David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Sara Raasch
This topic is about Sara Raasch
Author Q&A > Sara Raasch Q&A (Author of Snow Like Ashes) Feb 23-26th

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Feb 26, 2015 04:43PM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
From Feb 23-26th, bestselling author Sara Raasch (author of Snow Like Ashes) will be coming to our group to answer questions about her book, her life as an author, and about anything else you all can come up with!! So get ready for the fun and start thinking of some questions to ask her!

What's even cooler is our members voted her book as February BOTM! Definitely check her book out!

Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1) by Sara Raasch

Questions

1. Opal--How did you come up with the idea for your book?

2. Jenny--What is your favorite thing about being a writer?

3. Jen--You've managed to write a really good love triangle here - I'd love to know how you avoided the pitfalls that inevitably go along with that.

4. Ginny--Have You Already Decided Who Meira is Going to Choose?

5. Samantha--If you could be any character in any YA book, who would it be and why?

6. Samantha--If your book was made into a movie who would you cast?

7. Samantha--Who inspired you to be a writer when you was younger?

8. Raquel--What was the journey of being published like for you? (Both literally and emotionally, if that isn't too personal - I totally understand if it is)

9. Raquel--When did you begin to write, and decide "this is what I want to do with my life!"?

10. Raquel--What is your writing routine like? (If you have one)

11. Raquel--What do you like to do in your spare time?

12. Raquel--What is your relationship like with book bloggers?

13. David--Are you a Spelling Bee champion, or is spell check your best friend?

14. Raquel--What is the comment about your book that most warmed your heart?

15. Raquel--What is the most useful critique you have ever gotten about your work?

16. Raquel--What is your favorite genre to read?

17. Raquel--What's your favorite food?

18. Imani-- So is winter your favorite season then? :P
mine is summer~ lol

19. Natalie--What's the weirdest thing you've every had to Google/ask somebody?

20. Natalie--Who do you want to cowrite a book with?

21. Serena--So, if you could change on thing about anything you have ever written, what it be and why?

22. Tommy--What's the worst thing anyone(critic or reader) has said about you or your work?

23. Katherine--Who inspires you the most?

24. Katherine--Are Meira, Theron, and Mather based on you and your friends?

25. Katherine--If Snow Like Ashes (and the rest of the series) had a music playlist, what songs would be in it?

26. Karen--What's your typical day like?

27. Karen--What normally surrounds you when you write?

28. Raquel--If you are almost done with SLA, what's next for you? Do you know yet?

29. Raquel--What are some things you think are necessary for a good MC?

30. Jenny--What's your favorite fall activity?

31. Jenny--Can you give us a recommendation on a favorite book that deserves more hype and love?

32. Cindy--what was the best writing advice someone gave to you?

33. Karen--What's been your absolute favorite fan moment?

34. Karen--Do you have any dogs or cats?

35. Karen--What made you decide to write in this genre?

36. David--Do you like playing games? If so, which ones are your favorites?

message 2: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 240 comments Oh, I'm on the waiting list for this book! I can't wait to read it.

message 3: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Awesome! Me too :) And I can't wait for this Q&A, only a few more days now!

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
I keep trying to get my elibrary to get a copy! ;)

message 5: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Thanks so much for coming to our group this week Sara!

What is your favorite thing about being a writer?

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments Hi Sara! Thanks so much for visiting us -

I loved SLA and the way you created a strong, smart character in Meira. I love the way you've put a woman in that position where although she's been manipulated by men, she's able to use it to her advantage by realising how much power she really has.

You've managed to write a really good love triangle here - I'd love to know how you avoided the pitfalls that inevitably go along with that.
Thanks again!

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 23, 2015 09:27AM) (new)

Hi Sara!

We Have Chatted Several Times Over Pms.

I Just Wanted to Say The Cover of Ice like Fire is Gorgeous. I Love it!

Have You Already Decided Who Meira is Going to Choose?

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 5 comments If you could be any character in any YA book, who would it be and why?

If your book was made into a movie who would you cast?

Who inspired you to be a writer when you was younger?

message 9: by Raquel (new)

Raquel V (raquelvcc) | 35 comments I'm so excited about this Q&A! Thanks for being here!
My questions:
What was the journey of being published like for you? (Both literally and emotionally, if that isn't too personal - I totally understand if it is)
When did you begin to write, and decide "this is what I want to do with my life!"?
What is your writing routine like? (If you have one)
What do you like to do in your spare time?
What is your relationship like with book bloggers?

Thank you! And sorry for the abundance of questions!

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara Raasch (seesarawrite) Hello, all! Thank you so much for letting me invade your Goodreads group :D Such awesome questions already!! Let's just dive right in...

Opal--How did you come up with the idea for your book?

I always feel super lame when I get this Q, because I don't remember! I started writing SLA at such a young age that all my early memories of it are long gone.

Jenny--What is your favorite thing about being a writer?

The fans! Readers are the best -- so enthusiastic and SO supportive!

