The 2015 Book Genre Challenge discussion

Individual Reads > February Reads - Mythological Retelling

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments What books are you guys planning to read individually? I am definitely excited to read Deathless by Catherynne M Valente! It looks absolutely gorgeous and is a retelling of the Russian myths of Marya Morevna and Koschei the Deathless!

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (a-novel-thing) I am really looking forward to reading Everneath. After asking around, I think I'm going to read that whether it's voted as our read along or not. One of my fave Greek myths is the one of Persephone and Hades, so this is right up my alley. I am also going to be reading Heir of Fire for another book club's read along (Addicted to Ink) and buddy reading Fairest with a co-worker. *phew*

message 3: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) I'm going to start with The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan for my individual reading, though I know I'm going to regret it when I get to the crossovers (Percy Jackson has been in my to be read list for a long, long time). And thank god someone suggested Deathless, or else I'd have missed on this one, it has such great reviews I can't wait to read it, either if it wins the poll or not.

message 4: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments @Nicole - Wow, you're reading a lot! I hope you enjoy Everneath! I haven't read it yet either, but I love Persephone and Hades too! (Plus Heir of Fire is AMAZING!)

@Soledad - I absolutely ADORE Percy Jackson. It's cute and funny. I'm not so much a fan of the Kane Chronicles, but they're good too! Enjoy! And I'm so glad to hear you discovered Deathless! I can't wait to start!

@Sophie - I completely understand haha! There's never enough time to read as much as you want, but I hope you enjoy whichever one wins!

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (a-novel-thing) @Renuka - I really hope Heir of Fire is great. My coworker is reading it now and says its really hard to get into. We both LOVED the first two. She said there's a lot of information in the beginning but not a lot of doing, so it feels slow. ... And, yeah, I tend to read a lot of books at once because it depends on my mood for the day/evening. I read 5 this month (I'm 40 pages away from finishing Dreams of Gods and Monsters). I'm pretty proud of that number, but I'm exhausted from it as well. Thought I'd take it easy for February. lol. :)

message 6: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Renuka wrote: "What books are you guys planning to read individually? I am definitely excited to read Deathless by Catherynne M Valente! It looks absolutely gorgeous and is a retelling of the Russi..."

I'm joining Renuka with Deathless, I'm completely thrilled to read this, I just came in the mail yesterday! Also I want to read The Chaos of the Stars by Kiersten White.

message 7: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Nicole wrote: "I am really looking forward to reading Everneath. After asking around, I think I'm going to read that whether it's voted as our read along or not. One of my fave Greek myths is the one of Persephon..."

I really want to read Everneath, it's really hard to find good Persephone/Hades adaptations and I have high hopes for this one!

message 8: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Soledad wrote: "I'm going to start with The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan for my individual reading, though I know I'm going to regret it when I get to the crossovers (Percy Jackson has been in m..."

YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE SO MUCH FUN WITH THIS TRILOGY! I read it last year and I actually laughed so hard while reading it on the bus a cute guy asked me about it ;)

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (liveandlauren) | 9 comments So far I haven't found anything that fits this requirement that really interests me besides Ink, so I'll probably just read that this month. (I mean, I'll read several other books, but they won't be a mythological retelling.)

message 10: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) Silvia wrote: "YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE SO MUCH FUN WITH THIS TRILOGY! I read it last year and I actually laughed so hard while reading it on the bus a cute guy asked me about it ;) "

LMAO! Hope something similar happens to me then ;)
I usually make expressions while reading, but so far, no one's ever asked me about it, hehehe.
I did find myself laughing aloud while reading the Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. That Apollo really struck a chord in me every single time.

message 11: by Vanja (new)

Vanja I will read The Gospel of Loki, which I got in the mail today!

message 12: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments @Nicole - OH NICE congrats! I'm proud too :) Yes, the first two Throne of Glass books were AMAZING. Heir of Fire was more character developmental but WOW so good haha. Have you read the novellas?

@Sophie - Also amazing! Nice job you <3 Oh I need to read The Mime Order soon. I just finished the Bone Season last month haha. Also, I've heard really good things about Mistborn....hmm.

