Speak, Memory
This topic is about Speak, Memory
Rory Book Discussions > February's book 2015 Speak, Memory

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 25 comments February's book of the month
What did you think?

Julia I read it a couple of years ago. It is an amazing auto-biography, I think he really captures the essence of the memories of our lives not being linearly ordered, but having its own logic and connections instead. I really admire Nabokov.

message 3: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 25 comments Julia if you've read them, would you say it is comparable to Proust's In Search of Lost Time series?

Julia Well yes, I've read the seven books and loved them! I hadn't thought of that connection but yes, maybe you can say they have a similar view on memories. Also, the dreamy atmosphere both authors create. Yes, you may be right :)

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) I've read about 50 pages, and I'm sorry to say that I'm not really enjoying it. Some of the writing is quite good, but something seems to be missing for me.

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) Is anyone else finding it difficult?

Stephanie (stephy3232) | 6 comments I'm having trouble sinking in to the book.

I'm trying to read it on lunch breaks and before appointments and exercise classes, and that's probably contributing to my difficulties. I'll block off a few hours to focus on the story and hope that will increase my enjoyment.

Stephanie (stephy3232) | 6 comments I finished over the weekend. I found this book hard to get through and wound up skimming the last several pages. Some of his stories were interesting to me and I like the idea of telling a memoir through a collection of memories vs chronologically but this book was out of my depth.

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) I felt the same way, Stephany. I gave up after 50 pages, though.

Devin | 15 comments I finally finished this up over the weekend, too. When I read that this was the quintessential autobiography/memoir, I couldn't wait to see what elevated it, what set it apart - and I have to admit that I'm still struggling to see exactly what that was. Admittedly, some of the writing was beautiful. I especially thought that the final two chapters, which were addressed more to his wife than the reader, were exceptional. It was also interesting to think that everything in the book has become mere memory because Nabokov's way of life (as a child) is over. Aside from those brief beautiful passages, however, I struggled through this book. Chapter three in particular was skimmed through a little bit because it was all about genealogy and family history. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who had difficulty with this text!

message 11: by Siri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Siri (sirikh) | 3 comments I just finished this book (a bit late, I know), and I agree with the above, It was hard to read and some parts were terribly slow and painful to get through. Some parts were beautifully written, but I have to admit it was a relief to finally turn the last page.

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) Siri wrote: "I just finished this book (a bit late, I know), and I agree with the above, It was hard to read and some parts were terribly slow and painful to get through. Some parts were beautifully written, bu..."

Well done, Siri!