2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
. Week 9: Female Author > The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Guy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Guy | 37 comments This is one that I could have used in several different weeks. I was planning on reading it in any case. For now it seems to fit in my list best in this spot.

message 2: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
This my choice also. It's been on my list for a really long time. I don't really know what to expect but I've heard that it's really good!

message 3: by Guy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Guy | 37 comments So far I am finding it fascinating. According to my trusty Kindle device I'm 35% through. It reads like a detective story. Except it's true and personally involves many people. So there's the big story and also the more intimate tale of Henrietta and her family.

message 4: by Anastasia (new) - added it

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments My family and I enjoyed listening to the audio book. There are some difficult parts to listen to, but the story is a very important one.

message 5: by Berit (new)

Berit | 138 comments This was such a good book, so very very interesting and so very very thought-provoking.

SaraFair Wow, yet another one that I can get at the recycled book store and has always interested me. Looking forward to what you have to say about this one.

message 7: by Mia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mia | 6 comments I read this book last year and I really enjoyed it. It reads really quickly for nonfiction.

message 8: by Guy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Guy | 37 comments Finished the book last night. I agree with Anastasia that some parts are indeed difficult. But it's a fascinating story and unfolds on so many levels.
One of the best books I've read in a long while. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves a good story and especially to anyone with an interest or background in science. Plus it's extremely well written.

Jana This book blew me away when I read it in 2010. I could not believe many things about the story. The first being that consent was not required. The second being that such an innocuous interest could turn into such an obsession and then into a book. As a chemist, the book gave me a LOT of things to think about.

I was blessed to be able to attend a lecture given by the author at the community college where she got her start. It was a very interesting talk in many ways. I love hearing about different people's life path and what twists and turns they can take. Especially the paths that are significantly different from the norm.

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 18 comments I am a Biologist and this was a book that had interested me when one of my fellow teachers had it in her classroom. I asked to borrow it and read it in just a few days. It blew me away. Now I use this to lead discussions with students about rights to their bodies and ethical discussions about who should be able to profit off of you, patents on DNA and genes, etc....This was a great book and really makes you think.

message 11: by Berit (new)

Berit | 138 comments I absolutely loved this book, and I am not even close to being a scientist. Is just such a great story about humanity and the lack there of.