Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

General Discussions > Favorite female character in comic books/ graphic novels?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (sandrabbit) Hi everyone. I hope that this questions hasn't been asked before in this this group (bare with me if it has); What is your favorite female character in comic books/graphic novels? And even more importantly; Why? I'm very interested in your thoughts and opinions on female characters.

message 2: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 17 comments Agent 355 in Y the last man. One of my favorite characters of all time due to her humanity. She's one of those well rounded characters that Make an unbelievable story relatable

message 3: by Tiamatty (new)

Tiamatty | 84 comments The women in Kelly Sue DeConnick's books. They're wonderful characters, really human and authentic. But I especially loved Deathface Ginny in Pretty Deadly. She's just really cool, with so much potential.

Penny Rolle in Bitch Planet is getting up there. She's just fantastic. Two issues in, and she's started prison riots in both of them. Anyone who uses "Where'm I s'posed to put my tits?" as a battle cry to start a brawl is automatically awesome. She's impossible not to love.

message 4: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (sandrabbit) Marcus wrote: "Agent 355 in Y the last man. One of my favorite characters of all time due to her humanity. She's one of those well rounded characters that Make an unbelievable story relatable"

You are absolutely right. Strong female characters such as she are often unchanging throughout a story but 355 keeps evolving alongside Yorick. One of my favorites too, definitely.

message 5: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (sandrabbit) Tiamatty wrote: "The women in Kelly Sue DeConnick's books. They're wonderful characters, really human and authentic. But I especially loved Deathface Ginny in Pretty Deadly..."

I have to read those asap! What do you think of her Captain Marvel?

message 6: by Tiamatty (new)

Tiamatty | 84 comments I've loved her Captain Marvel run. It's one of my favourite titles out there.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike | 289 comments Stephanie Brown from Brian Q Miller's Batgirl comics. She's a clever character with a strong, distinct personality who is usually out of her depth but succeeds because she never quits. You can't help but root for her.

If we're considering manga under the broad definition of graphic novel there are a lot of series with great female main characters.

message 8: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 17 comments Kate Spencer (Manhunter ) in DC last monthly with that name was a personal favorite too. I liked the Yost version of X23 a lot too, along with the Stephanie brown batgirl and the latest Elektra /ms marvel/captain marvel books

message 9: by Marcus (new)

Marcus | 17 comments Yeah , I met Marc at SDCC because I had promised to buy 10 copies of any book that killed off the zero hour Manhunter. He was a great guy and always entertains me with his writing.
The following year he tossed me a custom shirt of Kate being ambushed by the shadow thief(#5s cover I think) great book

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed on the latest iteration of Captain Marvel (though I like Monica Rambeau as well). From what little I've seen of Perez's run on Wonder Woman, Wondy was amazing there. Strong yet compassionate--exactly as she should be.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Peters | 7 comments Easy. My own creation, Julia, from my graphic novel, Crescent City Magick :) http://mybook.to/CCM-v1