Harlequin Books discussion

Why Romance? > Why romance?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Harlequin Books (last edited Feb 02, 2015 06:09PM) (new)

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 2144 comments Mod
What is it about romance that makes its fans so loyal? Why do you read romance?

What makes romance a romance?

Authors, what about romance made you want to write the genre?

message 2: by Babs (new)

Babs (babsbookbistro) | 5 comments I love to read romance for different reasons. How the women handle themselves along with the men. We each handle situations differently and it is nice to see a change from the same old thing.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (lucky47) | 4 comments I love reading romaance stories. I think because ultimately we all love to read that happy ending. How they got there and with historical it's going back to vissit a time unlike ours now.,
Carol L

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Rice | 11 comments I love reading romance because it's a wonderful escape from your daily life and yet at the same time enriches it... After all love is what we all seek what could be more exciting and life affirming and optimistic than reading about how people get to their happy ever after while defeating all the obstacles in their path? I love writing it for the same reason.

message 5: by Debbie (last edited Feb 03, 2015 11:23AM) (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments There is many reasons I love romance but let me tell you a story about why I started reading romance. I loved thrillers the scarier the better that changed when my husband was diagnosed with cancer. No more could I enjoy those cut throat stories I had to have happy ever afters that's when I started reading romance. Why I still love romance is because at the end of a long hard day all I want is a sexy hero and an HEA. There's just no better genre out there! :)

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Renee (theamandarenee) | 38 comments Hello. I am Harlequin American Romance author Amanda Renee. Why romance? I love small towns and feel good stories where people find love despite the obstacles life throws at them. We all go through hard times, but romance gives us that happy ever after we may not be feeling at the moment. There's a coziness to a good romance. I devoured Zebra Historical Series Romances when I a teenager. There was a used book store near my home and I was able to trade those books in for other used books. That's where I discovered my first Harlequin. We were always traveling when I was growing up...my romance novels made the day long drive-times and rainy days fly by. I haven't put them down since.

message 7: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Hobbes (elisabethhobbes) | 23 comments In my real life I'm a big old cynic who doesn't really believe there is 'the one' or that love triumphs so I love the escapism and the idea that true love exists.
I'm not so bothered about reading about sex scenes but I love the interplay between characters as they get to know each other. Some of the best scenes I've read or watched have been fully clothed characters who clearly fancy the pants off each other but haven't quite got there yet.

message 8: by Bella (new)

Bella (beguilethysorrow) | 2 comments I love romance because I love love. I also enjoy the intensity of emotions and seeing relationships in different states and how they work as a couple...or, um, more lol. Because I also enjoy some hot sexy times in my books just as much as the sweet romantic gestures. For me, as long as there's a strong and influential (to the story) love in the story it's a romance.

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen (helen57) | 2 comments The HEA and the journey to get there the romance and love the fun laughter and suspense

Have Fun
Helen

message 10: by Liviania (new)

Liviania | 1 comments I can always trust a romance to end happily and give me a nice pick me up. Sometimes it makes all the drama easier if you know things will turn out well in the end.

message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 2 comments I write and read romance because I love the guaranteed happily ever after endings. Some may say that's not realistic. Well, the news is all the reality I need!

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments Janet wrote: "I write and read romance because I love the guaranteed happily ever after endings. Some may say that's not realistic. Well, the news is all the reality I need!"

I agree Janet. But what about the romance authors out there who don't have happy endings.
Do you think if it's called a romance it should have at least a happy ending.
I remember when my husband was going through his cancer treatment when I needed romance exclusively and I remember a few novels touted as romances who were two or three tissue box reads. It's in fact why now if it says it's romance I'll read the end to make sure.

message 13: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Hobbes (elisabethhobbes) | 23 comments I wonder about the happy endings but think about all the great films where the H/H don't end up together. I bet none of us would rewrite the ending to Casablanca or Brief Encounter and they're a couple of the most romantic stories I know.

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments Elisabeth wrote: "I wonder about the happy endings but think about all the great films where the H/H don't end up together. I bet none of us would rewrite the ending to Casablanca or Brief Encounter and they're a c..."

