2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Daisya's 50 Book Challenge

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Plan to read 50 or more books during 2015

message 2: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) I read 13 books in the month of January. This includes 9 graphic novels and 4 novels.

These are the books that I read:

1. Through the Woods (4 out of 5)
2. Maus Volume II (4 out of 5)
3. Saga Volume 1 (5 out of 5)
4. Saga Volume 2 (5 out of 5)
5. Unwind (5 out of 5)
6. Homeroom Diaries (3 out of 5)
7. Beautiful Creatures: The Manga (4 out of 5)
8. Saga Volume 3 (4 out of 5)
9. Anya's Ghost (4 out of 5)
10. V for Vendetta (2.5 out of 5)
11. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (5 out of 5)
12. Saga Volume 4 (4 out of 5)
13. Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned" (1 out of 5)

So it has been a pretty good reading month for me. I think this the first time that I have read that much in an entire month, so 13 books is a great way to start off the year!!!

message 3: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) I am also doing some goodreads challenges and I plan on updating my progress with these posts.

message 4: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) I realize that I did not say what challenges I would be attempting to complete. Sorry, I was a little tired. Anyway the first challenge I plan to complete is the Let's Turn Pages Challenge. I am going to try to read 35,000 pages in the year 2015. Currently I am at 2,927/35,000.

The next challenge I plan to complete is the A-Z challenge. I'm not going to update on that just yet. Same thing with the debut novel challenge, because I haven't read any debut novels and I am waiting for one at my local library while it is currently on hold.

Next challenge is the Complete Works Challenge. I plan to read Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices and Mortal Instruments series. I've read the first two books in the Infernal Devices series and the first book in the Mortal Instruments series, but I kind of want to start over again fresh. I also plan to dive back into the Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Sheppard. I started it before the show came on and I loved it, but never finished. I think I stopped at either book 11 or 12 and there are 16 books, so I want to get on that again.

I am also planning to do the 1st Quarterly Challenge. Here is the list of challenges for that:
1. One, two,
Buckle my shoe;
finish a series

2. Three, four,
Open the door;
read a new genre or author (or both for those who are game)

3.Five, six,
Pick up sticks;
finish a previously unfinished book

4. Seven, eight,
Lay them straight;
read a trilogy or small series (at least 4 books) in order

5. Nine, ten,
A big, fat hen;
read the thickest book on your TBR

6. Eleven, twelve,
Dig and delve;
read an old favourite

7. Thirteen, fourteen,
Maids a-courting;
read a romance novel

8. Fifteen, sixteen,
Maids in the kitchen;
read a book that takes place in a prairie or has food on its cover

9. Seventeen, eighteen,
Maids a-waiting;
read a book you've been waiting to read

10. Nineteen, twenty,
My plate's empty.
read the last book on your tbr list

As of right now these are all of the challenges that I can think of. Tell me what challenges you plan on doing, so we can give each other support.

P.S. Is it just me or did I say the word "challenge" a lot in this post.

message 5: by Adriana (last edited Feb 01, 2015 09:40PM) (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments You had a fnatastic month! If you liked Anya's Ghost you might like Friends With Boys. It has a ghost in it plus some great artwork.

message 6: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) I think I might check it out. Thanks

message 7: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments You're off to a great, Daisya! I'm glad that you're enjoying the different challenges.

I just read Saga, Volume 1 and really liked it! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I'm trying to expand into the world of graphic novels.

message 8: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Random: I think I might start writing reviews of the books I read. What do you guys think?

message 9: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments I like to read reviews. I have added so many books to my "To Read" list because of reviews. I like knowing what people think of books I am interested in.

message 10: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'm with Jodi, I love reading reviews that others write. I started writing short reviews of the books I finish when I joined Goodreads about a year ago, and I enjoy it. It gives me a little time to think about the book I just read and sort through my thoughts about it. I don't worry about whether they're fancy literary critiques... I just write down my impressions after I finish the book.

It's also interesting to see how my opinion of books change over time. Some books "peak" as you're reading them or right after you finish, but others stay with you for a lot longer.

message 11: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Sorry that I have been off for so long. Lots of stuff going on in my personal life and I was sort of in a a reading slump.

Anyways here are the books that I read in February:

1. The Girl From The Well (3 out of 5)
2. Seconds (4 out of 5)
3. Monster, Vol. 2 (The Perfect Edition) (4 out of 5)
4. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever (3 out of 5)
5. The Manhattan Project, Vol. 1 (3 out of 5)

So, not the best reading month for me.

P.S. I will write my first book review of The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan after I am finished. I am currently reading it on my Kindle on audiobook.

message 12: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6314 comments Daisya wrote: "Sorry that I have been off for so long. Lots of stuff going on in my personal life and I was sort of in a a reading slump.

1. The Girl From Th..."

Is the Red Pyramid part of the Percy Jackson series?

message 13: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Megan wrote: "Daisya wrote: "Sorry that I have been off for so long. Lots of stuff going on in my personal life and I was sort of in a a reading slump.