@Lauren - Ink sounds amazing! I hope you enjoy it! Let us know ;)

@Vanja - Ooooh a lot of people recommended for The Gospel of Loki! It seems like a really good read! Plus, Loki! Let us know if you enjoy it! (PS. Getting books in the mail is seriously so much fun haha)

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (a-novel-thing) @Renuka - No, I haven't. I'm going to read it after Heir of Fire, but probably in March. Unless I really get the urge to read them right after. I'll see how it goes with the other books.

message 14: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin I think I'll read The Just City by Jo Walton or The Gospel of Loki - I can't choose!

message 15: by Dallas (new)

Dallas (dallieb) | 14 comments I'm probably going to read Antigoddess as my individual read. I've heard it's pretty good. :)

message 16: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Dallas wrote: "I'm probably going to read Antigoddess as my individual read. I've heard it's pretty good. :)"

Kendare Blake is an amazing author! I loved Anna Dressed in Blood! I haven't read Antigoddess yet either, so tell us how it is!!

message 17: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments M wrote: "It'll be nice to re read the Gospel of Loki :)"

Oh nice! That was the runner-up in the poll! It must be really good!!

message 18: by Alison (new)

Alison Weston (lantis) | 7 comments Since I already had the Gospel of Loki I started reading it.. and so far I'm loving it! I adore Loki's perspective, he definitely makes me laugh. :)

message 19: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Alison wrote: "Since I already had the Gospel of Loki I started reading it.. and so far I'm loving it! I adore Loki's perspective, he definitely makes me laugh. :)"

That's great! I might read that someday. At the moment I'm reading Deathless (with Sylvia) and I'm about 20% through. I absolutely love it! I don't understand all of it yet, especially since there are many Russian words and folk-tales, but the writing is amazing and I love the characters!

message 20: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) Renuka wrote: "That's great! I might read that someday. At the moment I'm reading Deathless (with Sylvia) and I'm about 20% through. I absolutely love it! I don't understand all of it yet, especially since there are many Russian words and folk-tales, but the writing is amazing and I love the characters! "

I'm reading Deathless as well; 10% into it now. It's a bit complicated to understand if you don't have a deep knowledge of Russian history, and add to that the poetic way with which is written (turns the difficulty a bit more when English is not your native language), but I'm enjoying it so far :)

message 21: by Cat (new)

Cat (onthebookshelf) I just finished reading Deathless! I found it quite slow at first (I started it last December and only just finished it lol) and it was really confusing. But I liked it! :)

message 22: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments I just reached the halfway point and I'm freaking out! I agree the first half has been slow, but I can feel the tension building! The writing is stunning!

message 23: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments I'm on Part 2, I love it, it's amazing, the writing the setting the characters the description, it's like poetry or a fairytale. But I do agree it's slow and complicated, you have to be very focused on every single detail. I do love it though.

message 24: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Silvia wrote: "I'm on Part 2, I love it, it's amazing, the writing the setting the characters the description, it's like poetry or a fairytale. But I do agree it's slow and complicated, you have to be very focuse..."

I needed to look up so many of the Russian words - Domovie, Leshy, etc. but I'm really getting into it now. What do you think of Koschei? Ivan? Of course, I freaking love Marya ;)

message 25: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Renuka wrote: "Silvia wrote: "I'm on Part 2, I love it, it's amazing, the writing the setting the characters the description, it's like poetry or a fairytale. But I do agree it's slow and complicated, you have to..."

I love Koschei, he gives me chills, he's like black hole, he sucked me right in. I love love love Marya, honestly she's everything I ever wanted in a female character!

message 26: by Sole (last edited Feb 07, 2015 07:10PM) (new)

Sole (fluorita) Silvia wrote: "I love Koschei, he gives me chills, he's like black hole, he sucked me right in. I love love love Marya, honestly she's everything I ever wanted in a female character!"

Marya is great, she's complex, not at all perfect like most female characters are portrayed these days, and I agree, you couldn't ask for a better lead than her. I wish Koschei would show up more, I'm on part 2 as well yet I can't seem to get an overall idea of him (I like him though, he seems to be influencing my dreams this past few days lol). Can't say much of Ivan yet.

message 27: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 75 comments And it's at this point I'm reminded I own both Deathless & The Gospel of Loki *bumps them up the tbr list*

At the moment I've just started Foxglove Summer (yay, more Peter Grant!).

message 28: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Soledad wrote: "Silvia wrote: "I love Koschei, he gives me chills, he's like black hole, he sucked me right in. I love love love Marya, honestly she's everything I ever wanted in a female character!"