That's true Elizabeth and I agree I wouldn't want to rewrite those classics.

But when I pick up a novel that's advertised as a romance novel I want to be assured that the hero or heroine is not going to die at the end, that they're not going to end up alone. In other words I read romance because I want the HEA. Yes I have my own but I also don't want to pick up a romance and have the hero die in the end trying to be a well a hero. ie Nicolas Sparks Or the Luanne Rice novel called Cloud Nine and how many tears I shed over that one. And at a time in my life where a happy ending was necessary.

That's my humble opinion :)

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Nelson (jessicanelson) | 2 comments I love redemption and attraction. Romance provides both and of course, there is the wonderful Happily Ever After that makes my heart flutter. :-)

message 16: by Adite (new)

Adite | 20 comments Why romance? No one says it better than Rumi: 'Be drunk in love since love is everything that exists'.

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Marcus | 3 comments I love the escapism and, of course, the happy endings!!!

message 18: by Shannon (last edited Feb 05, 2015 09:03PM) (new)

Shannon (planetshannon) | 24 comments I am a little stumped at this question! I do enjoy the relationship journey, and although I wouldn't say I always want there to be a Happily Ever After I do find calm in knowing that it will all (eventually) be okay.

I am also a fan of the racier novels and prefer if there is some heat going on throughout the book.

Interesting about romance films too, it's rare to get films where romance is the most important element at all. Except romantic comedies, which is it's own genre. Fascinating!

message 19: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Hobbes (elisabethhobbes) | 23 comments Shannon wrote: "Interesting about romance films too, it's rare to get films where romance is the most important element at all. Except romantic comedies, which is it's own genre. Fascinating! "

I know. I'm taking part in the Harper Collins Romance Festival Q&A and one of the questions was about my favourite romantic film, and thinking of one which is purely about romance was very difficult as there seem to be very few that are purely romance.

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (planetshannon) | 24 comments Elisabeth wrote: "I know. I'm taking part in the Harper Collins Romance Festival Q&A and one of the questions was about my favourite romantic film, and thinking of one which is purely about romance was very difficult as there seem to be very few that are purely romance."

What did you choose for your favourite romantic film Elisabeth? I'm so curious!

Current releases for romantic films tend to be period dramas. There is the occasional "relationship drama" (I would put One Day and Once in this category), but not all are romantic (such as Blue Valentine).

One of my favourites is The Adjustment Bureau. It's presented as speculative fiction, but it's all about the relationship. Ladyhawke too, it's all about the relationship but has comedy and fantasy so it feels like a difference genre.

I digress! I ran a film blog for years and can easily slip into film-speak!

message 21: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments I love all the great romance quotes and am saving them to use on my blog later :) thanks and sorry in advance for stealing he he!

I think my favorite romance film of all time has to be An Affair To Remember for classic for contemporary if you can call the 80s contemporary is You've Got Mail! Of course I love Love Actually too!

message 22: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Ireland (KelliIreland) | 12 comments I'm popping in here for a second as both a Blaze author and, just as importantly, a MONSTER fan of romance!

So why romance? For me, it's absolutely because the world, and life, are often harder than they really should be. A good romance author lets me fall in love with every new character pairing and makes me feel like I can escape, even for a little while. I know that, no matter how bad things seem to be, that happily-ever-after is going to carry me through and, for that moment, everything seems possible.

I'm not really a genre "purist," I guess. I read (and write) contemporary and paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. The UF is the darker of my stuff, and while each book in my upcoming series doesn't guarantee a happily ever after, when the series wraps? Holy Moses. Best. Ending. Ever. LOL It's the book of my heart, for sure.

Keep the chat going. This is brilliant...um...research for me. :) It's great to learn why we all love romance. It helps me give you more of what you want!

message 23: by Harlequin Books (new)

I've been enjoying the answer as well Kelli. Purely from a readers pov though. It has been interesting to hear all the different answer while sitting here shaking my head in agreement.~ Kim

message 24: by Rich (new)

Rich Amooi (richamooi) Love, love, love romance. :) I love that lump-in-the-throat moment when they get through their issues and have their HEA. I HAVE TO have a happy ending and I prefer romance with humor. I love the fun dialogue, the back and forth between the hero and the heroine. Kristan Higgins is one of my favorites! :)

message 25: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Ireland (KelliIreland) | 12 comments Rich wrote: "Love, love, love romance. :) I love that lump-in-the-throat moment when they get through their issues and have their HEA. I HAVE TO have a happy ending and I prefer romance with humor. I love the f..."

