Thirteen Reasons Why Thirteen Reasons Why discussion

My Thoughts About "Thirteen Reasons Why" (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clary (last edited Jan 29, 2015 12:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Clary Hi, so I've read this book a few years ago and I just wanted to share you my thoughts about this book.

I don't recall much, but I do remember that most of the story is about Hannah's tapes which Clay listens to while he shares you his emotions along the way.

"Thirteen Reasons Why" allows the reader to explore the world of a girl who tells you a devastating story that will change you're whole atmosphere and a pierce through your heart that gives you grief to that girl and will make you more aware of what's happeneing in your surroundings. Most likely, Highschool. At least that's how I felt at the end of the story.

At the same time, however, I feel a slight anger towards how the book was written.

I do not recommend this book to someone who is feeling depressed and or uneeded at the moment.

WARNING: There may be some rants.

I feel like there are so many things that are missing and just messed up, which people need to learn how to make the right decisions. Yes, this is a book about teenagers, who usuallay make mistakes, then learn from it.
But this is different. Hannah made mistakes: making the wrong friends, choosing the wrong guy, etc. In Highschool. But just decided to end her life, where there are so many opportunities waiting outside of Highschoo. Out in the world. Above all, you have your familiy. Why would you end your life just cause of some people who make you feel uneasy?! YOU HAVE YOUR FAMILIY. ASK FOR THEIR HELP. MOVE OUT OF TOWN. FORGET ALL THE CRUELITY OF YOUR HIGHSCHOOL.
I mean seriously, THINK before you make a move. IF I do this, what will happen? Will this person be a true friend? Is this appropriate? I just met this guy, I need to know him better. Can I TRUST this person? All that stuff.
But noooo. This is why I don't recommend it to someone who is thinking about suicide. Just by reading this book, it discourages someone to just give up on life. That there is nothing left for you, but to just give in, just like what Hannah did. Above all, there is nothing positive about this book. Not one light that can peek in the dark feeling of this book.

First, Hannah has a crush on a boy named Justin and that is totally normal to have a crush. But kissing right after the bat? Especially YOUR FIRST KISS? WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THAT DUDE? Just no. Which is why the whole rumor started because of her decision.

Second, the peeping tom who spies on Hannah? WHY would you tell someone who is not close to you? Then the both of you to decide something inapropriate to even get the peeping Tom's attention? WOW. Just call a police.

Marcus, the valentine survey which Hannah ended up to be a match with then goes on a date immediately. Really now. DO YOU KNOW THAT DUDE? Your like selling your feelings.

Jenny Kurtz, one of the reasons why Hannah suicide, because JEnny simply hit a stop sign and injued and killed a man. How does that even make you want to suicide?!

Clay. Yeah, he had a crush on Hannah. Don't remember much between them, but wow. They also tried to do something. Um yeah. I guess hes okay, but he could've done better. Especially if he had a crush on Hannah. I know if I were him, and I had a crush, it would certainly not just catching a glimpse of each other, smiling. lul. But actually trying to get to be friends and know more about each other, become attached, and that is when you'll get to know and understand that person, annd if this happened, the Hannah's world surely would've changed, that nothing mattered, but the person that understands you and makes you happy and that can defend you in any way.

I'd write more, but I feel like i've written a lot. But if you want to ask questions about more of my thoughts feel free.

Anyway, if this offends someone, I do not mean to, its just my personal thoughts, and how the story would've been reversed if there had been more options, other than thinking that the world is ending for oneself. Just something that gives one hope, other than really bringing a person down.

Melrose's Well, 13 reason why cleared my head on suicide that it's not a joke, not a laughing matter. She was a child, she was irrational. She needed guidance, a light, someone. I think the book was in between reality and fictional. She witnessed a rape, she was humiliated and she was suffering from depression. Her feelings were haywire, confused and I think it's not about Hannah Baker it's about the reader. If you find someone sad or somehow depressed you don't look at them indifferently, talk to them strangely or ask them if their alright even you know he/she is not. They don't need your shitty advice, your barks and remarks. They need you to be with them, listen and understand. Everyone is made different. Some is strong and others are weak and fragile. The ones who suffers from inflicting pain and at the verge of suicide is having mental illness, mental breakdown. They don't need judgement, they need help. That's what I think :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ya, I didn't think the reasons she had to kill herself were actually that bad. I don't know...