Jen--You've managed to write a really good love triangle here - I'd love to know how you avoided the pitfalls that inevitably go along with that.

Thank you! I think the main thing is that despite who competes for Meira's attention, her #1 priority is her kingdom, as it should be. Having sexy boys in her life is really just a side perk, and her main focus is always Winter, never Mather or Theron!

Ginny--Have You Already Decided Who Meira is Going to Choose?

Yep! I've finished the first draft of the final book already, and I must say, ya'll are gonna CRY. Or at least I hope you do, because I did!

Samantha--If you could be any character in any YA book, who would it be and why?

Kyra in Bridget Zinn's POISON. That world was so colorful and the characters were vibrant -- I love everything about that book, and I'd have so much fun being the spunky, adventurous Kyra!

If your book was made into a movie who would you cast?

My #1 pick for Meira has to be Ksenia Solo. She has Meira's eyes and can totally embody her feisty personality. I adore her!

Who inspired you to be a writer when you was younger?

Sharon Shinn -- I read her books religiously!

Raquel--What was the journey of being published like for you? (Both literally and emotionally, if that isn't too personal - I totally understand if it is)

Hard, tear-inducing, stressful, eye-opening -- you name it, I've dealt with it. But it's also been exciting, amazing, wondrous, and many other fantastic things. It always finds a way of balancing the awful with the good!

When did you begin to write, and decide "this is what I want to do with my life!"?

I've been writing since I could hold a pencil! Ever since I knew what books were, I've wanted to make one of them.

What is your writing routine like? (If you have one)

I write best in the morning, so I'll write/edit until lunch, then do all of my non-writing stuffs in the afternoon.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I'm currently taking a Krav Maga class (I got tired of Meira being tougher than me!).

What is your relationship like with book bloggers?

I adore them! They've been so supportive and friendly all through SNOW LIKE ASHES' release, and now that ICE LIKE FIRE is coming up, they're being just as wonderful! This is one awesome community we have here :D

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Sara wrote: "Hello, all! Thank you so much for letting me invade your Goodreads group :D Such awesome questions already!! Let's just dive right in...

Opal--How did you come up with the idea for your book?

I ..."

That's Awesome xD

You are An Amazing Author

message 12: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Wow, AMAZING questions and answers so far! Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to hang out with us, Sara :)

My question is a random, just-for-fun one:
Are you a Spelling Bee champion, or is spell check your best friend?

message 13: by Raquel (new)

Raquel V (raquelvcc) | 35 comments Great answers! Thank you!

I have some more questions, if that's all right:

What is the comment about your book that most warmed your heart?
What is the most useful critique you have ever gotten about your work?
What is your favorite genre to read?

And a totally random one:
What's your favorite food?

message 14: by Imani (new)

Imani | 1 comments Hi Sara! Omg by the time u read this I'll be done with this book -CRIES- I love it so much and can't wait for the second one!! (and the cover is gorgeous!)

I don't know what to ask because everyone has already asked some really good ones xD ok here's one I guess:

So is winter your favorite season then? :P
mine is summer~ lol

Natalie (Never trust a duck) OHMYGOSH THIS IS AMAZING. Okay, Imma try and calm down, but wow, I love Snow Like Ashes.
What's the weirdest thing you've every had to Google/ask somebody?
Who do you want to cowrite a book with?

message 16: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 240 comments Hi! I can't wait to read Snow Like Ashes. I've been on the waiting list forever.

So, if you could change on thing about anything you have ever written, what it be and why?

message 17: by Tommy (last edited Feb 23, 2015 09:20PM) (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 954 comments Nothing's universally loved, so I'm always curious about this:

What's the worst thing anyone(critic or reader) has said about you or your work?

message 18: by Katherine (last edited Feb 23, 2015 10:05PM) (new)

Katherine | 9 comments First things first...I absolutely love this book! I am so invested in this series. It is AMAZING! Now to the questions:

Who inspires you the most?

Are Meira, Theron, and Mather based on you and your friends?

If Snow Like Ashes (and the rest of the series) had a music playlist, what songs would be in it?

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara Raasch (seesarawrite) More! Questions!

David--Are you a Spelling Bee champion, or is spell check your best friend?

I'd say I'm half-n-half -- there are some words I can never spell, no matter how many times I use them. "Rhythm" was one until I named the kingdoms in SNOW LIKE ASHES after them!

Raquel--What is the comment about your book that most warmed your heart?

I had a reader say that Meira helped her get through panic attacks. Since Meira helped me as a teen, it was totally awe-inducing!

Raquel--What is the most useful critique you have ever gotten about your work?

My editor had me write an essay detailing the magic system of SNOW LIKE ASHES -- I still refer to it!

Raquel--What is your favorite genre to read?

Fantasy!

Raquel--What's your favorite food?

Anything I'm not allergic to! I can't afford to be picky.

Imani-- So is winter your favorite season then? :P
mine is summer~ lol

Autumn is my favorite season by far -- not too hot and not too cold!