Oh, man, Rich! I totally neglected to mention witty dialogue! It's one of the *most* critical aspects of what makes an author a repeat-buy for me: does s/he make me laugh? Is s/he funny? Does s/he find the humor in even the darkest times? Because there's almost always something funny available. Not that I want humor to overflow into the story's dark moment, but there has to be enough peppered throughout the rest of the story that I'm left with one-liners to chuckle over after I turn that (dreaded) final page.

GREAT point! Thanks for adding that. I feel silly or having forgotten it!

message 26: by Scott (new)

Scott Hildreth (scotthildreth) | 4 comments I think as people, we naturally are filled with hope. To sit and hope for world peace, to win the lottery, or have no financial burden whatsoever is so far fetched, we hope - but with reservation. To read a book about a man winning the lottery and living lavishly seems far fetched and more of a fairy tale to most of us.

To read a romance, as long as we are able to relate to the characters, allows us to escape. Escape and hope...

If nothing else, we hope for a fleeting moment that we, the reader, are the person in the book we are reading. This hope, and this shallow escape fills us with an inner peace and love (living vicariously through the characters) sometimes long after the story has been read.

I have searched, and no other outlet on or of this earth provides the satisfaction of falling in love with a book which fills me with hope.

And everyone wants to love and be loved.

It's all we seem to naturally seek....

message 27: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Margriet (bmargriet) | 2 comments I read romance for years before I realized I was doing so. But I automatically gravitated to books that made me feel good, that were filled with triumph and happiness. So when I finally was brave enough to try my hand at writing myself, it was only natural to write what I loved to read.

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthianetherton) I read romance because of all of the different worlds I can be transported too. And still find the HEA when I'm there.

message 29: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 60 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Why do you read romance?"

For me, the best thing about romance is that women are always up there with the men. Both are stars and heroes of their stories. It’s really the only genre where both genders are consistently given the chance to shine.

Too often in other genres the women are the cheating wife, or the bad mother who screwed up the male protagonist’s life, or the secondary character he comes home to at the end of the day.

I guess I used to read romance for the fantasy, but these days I read it because it makes women heroines, not sidekicks.

message 30: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 60 comments Brenda wrote: "I read romance for years before I realized I was doing so."

That's so true for many people - I think I was a bit that way.

I know a lot of women who still snub "dumb Mills and Boon" books (Mills and Boon is what Harlequin is called in most countries). My mother was one of them.

But when I saw what she was reading I had to point out to her that one book was a NYT bestseller for romance, and the other book was published by Harlequin/Mills and Boon! She didn't even know she was reading and enjoying romance!

message 31: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments Sonya Heaney wrote: "Brenda wrote: "I read romance for years before I realized I was doing so."

That's so true for many people - I think I was a bit that way.

I know a lot of women who still snub "dumb Mills and Boon..."

Oh Sonya, don't you just hate book snobs. I know I've dealt with a few who only read "literary ficiton". Then I introduce them to some of Mira's titles and they're like, what, that's from Harlequin.
And I just say YUP, you fool!! Plus what most people don't realize and this goes for every publishing house, if it weren't for their romance lines they wouldn't be in business. So take that you book snobs !! Heck I just read last week in Publisher's Weekly that Harper and Harlequin merging has helped Harper, well DUH! :)

message 32: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa  M Chattman (vmchatt) | 2 comments Romance is about the connection between two people

message 33: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa  M Chattman (vmchatt) | 2 comments I love books about romance because they describe intimate moments between two people

message 34: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Nightingale | 5 comments I read romance because of the feeling I get while reading and after. I enjoy it even more when there is a happily ever after or a lesson.

