Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Promotions & Advertisements > Promoting my New Book

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Brule (jrbrule) | 5 comments Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy, perhaps you can help me. I self published my new novel, Mind Trap, back in November, and have gathered a dozen good reviews since that time, hoping to attract new readers. I've joined book clubs and blogged about my journey as an author. Now, I'm reaching out to you all, for input on where to go next. I'd love to find new readers.

For anyone interested, my book can be found here, along with a sample of the first 6 chapters (and I apologize for the long url): http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Trap-J-R-B...

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 146 comments J.R. wrote: "... I self published my new novel, Mind Trap, back in November, and have gathered a dozen good reviews since that time, hoping to attract new readers..."

You have my sympathy. A friend and I followed a similar route a couple of years ago. We are still waiting! There is one poor review on Goodreads, several far better ones on Amazon.co.uk - we are satisfied that while our product has a few faults, it is still ahead of much work that gets picked up and published with full commercial support. What we have failed badly on is marketing. That is not included in our combined skills set!
So if you do manage to reach any sort of breakaway point, please let us know how you did it! I have read lots of advice on marketing, and followed some of it - but I am coming to believe that either you have to put in a full-time job-equivalent on marketing, or rely on the other major component - plain damned LUCK!
So it goes.

message 3: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 45 comments Although still a minnow in the grand scheme of book selling, I'm quite happy with the way things are going. The turning point for me was completing my trilogy, putting the first book up for free and putting the others in kindle select with the occasional promo of a reduced price. I combined this with advertising on many of the available listing sites. From there on in, the rest has been via word of mouth from the readers that the promos attracted.

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 146 comments David wrote: "... The turning point for me was completing my trilogy, putting the first book up for free an..."

Thanks David. We are discussing plans to do something similar later this year with the fifth book.
Part of the problem is that you don't know what advice to follow until you have invested a lot of time and effort in the wrong advice - and even then, luck may well have been a factor! The publishing world is totally confusing at the moment (and I have that from some insiders, its not just the way it looks to a beginner!)

message 5: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 45 comments I think you are quite correct, Alan, in saying that plain luck has a part to play.

message 6: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Brule (jrbrule) | 5 comments Now if only we could figure out how to pull that luck from the shadows, and hold it tight . . . hold it up to the light.