Clary It seems like she looked for reasons to end her life. She even listed them, which is even worst because it just makes you want to end your life even more, it takes you back to what they did. You don't move on or try to get your thoughts off of it. I don't even think the story is about bullying. It's more like abuse.

Bullying could be when someone says cruel things to you and those words crawl into your mind, and its like the bully wrinkled your picture, and no matter how it tries to be straighten it up or make it flat, it will never be the same. And when it's done some serious damage to your mind, then that is like a mental illness. You start getting depressed and all that because the words that hav been spoken to the victim are swarming around his/her brain.

Now in Thirteen Reasons Why, the MC was abused because of her decisions. She basically like offered herself into all the mess. This is my opinion ok.

Now if I were to encounter someone who is depressed, yes I would be with them, listen, understand and LEND A HAND. I wouldnt just sit around and listen and try to understand, no. I think that's what Clay did. And what happened? Regrets.
There is no shitty advice. They could come in handy. If one doesn't want advice, then just see whats going to happen ahead of you. And then in the end? Yeah. Regrets. "I should've listened." "I should've said something."

Maddy Well, I just got this book but i really like like suspense but after reading your comments i am not so sure anymore

Whitney I really struggled with this book, like, I strongly disliked it. I've had two people in my life commit suicide, a brother and a close friend, and I feltthat this book just trivialized suicide/mental illness in a way. I also felt like this could give those considering suicide the extra push, to make "tapes" for their attackers.

I had a friend recommend this book to me,and I picked it up and read it without even knowing the content, which I deeply regret. I do think it has a good message about the effects of bullying, and the limits it can push a person to, but since it falls in the young adult category, I really wouldn't want any angsty hormonal teens to read this. I am 22 and it was disturbing. After seeing what my little brother went through I really disliked this book, I don't think it portrayed the reality of suicide well.

Wouldn't recommend to those even entertaining depressing thoughts

Liliana Smith Invisible wrote: "Hi, so I've read this book a few years ago and I just wanted to share you my thoughts about this book.

I don't recall much, but I do remember that most of the story is about Hannah's tapes which C..."

I get that these are completely your own opinions, but you have to understand that in the teenage mind (I'm a teenager) the smallest thing can make the biggest difference, and the things that happened may have been partially her fault, but whatever happened she didn't deserve to feel that way. Teenagers are impressionable, and they make mistakes, and its not fair that someone made some mistakes, they felt so desperate that they had to commit suicide.

message 8: by Clary (last edited Feb 08, 2015 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Clary Whitney wrote: "I really struggled with this book, like, I strongly disliked it. I've had two people in my life commit suicide, a brother and a close friend, and I feltthat this book just trivialized suicide/menta..."

Sorry to hear about your loss..

Liliana wrote: "Invisible wrote: "Hi, so I've read this book a few years ago and I just wanted to share you my thoughts about this book.

I don't recall much, but I do remember that most of the story is about Hann..."

I understand :) I am a teenager as well. And I have to admit, suicide has crossed my mind because of depression since childhood (familily problems) but not in the slightest will I do it because I have faith or whatever. I guess some teenagers just think differently. But I believe that they should open their minds too and seek guidance.

message 9: by inaword (new) - added it

inaword ºO•IՈ౮ɿςɿცՆ૯•Oº wrote: "Hi, so I've read this book a few years ago and I just wanted to share you my thoughts about this book.

I don't recall much, but I do remember that most of the story is about Hannah's tapes which C..."

There sure is a lot of victim blaming here.

As someone who has never been suicidal or depressed I can't really sympathize with Hannah and her decision, but I can accept the logic of it. She was living a miserable existence and she thought that it wasn't going to get any better, and I'm sure that being a (most likely) depressed and hormonal teenager didn't help things, at all.

And she did try to reach out at the end, but that ended up backfiring terribly and probably ended up providing support that her decision was the right one.

People who are suicidal are emotionally compromised in one way or another, and it's a more complex problem than something that can be solved by making a new friend (especially if depression is involved).