Stephen King Fans discussion

Recommendations > The Stand or IT?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Luciana (new)

Luciana Damasceno (lucydamasceno) | 77 comments I want to read The Stand or IT this year. I know I won't have the time to read them both this year - they are quite massive, and there are several other titles that I would like to read.

I have watch the TV adaptation of The Stand, and the IT movie, so I have a general idea of the stories and I like them both.

Which one should I pick?

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3969 comments Personally, I prefer The Stand, just make sure you get the uncut version. Maybe shoot for It next year?

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 17 comments The Stand has remained one of my favorite novels. Not to say that I didn't enjoy It. I did. But I'd still pick The Stand first.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) The Stand!

message 5: by David (new)

David Clemons | 8 comments The Stand. No doubt about it. My wife doesn't even read King and it's one of her favorite books. I second what Kandice said, as well. I don't think that will be much of an issue since the original is hard to find now, but you never know. I read the uncut version and I can't imagine taking anything out of it.

message 6: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen | 245 comments Without question The Stand!

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments The Stand, fer shur!

Baby can you dig your man? He's a righteous man!

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3969 comments Matthew wrote: "The Stand, fer shur!

Baby can you dig your man? He's a righteous man!"

Way to go Larry (or Matthew)

message 9: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments The Stand is a better novel....IT is a horror novel with unbelievable characters. IMHO.

message 10: by Vykki (new)

Vykki (wikkimom) | 15 comments The Stand

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Since no one else is saying it. I would choose IT. I love both books but IT is my favourite King book. Really you can't go wrong either way I don't think.

message 12: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 508 comments only read IT a couple of months ago and currently reading the stand so I'll be back when I finish I'm scared to look at the thread I'd be devastated to see a spoiler

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris King | 152 comments It most definitely,quintessential reading for anybody,and then skip one of your other titles for The Stand later in the year.Enjoy whatever you decide.

message 14: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) The Stand.

message 15: by Regina (new)

Regina (queenofslackers) I loved IT, one of my favorites. I'm going to read The Stand this year as I've never read it myself.

message 16: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Wilkins I have yet to read the Stand, but you can't go wrong with It. Lots of great symbolism. My favorite King thus far.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Davis I've always considered The Stand to be one of my favorite books. I read the book back in college and then listened to the audiobook a few years later. I think I would choose The Stand first.

message 18: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments Like the varying opinions....quick question:
has anyone read It first but liked the Stand better or visa versa? Seems like what everyone read first they like best between the two, though I could be wrong.

message 19: by Michael (last edited Jan 28, 2015 07:39PM) (new)

Michael | 4 comments I read the original version of 'The Stand' before I read 'IT', and 'IT' became my all-time favorite King novel. (I was 15 when I first read the book and I thought King captured childhood perfectly.)

I still consider 'The Stand' his second-best work though.

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 57 comments I haven't read The Stand and though I found IT interesting it is easily the most disturbing thing I have ever read.

message 21: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments Michael
I agree with King's capturing the essence of childhood in IT. I just think for my personal tastes that the Stand is a stronger novel with a great narrative and some of King's finest prose. I enjoyed IT, and it's probably in the top 5 of King books for me. To each their own.

message 22: by Malina (new)

Malina | 304 comments The Stand!! My favorite book :)

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 3 comments Malina wrote: "The Stand!! My favorite book :)"

The Stand, also my favorite book

message 24: by Trevor (last edited Jan 28, 2015 10:23PM) (new)

Trevor Johnson (trevorjohnson) The Stand is his best novel. Not convinced you need the uncut version -- it's great as a curio but King can waffle at the best of times...

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan (edgarsden) | 88 comments The Stand ;)

message 26: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 220 comments IT is my favourite King book but I haven't yet read The Stand. Seems to me you can't go wrong with either choice.

message 27: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2101 comments The Stand

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 10 comments The stand, but it is oh so close!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved them both but I liked It better.

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hall | 26 comments The Stand.

message 31: by Malina (last edited Jan 29, 2015 10:39AM) (new)

Malina | 304 comments Jason wrote: "Malina wrote: "The Stand!! My favorite book :)"

The Stand, also my favorite book"

Great minds Jason,great minds.... ;)

message 32: by Luciana (new)

Luciana Damasceno (lucydamasceno) | 77 comments Wow, lots of The Stand fans :) I guess I will go with it then.

Is the uncut version the book with 1472 pages?