1. T..."

No, it is a separate series dealing with Egyptian gods and goddesses.

message 14: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Megan wrote: "Daisya wrote: "Sorry that I have been off for so long. Lots of stuff going on in my personal life and I was sort of in a a reading slump.

1. T..."

No, it is a separate series dealing with Egyptian gods and goddess.

message 15: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Synopsis: Since their mother's death, Carter and Sadie have become near strangers. While Sadie has lived with her grandparents in London, her brother has traveled the world with their father, the brilliant Egyptologist, Dr. Julius Kane.

One night, Dr. Kane brings the siblings together for a "research experiment" at the British Museum, where he hopes to set things right for his family. Instead, he unleashes the Egyptian god Set, who banishes him to oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives.

Soon, Sadie and Carter discover that the gods of Egypt are waking, and the worst of them--Set has his sights on the Kanes. To stop him, the siblings embark on a dangerous journey across the globe -- a quest that brings them ever closer to the truth about their family, and their links to a secret order that has existed since the time of the pharaohs.

Positives: I really like the aspect of the brother and sister dynamic. I loved how they were bickering every once in a while when telling their story of what happened throughout this book. It is a realistic thing that happens between siblings regardless what age you are. Another thing I really enjoyed was the humor. Now, it has been a long time since I read a Rick Riordan book so seeing the humor in this book kind of brought back some memories for me. I listened to the audiobook version of this, which helped a lot with the humor and imagining the characters.

Negatives: The pacing of the book was a little slow for me personally. I felt like at times that either nothing was really happening or it was just plain boring to me. I feel as though if I had read this book without the audiobook, then I wouldn't have liked it as much or I would have DNF'd. Also, I found Sadie quite annoying throughout the book. She kept making wrong choices by being hardheaded and going against others. If I were to choose between Sadie and Carter to get stuck in a room with, I would choose Carter within an instant. Last thing I had a problem with was that I pretty much guessed somethings that were going to happen that just felt obvious to me. Nothing really surprised with what was happening towards the end of the book.

My rating: 3.5/5 The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1) by Rick Riordan

message 16: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6314 comments Thanks!

message 17: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Synopsis: Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

When I first started reading this book, I was wondering "Why" people loved this book so much, why are people hyping this up too much. I read about the first half of the book on a audiobook and I can say that I am glad that I did. I wouldn't have finished it if I read it myself. I didn't like the Violet and Theodore they annoyed me, but I will say on top of that that I feel Theodore was more interesting than Violet. Some of the side characters I didn't feel were important. I felt like the book could have been a little better if it was just Violet, Theodore, Violet's parents, Theodore's parents, Theo and Violet's counselors'. I wished the author would have put more interactions between the counselors and Theo and Violet. There were some things I felt like could have been talked about early on in the book and through on. Also I had someone I was buddy reading with say something that is completely agreeable that Finch is pretty much a carbon copy of Augustus Waters from the Fault in Our Stars. That bothered me a little bit considering that I at least wanted some of this book to be original and it kind of wasn't. The only difference between this book and The Fault in Our Stars is that All The Bright Places talks about mental illness, suicide and has some aspects of bullying and abuse.

So the first half of the book didn't do it for me, but close to the ending of the book is when I started crying. I cried during the last forty pages. With that being said I still kind of have mixed feeling with the book as a whole, but the last forty pages had me bump it up a star.

My rating: 3/5 All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

message 18: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Synopsis: Who is the real Margo?

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew...

This wasn't my favorite John Green book and to be honest I am kind of thinking about lowering the rating that I gave it.
I didn't really like some of the characters. I thought that Margo was annoying, Quentin was okay but like I said not my favorite, and Ben was annoying as hell. The only person I really liked was Radar and I would have rather have more of him than Ben. I felt like Lacey shouldn't have been relevant in this story. Idk the whole think frustrated me. Basically, I liked Radar( a side character)more than the main characters.

The only thing I liked about the book was the black santa bit. That was the only thing that was fuuny. But, the story just dragged on in my opinion and after a while I just found it completely boring.

As much as it pains me to say I didn't like this book that much and I really hope I like the movie.

My rating: 2.5/5 Paper Towns by John Green

message 19: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments Hey Daisya, could you put what book u are reviewing at the top of the post please? Some of them look good but I don't know what they are. Thanks

message 20: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Books I read in March:

1. The Red Pyramid (3.5 out of 5)
2. All The Bright Places (3 out of 5)
3. Paper Towns (2.5 out of 5)

This was one of the worst reading months I have ever had :(
Hopefully that will change in April, because I am going to start listening to audiobooks.

message 21: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Alison wrote: "Hey Daisya, could you put what book u are reviewing at the top of the post please? Some of them look good but I don't know what they are. Thanks"

I'm not sure how to do that.

message 22: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Synopsis: It’s Tiny Cooper’s turn in the spotlight in this companion novel to New York Times bestseller Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