Natalie--What's the weirdest thing you've every had to Google/ask somebody?

Usually weapon-related questions, e.g. how long does it take someone to bleed out from a stab wound, what kind of weapon would cause a certain kind of injury, etc.

Natalie--Who do you want to cowrite a book with?

Any of my writer friends would be amazing!

Serena--So, if you could change on thing about anything you have ever written, what it be and why?

I'd love to change a few things about SNOW LIKE ASHES, but one thing in particular that's kind of a huge spoiler, so I can't say what ;)

Tommy--What's the worst thing anyone(critic or reader) has said about you or your work?

I try not to read negative reviews -- no room for negativity in my life!

Katherine--Who inspires you the most?

Other writers -- camaraderie FTW!

Katherine--Are Meira, Theron, and Mather based on you and your friends?

I don't tend to base characters on people I know. I name characters after people I know -- Theron's mother, Queen Melinda, was named after my sister, and the Langstone River was named after one of my high school friends.

Katherine--If Snow Like Ashes (and the rest of the series) had a music playlist, what songs would be in it?

I actually did a post on SNOW LIKE ASHES' playlist awhile back: http://fiction-freak.com/2014-debut-a.... I'll be doing one for each book in the trilogy! So many songs inspire each book, and I usually put certain songs to particular relationships.

Hi Sara! Thank you so much for joining us!!

What's your typical day like?

What normally surrounds you when you write?

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments Hi Sara - Jen again. I'm the resident audiobook fanatic; almost everything I read is on audio. I just wanted to tell you how fantastic Kate Rudd was in SNA - I hope the publisher is planning on her for the sequel. She really enhanced the story and made it memorable.

For some reason I've been on a Kate Rudd kick lately. Not sure why but I enjoy her so much because she's so good with voicing each character. Somehow I haven't gotten tired of her book-to-book, and that's worth noting. There are a lot of authors that, after awhile, tend to make all the books sound all the same. She's not one of them.

She did your book justice and made it all the better. I just wanted to pass that along.

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara Raasch (seesarawrite) Keep 'em coming, guys -- these are great Qs! Ya'll are fun :D

Karen--What's your typical day like?

I wake up, make breakfast/coffee, write for the morning, break for lunch, then do marketing/non-book stuff after lunch. I'm totally a morning writer.

Karen--What normally surrounds you when you write?

Right now, my office is a MESS. We're in the process of moving so I have a bunch of boxes, a cluttered bookshelf, a bed, and an upturned couch. I long for the day when I'll have an actual office!

Thanks, Sara!

And thanks for sharing that Kate Rudd narrates SNA, Jen! I'm a fan of hers too, so I'll definately listen to the audiobook!!

message 24: by Raquel (new)

Raquel V (raquelvcc) | 35 comments Have some new ones:

If you are almost done with SLA, what's next for you? Do you know yet?

What are some things you think are necessary for a good MC?

Thank you so much for answering all our questions! :) This was truly great!

message 25: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Today is the last day of the Q&A! Get all your questions in :)

Thank you so much, Sara, you have been AWESOME!!

message 26: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I love autumn the best, too, Sara. Just pretty colors, and lovely mostly dry temps (at least where I am!)

What's your favorite fall activity?

Can you give us a recommendation on a favorite book that deserves more hype and love?

message 27: by cindy ♡ (new)

cindy ♡ what was the best writing advice someone gave to you?

What's been your absolute favorite fan moment?

Do you have any dogs or cats?

What made you decide to write in this genre?

message 29: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Ooh last day! This has been awesome! I do have one more question :)

Do you like playing games? If so, which ones are your favorites?

message 30: by Sara (new)

Sara Raasch (seesarawrite) Raquel--If you are almost done with SLA, what's next for you? Do you know yet?

I have a few ideas, but nothing definite yet. *mystery*

Raquel--What are some things you think are necessary for a good MC?

I think it varies from MC to MC -- what's bad for one can be made fantastic in another!

Jenny--What's your favorite fall activity?

Sweaters! Hayrides! Cider! Everything :D

Jenny--Can you give us a recommendation on a favorite book that deserves more hype and love?

POISON by Bridget Zinn. I love everything about this book.

Cindy--what was the best writing advice someone gave to you?

Keep Moving Forward.

Karen--What's been your absolute favorite fan moment?

Whenever anyone says SLA helped them in anyway -- it totally validates everything I've worked for!

Karen--Do you have any dogs or cats?

I have one cat, Ezio. He tends to make appearances in my YouTube videos.

Karen--What made you decide to write in this genre?

Need mixed with delirium.

David--Do you like playing games? If so, which ones are your favorites?

Well, if you couldn't tell by my cat's name...

Assassin's Creed (Brotherhood namely) and Fable 2 & 3 are my favorites!

message 31: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Thanks so much Sara! Awesome last day of the Q&A, we loved having you in the group and wish you all the best :)

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Snow Like Ashes (other topics)