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim (powelljf3) | 8 comments I have read both and loved both, if I had to choose I would go with IT, more interesting characters, but you can't go wrong with either, as long as you have the time.

message 34: by Terri (new)

Terri Edwards (teresaluvsbooks) | 149 comments Yes, that is the uncut version. If you can stand it, I'd read that one :) I've read The Stand three times.

message 35: by Terri (new)

Terri Edwards (teresaluvsbooks) | 149 comments LOL, I just realized my previous post might be confusing. What I meant was, if you don't mind the length of the uncut edition of The Stand, I would go with that.

message 36: by Luciana (new)

Luciana Damasceno (lucydamasceno) | 77 comments Teresa wrote: "LOL, I just realized my previous post might be confusing. What I meant was, if you don't mind the length of the uncut edition of The Stand, I would go with that."

laughing here too, Teresa, and thanks :)Yes, I guess I can deal with almost 1500 pages. I just hope I never drop it on my foot by mistake! lol

message 37: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments Interestingly, I read The Stand before the uncut version was available. Even though it is one of my favorite books, I never went back to read the uncut. I am planning to get to that someday!

message 38: by Tom (new)

Tom | 78 comments THe are both totally worth the read. Don't let the size daunt you... They are un-put-down-able!

message 39: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Read them both fairly recently. A real toss up, but just to make a choice: IT. IT is a solid horror novel. The Stand is not.

message 40: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) I recommend The Stand along with the majority, but I'd also have you consider which *type* of novel sounds more interesting.

A post-apocalypse, or one with a dual timeline that alternates back and forth between a group of teens, and those same characters in their 30s or 40s. It's like a coming-of-age mixed with a reunion.

I just remembered that you said you've already seen the screen adaptations, so you already know this. :) But for anyone else considering the same options and hasn't seen them already, this might help.

message 41: by David (new)

David Clemons | 8 comments That's a good point, Edward. The Stand wasn't scary at all to me. It, on the other hand, scared the crap out of me. Depends on what you want, I guess.

message 42: by Richard (new)

Richard Jalbert | 10 comments Wow, tough decision. My two favorite books. When I was reading the Stand anyone that coughed or sneezed within 20 feet freaked me out. To this day my daughter has a fear of clowns which can only be attributed to IT. My vote is "The Stand"

message 43: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (thelongwait) | 293 comments They ARE two very different books....IT, despite its great literary touches and non linear format, is a horror novel. The Stand is more linear in its story telling, but it's plot jumps around between characters and setting often.

message 44: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3969 comments I actually find the premise behind The Stand scarier than that behind It. There are definitely supernatural elements to The Stand, but Captain Tripps seems completely plausible to me.

Clowns in sewers are definitely gimicky scary, but isn't going to happen on my street. :D

message 45: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Wilkins I will admit that I was not personally scared by IT. I know that was the goal and if you're looking for that in a novel, I suppose The Stand would be a better choice. But if you're looking for a truly enrapturing novel that will have you flying through a 1100 page book in just a few days, IT is the choice for me. Wonderful characters, wonderful story. If you didn't like the ending to the mini-series, understand that the ending of the novel is somewhat the same however there's A LOT more to it, and it's much better in the book in my opinion. More depth, more philosophical stuff, and much higher stakes.

message 46: by David (new)

David Clemons | 8 comments It's been a while since I read The Stand, but I don't remember being scared by any part of it. Most horror books don't scare me, actually, so I may not be a good reference for what's scary.

message 47: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) The scary thing about The Stand is that it could happen. Not the Walkin' Dude part, but the outbreak and population reduction. I think Ebola scares me so much because of The Stand.

message 48: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3969 comments Something else you'll find evidence of all over these boards is King's way with children. Because It alternates between the POV of children and their adult selves, it has that special childlike magic he is able to create on the page.

The Stand is adult in every way.

message 49: by Nate (new)

Nate (the_enobee) | 80 comments IT was the first Stephen King book I read, and as a result has classic stature in my personal reading experience. It was years later that I finally hooked up with The Stand, which has ended up being my favorite King novel, and one of my favorite books of all time. As much as I loved the character in IT, the characters in The Stand resonated more for me. Even after reading the uncut edition, I want to keep following the characters, which is pretty amazing after that length of book.

Which is all to say, I would recommend The Stand, but you can't go wrong either way. These are 5 star reads. It may be worth obtaining both books and reading the first page to see which grabs you first...

message 50: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Nate wrote: "IT was the first Stephen King book I read, and as a result has classic stature in my personal reading experience. It was years later that I finally hooked up with The Stand, which has ended up bei..."

Good idea Nat, though I have to say that the opening scenes of The Stand are some of the most gripping ever written. IT doesn't match that opening IMHO.

« previous 1