pujashree (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments If we do a Thursday meetup, are you guys ok with a meeting time after 7pm? It takes me an hour to get into the city and I work till 6ish. I can do Thursdays evenings of 2/19 and 2/26 after 7, but looks like I ran out of free Sundays this month :( I might be able to swing an early meeting on Sunday, 2/22, if that works for others, but I'd have to leave by noon-ish.

message 5: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments I'm down for Sunday the 22nd in the morning.

message 6: by Pujashree (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments Sunday the 22nd opened up for me entirely so I can do whatever time now. Let me know what time windows work and I'll put up a Sword and Laser Event. Can we still meet at the library?

message 7: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments The library is open 1-5. If we want to meet there I'll have to check to see if anything is available when I'm back on Tuesday. I would still like to do morning, though. Maybe we can meet at a coffee shop in Center City?

message 8: by Pujashree (last edited Feb 16, 2015 06:39AM) (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments How about around 11am? Elixr (off Walnut on Sydenham between 15th and 16th) has a large seating space. Or Joe next to Rittenhouse Barnes & Noble?

message 9: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments 11 is perfect, and either of those places work well for me. If people are coming in on Septa Elixer would be better because it's closer to the Walnut-Locust stop.

message 10: by Pujashree (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments Created an event page for Sunday. Feel free to test it out, invite other, RSVP, etc.

https://www.goodreads.com/event/show/...

message 11: by Pujashree (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments Cancelled this month's meet up due to winter storm and not enough attendees. Will try again another month.

message 12: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) I just joined the S&L GoodReads group. Anyone interested in resuscitating the Philly meet up -- or book club -- or pointing me in the right direction?

message 13: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments I'd be up for trying again.

message 14: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Excellent! I'll see if I can interest any others.

message 15: by Pujashree (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments Hi, I would love to try again!

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Should we try for something in early to mid-July? (I'll be out of the city for a few weeks after that.)

message 17: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments Early July is pretty horrible schedule-wise for me. I can do mid. Are we still thinking Thursdays or Sundays?

message 18: by Pujashree (last edited Jun 15, 2017 06:21AM) (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments Are we looking to discuss the June pick or whatever is picked for July? Early July might be a tad too soon to read the July pick, but I can do mid-July. I would prefer Sunday afternoons, but I can do any weeknight 7pm onwards.

message 19: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) I could do Sunday the 9th or any weeknight (except Wednesday) after that. I'm out of town from the 16th on.

message 20: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) We could also aim for August if summer schedules and lack of lead-up time make July too difficult...

message 21: by Pujashree (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments I would be up for any date between the 9th and the 16th of July. I will be traveling abroad for most of August, so that's a no-go for me. Unless it's after the 23rd.

message 22: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Should we shoot for Thursday the 13th, which, depending on how long it is, may give us enough time to read the July pick?

message 23: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments Do we know the July pick yet? I'm a few episodes behind on the podcast...

message 24: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) I just joined the group, but I don't think there's yet any July book...

message 25: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments If we think we can read whichever book it is in 13 days, I'm fine with the 13th. 6-ish in Center City? I'd offer space at the library but we're fully booked up and there's no rooms available...

message 26: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Sounds great! Center City works with me.

message 27: by Pujashree (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments That day works fine for me. Although, can we shoot more towards 6:30pm? I have a bit of a commute, and it's a bit hard for me to get out earlier than 5:30pm from where I work.

Any ideas where in Center City? Most of the coffee shops tend to close by 5-7pm. South Philly and University City ones tend to be open a little later, like Good Karma, Ultimo and Caffe Bene.

message 28: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Those three are great options. I can meet at any one.

message 29: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments I like the idea of Ultimo - it's right by the Snyder BSL stop and I can walk there... :)

message 30: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Great --- I'll create an event: 6:30, Thursday July 13th at the Ultimo on 1900 S 15th Street. Hopefully we'll have time to finish the July pick by then!

message 31: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments FYI it closes at 8.

message 32: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Alright, I made an event for the S&L group, scheduled it from 6:30 to 8:00, though they may kick us out a bit earlier than that.

https://www.goodreads.com/event/show/...

message 33: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments And if we want to, we can always head across the street to South Philly Tap Room after :)

message 34: by Pujashree (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments Thanks, Travis for setting this up! I got distracted by life stuff for a few days there. I'll see you both there, and hopefully a few more people. I think even if we don't finish the book, it might be fun to check in in the middle of reading about first impressions, to be tied up at a later meeting.

message 35: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) I agree!

message 36: by Pujashree (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments So turns out I can't make it on the 13th after all, because of unavoidable family stuff. If that is still the only good day for everyone, stick with it, and I'll catch you all at another month's meetup. Otherwise I could do earlier that week (Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday).

It's Ursula K. Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness. Which I've been meaning to read forever.

message 37: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments Oh yay! I just read that one a few months ago! I can meet Tuesdays after 6, Thursday or Friday after 5, or most Sundays.

message 38: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) I have also been wanting to read this for a long time. And I am also free on Tuesday. Should we say Tuesday then?

message 39: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Only catch is: if Tuesday, I'd need to meet at 8:00.

message 40: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments Yeah, that might be too late unless we only meet for an hour or so. I work early the next morning and need to sleep...

message 41: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) How about early Friday, 5:30 or so?

message 42: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments I can do that - I'm off work on Friday :)

message 43: by Pujashree (last edited Jun 27, 2017 12:12PM) (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments I can do Tuesday. I will be gone from Thursday through the weekend. Dena, if we meet at 8 and break at 9:30 or so, is that ok? Ultimo closes at 9pm though. So maybe it'll be just an hour.

message 44: by Dena (new)

Dena (lalien) | 58 comments Yeah, that should be fine if we end by 9 - 9:30 on Tuesday.

message 45: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Great! I'll create a new event. Looking forward to it.

message 46: by Pujashree (new)

Pujashree | 54 comments Thanks so much!! See you all then!

message 47: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) I'm almost finished with this novel --- so much to talk about! Looking forward to tomorrow!

Anyone in the Philly area is welcome to join us: 8:00 p.m. Tuesday the 11th, Ultimo Coffee at 1900 South 15th Street.