Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Former editor seeks beta swap for 65 k Literary Adult novel

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nada (last edited Jan 29, 2015 03:49AM) (new)

Nada | 30 comments Hi there, if you write (contemporary) literary fiction and are looking for someone with sharp editorial insight and professional editing skills to swap your full ms with, we might be a fit. My novel is adult lit fiction with elements of non-fiction. Synopsis:

Post-traumatic single mum flees homeland with young son and memory loss.
In Narrative Exposure Therapy afterwards, she’s made to lay down a stone on a length of string, for each ‘event’ on her time-line. Week by week, she recovers her memory by narrating a ‘stone’, from birth, Stone #1, to Stone #44: the final, climactic ‘Event’.

I work exceptionally fast. Ideally, I'm looking for someone with similarly short turn-around.

Some of my favourite writers are Denis Johnson, Alice Munro, Mary Gaitskill, Zadie Smith.

I'm useless at editing YA, SF, erotica, Fantasy as I don't know enough about those genres.

PM please if you'd like to discuss a swap in detail.

message 2: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Close (charlieclose) | 2 comments Hi, Nada,

I could turn around 65k in 2-3 weeks. I don't have any work to trade right now, but I am working on a collection of literary fiction novellas that I should have a draft of in a few months. Would you be willing to trade help now for future consideration?

I work more on the pop side of literary fiction. My resume here:

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Close/e...

Thanks.

Charlie

message 3: by Nada (new)

Nada | 30 comments Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your interest, and yes, I'll look at your work when it's ready. If you PM me with your email, we could work out the details.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Nada

message 4: by April (new)

April Grunspan (agru) | 12 comments Hey Nada,

Not having had much luck in getting responses from beta readers, I'm hoping we can manage to turn that around.

I've also written a piece of literary fiction currently sitting around 70,000.

I've put in a friend request so we can communicate backchannel.

Cheers!
April

message 5: by Nada (new)

Nada | 30 comments Hi April,

Thanks for your interest. Would you please PM me about your ms?

All best,

Nada

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Umbaugh | 379 comments Hi Charlie,

Literary fiction is my strong suit! Check out my bookshelf! My professional editing service has a beta reading arm. Please email me at ssumbaugh@aol.com and perhaps we can exchange details and see if we are a fit. I have 1 slot still open for May.

Thanks,
Sharon

message 7: by Robert (last edited Apr 18, 2015 03:37PM) (new)

Robert Rowen | 12 comments @ Dennis - I'll do a swap on that. I'm a mid boomer, 62 in August, so I can prolly relate. For a swap, I have a drama in a business/political setting. I'm also just looking for general comments, pacing, engagement, character, etc. Mine's a bit longer, but my concerns are in the early going, so finishing is up to you.

bob_rowen@yahoo.com if you're interested.