Jazz hands at the ready! Tiny Cooper (“the world’s largest person who is also really, really gay”) stole readers’ hearts when he was introduced to the world in the New York Times bestselling book Will Grayson, Will Grayson, co-authored by John Green and David Levithan. Now Tiny finally gets to tell his story—from his fabulous birth and childhood to his quest for true love and his infamous parade of ex-boyfriends—the way he always intended: as a musical! Filled with honesty, humor, and “big, lively, belty” musical numbers, the novel is told through the full script of the musical first introduced in Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

I really loved reading about Tiny Cooper again. I really liked this book and the musical numbers that went along with it to the point where I could imagine the entire play inside my head and I don't think I had this much fun imagining a book (or play). There were a heartfelt moments. This story is about Tiny Cooper who is a confident with himself, but trying to figure out what love is and how to obtain that and I really loved that about this book. To summarize this review: Hold Me Closer is a funny, heartfelt, all-the-feels type of book.
My rating: 4.5/5 Hold Me Closer The Tiny Cooper Story by David Levithan

message 23: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Synopsis: Conrad Paulson lives a secret double life as master thief Redmond. There is nothing he can't steal, nothing he can't have... except for the life he left behind. Now with a grown son he hardly knows, and an ex-wife he never stopped loving, Conrad must try to piece together what's left of his life, before the FBI finally catch up to him... but it appears they are the least of his worries.

Collects issues #1 - #7!

I don't really have much to say about this graphic novel, except I really liked the artwork. The artwork immediately made me think of the TV show Archer and I love that show. Another thing I liked was the twist close to the end, it was the best part of the whole thing. Other than that I thought it was an okay read, but I have read better.

My rating: 3/5 Thief of Thieves, Vol. 1 "I Quit" by Robert Kirkman

message 24: by Daisya (last edited Apr 14, 2015 05:51PM) (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Synopsis: Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

I really liked the writing style of the book. I liked how we knew every single detail of what Holden wanted us to know that was going on in his surroundings. Quite frankly, that was the only thing I liked about this book. To keep this review short and to the point: I hated this book. Besides the writing I could not stand it and I just kept thinking to myself, "Why do people like this book?" I don't know if I just read it at the wrong time, but I don't think that I would be picking this book up again.

My rating:1.5/5 The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

message 25: by Daisya (last edited Apr 14, 2015 05:56PM) (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Synopsis: The extraordinary #1 New York Times bestseller that has captivated over 1 million readers and inspired a movement to choose kind.

I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.

August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER, now a #1 New York Times bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.

"Wonder is the best kids' book of the year," said Emily Bazelon, senior editor at Slate.com and author of Sticks and Stones: Defeating the Culture of Bullying and Rediscovering the Power of Character and Empathy. In a world where bullying among young people is an epidemic, this is a refreshing new narrative full of heart and hope. R.J. Palacio has called her debut novel “a meditation on kindness” —indeed, every reader will come away with a greater appreciation for the simple courage of friendship. Auggie is a hero to root for, a diamond in the rough who proves that you can’t blend in when you were born to stand out.

I don't know how I can do this review justice, but I LOVED THIS BOOK. Such a beautifully written book. I laughed and shed a couple of tears. But I am so happy I read this book after reading a really bad book before. I loved how through all of the greatness of this book there is one important thing you can take away from it: BE KIND. And that really is the most important lesson of all.

My rating:5/5 Wonder by R.J. Palacio

message 26: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Synopsis: The students in Class 3-E of Kunugigaoka Junior High have a new teacher: an alien octopus with bizarre powers and unlimited strength, who’s just destroyed the moon and is threatening to destroy the earth—unless they can kill him first!

I really liked this manga. It was different from what I've read in a long time. The only complaint that I have is that it was repeatedly said that they had to kill their teacher, but I can pretty much ignore that.

My rating: 4.5/5 暗殺教室 Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 1 (Assassination Classroom, #1) by Yusei Matsui

message 27: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Synopsis: At first Ig thought the horns were a hallucination, the product of a mind damaged by rage and grief. He had spent the last year in a lonely, private purgatory, following the death of his beloved, Merrin Williams, who was raped and murdered under inexplicable circumstances. A mental breakdown would have been the most natural thing in the world. But there was nothing natural about the horns, which were all too real.

I had some problems with this book. It was very boring at times, the characters were annoying (I guess that was point), and something happens at the end that I did not particularly like.
This was the first Joe Hill book that I read and it wasn't a good start for me to read this book first.

My rating: 2.5/5 Horns by Joe Hill

message 28: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) Synopsis: Forty years earlier, a man committed suicide in a stolen car at this farm at the end of the road. Like a fuse on a firework, his death lit a touchpaper and resonated in unimaginable ways. The darkness was unleashed, something scary and thoroughly incomprehensible to a little boy. And Lettie—magical, comforting, wise beyond her years—promised to protect him, no matter what.

I really liked this book. I think I liked it more because I followed along with the audiobook, read by Neil Gaiman himself, and it is a great first book to start with if you are new to his books.

My rating: 4.5/5 The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman