Villette Villette discussion

Too much French without translation

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yun (new)

Yun Yi I just finished (second time) Jane Eyre, loved it! So I decided to explore Charlotte Bronte, and found that Villette seemed to be the second popular book she wrote. However, after reading 25%, I haven't found the same passion I found in Jane Eyre, and too much French without translation seems made reading extra difficult.
I wonder why the author didn't put translation after French, or made notes, at least for some French parts that are relatively important?

Nicole D. I have the Barnes and Noble edition and it does translate a lot of the french for you at the bottom of the page. Lucy Snowe is a much different heroine then Jane Eyre. Her conflicting emotions to be seen and then to not be seen are nothing like Jane Eyre. I find Jane a much stronger heroine then Lucy.

message 3: by Yun (new)

Yun Yi Nicole D. wrote: "...I find Jane a much stronger heroine then Lucy. "

That's my impression as well. The passion of Jane Eyre seems to be much more unique and powerful.

I wish I got Barnes and Noble edition (Bantam is what I've got).

Carolina Morales Have you checked out the end of the book for translations? We are so used to get them by the end of the page we often forget there may be notes by the end too. Also, I believe Brönte did it both because she wanted her story to be believable and to display some highborn education.

Carolina Morales Have you checked out the end of the book for translations? We are so used to get them by the end of the page we often forget there may be notes by the end too. Also, I believe Brönte did it both because she wanted her story to be believable and to display some highborn education.

message 6: by Yun (new)

Yun Yi Carrie wrote: "Have you checked out the end of the book for translations? We are so used to get them by the end of the page we often forget there may be notes by the end too. Also, I believe Brönte did it both be..."

There's no ending translation in my version. But I guess it's not the big problem for me, comparing with the boring writing style. I finally gave up reading it after some 300 pages. This book is very different from Jane Eyre, by my opinion.

Carolina Morales If you ask my opinion, I'd say you should keep on reading. My version had 890 pages and the plot started to thicken by the half, so about page 450 or 500. Also, the French references will diminish.

message 8: by Yun (new)

Yun Yi Carrie wrote: "If you ask my opinion, I'd say you should keep on reading. My version had 890 pages and the plot started to thicken by the half, so about page 450 or 500. Also, the French references will diminish."

Actually I liked the beginning a lot. I love Pully and Graham's characters, and eagered to know what's going on with them later. I also liked Lucys' life experience all the way until she buried her secret love. I think too many characters involved, too much routine description just killed my interest. I might try again when my headache is gone. lol

Jyoti Arora I loved this book. Even though it is too sad and left me feeling burdened. But I could feel the power of writing.
And yes, I too felt bad about not being able to understand so many sentences as they were in French

message 10: by Yun (new)

Yun Yi I think I am going to get barnes&noble edition from used bookstore. I now blame myself for not liking this book so much. I love Jane Eyre so much that I am obsessed with Charlotte Bronte's life. Will finish this book nonetheless.

message 11: by Fran (new)

Fran Is there an online version of Villette with links to translate the French phrases.

Rachel Yeah I definitely recommend a different edition that includes translations. And personally it took me quite a bit longer to love Villette than it did Jane Eyre, but Charlotte Bronte really impressed me in the end - I definitely encourage you to give this novel a shot. :)