I write romance because I have always had ideas of how romance in relationships should or could be. I love being able to make it the way I want it to be--from my head to the page.

message 35: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Nightingale | 5 comments Sonya Heaney wrote: "Harlequin Books wrote: "Why do you read romance?"

For me, the best thing about romance is that women are always up there with the men. Both are stars and heroes of their stories. It’s really the o..."

Wow! That is so true.

message 36: by Harlequin Books (new)

I have to jump in with two quick stories about romance.

My in-laws came to visit. My FIL is an avid western reader. He forgot his books at home so he looked through my collection and grab books that "looked western." In the morning, I asked him if he enjoyed the romance he picked.

"What romance?" He looked confused.
"You're reading A Creed In Stone Creek, right? That's a romance." Duh! I live and breathe romance.
"Really? Well, it's good. Got anything else by the author? Don't tell anyone that I read romance." He looks hopeful.
"Nope. You can't read any more unless you admit you like the books and be proud of it." I smile at him.
With a sigh, "You drive a hard bargain."
I'm grabbing one Linda Lael Miller book after another from my bookshelves. "Give me the books. I'll tell people how good they are."

Score another convert for me!

Then my fantasy-loving friend who always scoffed at my romance books, asked if I had read any good fantasy books lately. I handed him Urban Shaman and told him he would love it. He did and asked me for the rest of the series. I told him only if he admitted that Harlequin published some great books. Once again, I got that confused look. He reminded me of my FIL so much that I laughed in his face and said, "Yes, you just asked me for more books published by Harlequin, those dreadful romance people." Made him admit he was wrong before I would lend him my books. :)

These two moments in my past are why I stress the diversity of Harlequin so much to my friends and family. Romance has it all.

message 37: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Pembroke (sophiepembroke) | 1 comments I love reading - and writing - romance for so many reasons! Primarily because - especially in the HQN Romance/Cherish line I write for - it is so focussed on the people. I'm fascinated by how the characters grow and change through the story, and become people who can love and be loved, at last. I like watching them become equals, partners, ready to take on the world together - and so much stronger for it.

Of course, I also love the happy endings!

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Bella wrote: "I love romance because I love love. I also enjoy the intensity of emotions and seeing relationships in different states and how they work as a couple...or, um, more lol. Because I also enjoy some h..."

This is me. I just love love stories. I don't mind what's going on in the background--alien invasion, sword and sorcery, coffee in a small town cafe, a holiday in the tropics, Navy SEALs (coming to the rescue!)--as long as I can feel that intensity of emotion. I love books that have me reaching for the tissues at the end so I can dry my happy tears. :)

message 39: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "I have to jump in with two quick stories about romance.

My in-laws came to visit. My FIL is an avid western reader. He forgot his books at home so he looked through my collection and grab books th..."

Oh that's precious Love that story Kim :)

message 40: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments I love how we all look at romance differently and yet all enjoy the same genre. It's what makes these social connections so enjoyable and just think just a few short years ago none of this was possible. We've come a long way baby!! :)

message 41: by Harlequin Books (new)

Debbie wrote: "I love how we all look at romance differently and yet all enjoy the same genre. It's what makes these social connections so enjoyable and just think just a few short years ago none of this was poss..."

That is why I love romance and more specifically Harlequins. I know I could find a romance book for any reader to try. There is something for every taste with these wonderful authors.

message 42: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Novak | 4 comments I'm a huge fan of romance--mostly because it confirms my core belief that love conquers all. I enjoy seeing love win out against any challenge, and I also enjoy reliving the magic of falling in love. In real life, most of us only get to do that once or twice. In books, we can vicariously experience the dizzying excitement over and over again.

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan Sleeman | 22 comments Since I write romantic suspense, it's obvious that I'm a romance fan. LOL. But I need the suspense, too. I just need the mystery and danger combined with the romance to keep me reading. And I don't like suspense books that have just a nod to romance. I like an equal mix of suspense and romance. That's what I look for in the books I read, and what I try to include in my books.

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylstjohn) | 1 comments I'm enjoying everyone's comments! For me romance is all about hope.

