2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

20th Century Ghosts
This topic is about 20th Century Ghosts
. Week 12: Short Stories > 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom | 26 comments I read Horns a few months ago and really liked it, so hopefully these stories will be as good.

Kelsey Solnick | 12 comments I'm reading this one now for this category as well. I'm not too far into it, but so far I am enjoying it.

Kelsey Solnick | 12 comments I just finished reading it a while ago. I rated it four stars, but I was just a little disappointed by it. I thought the concept of the stories were all interesting and unique, but I just wish that they had been a little scarier. However, it is still a fun read and some of the stories are pretty weird.

message 4: by Laura, Mod (last edited Jul 25, 2015 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I just started reading this. I've only finished one of the stories (Best New Horror) and am really impressed so far. He did a really good job of making me feel like I was in the story with the main character which did make it a little scary. The only other book that has scared me was Heart Shaped Box so maybe Joe Hill is just my author for truly scary books.

message 5: by Laura, Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I just finished reading this and also rated it 4 stars.

Overall, the themes were really interesting especially with Pop Art and You Will Hear the Locust Sing. The stories didn't end up being scary so much as unsettling.

I haven't really gotten into reading short stories before. I'm not sure that I ever really gave them the chance, but the challenge has successfully gotten me interested in a new genre. I really liked being able to pick something short when I needed a break from my main read and I was genuinely impressed with Hill's ability to convey so much is such a short time.