Years ago I received the most memorable letter I’ve ever received from a reader. She told me how much she’d enjoyed my book, how she identified with the characters and how she’d cried her eyes out for the heroine. She shared that, like the character in my story, she’d been stalked and beaten by someone who should have loved her. Unlike my character however, the reader has permanent nerve damage to her arm. Her story touched me so deeply that I sat and cried. This dear person’s true-life story forced me to consider the validity of what I was doing.

I sat at my desk thinking how shallow my work is. I mean, I make all this stuff up! I order peoples’ lives around and manipulate them to suit my plots -- but it’s all fiction.

While I sit in my comfortable climate controlled office with every possible convenience at my fingertips, sipping cup after cup of chai tea and munching M&Ms, out there in the world are people experiencing devastating hurts and losses and traumas. In that light, what I do seems so inconsequential.

That thinking lasted about, oh, ten minutes. And then it came to me -- I realized why this young reader had been touched so profoundly by my story. She said she hoped that some day she would meet a man like my hero, a man who would love her that same way. She had hope.

Romance is about hope.

We invest our time in the characters in these stories because we know that no matter what dilemmas befall them, no matter what obstacles they face or which conflicts arise, in the end love will conquer all; good will win over evil; and a happily-ever-after will prevail.

Each of us hopes there is a special someone out there, a special man or woman who will love us unconditionally and fill that place created in our heart just for them. Romance brings our hopes to life. Through these stories of love and commitment, we experience the fulfillment of the human dream.

What better reason do we need to love romance than a desire to be swept away in the pages of a story filled with excitement and expectation?

I write romance because I want to share the same sweeping emotions with my readers that have been shared with me by my favorite writers. I want to feel. I want to experience the excitement of falling in love over and over, of facing my fears and winning over seemingly impossible odds.

I write romance because it’s who I am and what I believe in.

message 45: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jeralibu) | 4 comments I read and write romance because I'm addicted to the Happily Ever After. Romance novels allow you to explore the highest highs and lowest lows of emotion, secure in the knowledge that by the time "THE END" appears on the page, the characters you've become attached to and maybe love a little bit will have triumphed over every challenge facing them (or enough to be happy, anyway!). Romance novels are optimistic and leave you feeling that no matter how bad life gets, there is always the chance for a happily ever after.

message 46: by Harlequin Books (new)

Speaking of wonderful authors...3 have checked in since my last post and you can see why romance is important. It gives us all hope.

message 47: by Kris (new)

Kris Rafferty (krisrafferty) | 49 comments I became a romance fan because they were the only books where the women were the main characters. That's not the case now, but in the 70s, it was true. Science Fiction was all male driven, with women as one dimensional caricatures. Then I hit my teens and loved the HEAs. Women in romance books got to have adventures, and be proactive, and I craved that. I know people criticize the romance genre as fluff, but I believe love and relationships are the most important aspects in a person's life. Accomplishments come and go, money is grand but doesn't keep you company. So, to my mind, fans of the romance genre have their priorities straight. I have my HEA, married 26 years now, but I like re-imagining how it could have started if I met my husband today, with every book I write or read, and it never gets old.

message 48: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Helm (nicolehelm) | 1 comments I read and write and LOVE romance because I think there is no greater power in this world than love. We're surrounded by hate and bitterness and anger on a daily basis with the news, why not lose yourself in a world where you know even if love can't FIX everything, it can help get you through the hard stuff?

I think romance is really all about the human experience. Overcoming failures, meeting challenges, and building relationships. It's what we do every day--learn to trust, to forgive, to accept, to move on, to love, to enjoy.

And the absolute best thing about romance? There's something for everyone. Inspirational, suspense, realistic, fairy tale, set everywhere, in just about any time. You name it, there's a book out there for you with a guaranteed HEA.

message 49: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (mamaw1999) Always looking for the happily ever after.

message 50: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Herbert | 1 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "What is it about romance that makes its fans so loyal? Why do you read romance?

What makes romance a romance?

Authors, what about romance made you want to write the genre?"

I read and write romance because I believe that love, like magic, casts its own spell of enchantment. I've been happily married for over 35 years and still get sentimental and tingly about my husband. Romance rocks!

« previous 1 3