Marya is gre..."

I love how Marya is not quite what Koschei wanted her to be! Hahaha what have you been dreaming lately?!

message 29: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) Silvia wrote: "I love how Marya is not quite what Koschei wanted her to be! Hahaha what have you been dreaming lately?!"

I don't remember much of my dreams, but one of this week was about me meeting a black haired man and he coming to save me not so long after. There was another one about magic as well.
I'm guessing it's because I usually read a chapter or two before going to sleep ;)

message 30: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Hahaha that is so funny! I never remember my dreams, but I'm sure they must be getting stranger due to this book. I love Koschei too! The characterization of him as a black hole is perfect Sylvia!! He's enigmatic, but brutal, and completely consumed by his love for Marya. She loves him too, but I love how she refuses to be ruled. I'm scared to see where this is headed!

message 31: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (last edited Feb 08, 2015 07:32PM) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Frogli wrote: "And it's at this point I'm reminded I own both Deathless & The Gospel of Loki *bumps them up the tbr list*

At the moment I've just started Foxglove Summer (yay, more Peter Grant!)."

YAAAS read Deathless!!!! I'm really enjoying it! I need to read The Gospel of Loki too!! (Is Foxglove summer a retelling? Enjoy it either way!!)

message 32: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Renuka wrote: "Hahaha that is so funny! I never remember my dreams, but I'm sure they must be getting stranger due to this book. I love Koschei too! The characterization of him as a black hole is perfect Sylvia!!..."

I knew you would love him since you love the Darkling. I'm so excited to see what is going to happen between them, I can already feel her getting ready to kick ass, I can't wait!

message 33: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 75 comments @Renuka no Foxglove Summer is... urban fantasy I guess. Latest in Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. They're good fun :)

I'm doing the popsugar challenge as well so reading all over the shop, although I'm not terribly organised about it, more a case of what looks interesting from my tbr pile/list & then find a category to shove it under lol.

I think Loki might be next, after I finish the Girl With All The Gifts...

message 34: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Silvia wrote: "Renuka wrote: "Hahaha that is so funny! I never remember my dreams, but I'm sure they must be getting stranger due to this book. I love Koschei too! The characterization of him as a black hole is ..."

Hahaha you do know me. I love my characters dark, broody, and morally gray. Or evil. They just fascinate me.

message 35: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Frogli wrote: "@Renuka no Foxglove Summer is... urban fantasy I guess. Latest in Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. They're good fun :)

I'm doing the popsugar challenge as well so reading all over the s..."

Ahhhh I see! I should do the popsugar challenge too haha. I do love challenges, but I'm always too lazy for many lol

message 36: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) Finished reading Deathless. All I can say is wow. Good thing I was past chapter 23 before my bedtime, else that would have turn my dreams into nightmares :(

message 37: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Soledad wrote: "Finished reading Deathless. All I can say is wow. Good thing I was past chapter 23 before my bedtime, else that would have turn my dreams into nightmares :("

DAMN SOLEDAD! You're fast! I haven't read much since! Did you like it??? Were you satisfied with how it ended?

message 38: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) Silvia wrote: "DAMN SOLEDAD! You're fast! I haven't read much since! Did you like it??? Were you satisfied with how it ended?"

I liked it very much, and towards the end you get a bit more interaction between Marya and Koschei, which was what I'd been waiting really. However, it leaves you with a bitter aftertaste that screams for a sequel (and I hope it gets it!).
BTW, read this week that Catherynne Valente sold the rights of Deathless for a movie option. So there's a small chance it'll be adapted for the big screen.

message 39: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Soledad wrote: "Silvia wrote: "DAMN SOLEDAD! You're fast! I haven't read much since! Did you like it??? Were you satisfied with how it ended?"

I liked it very much, and towards the end you get a bit more interact..."

WOW YAY. Hopefully! I can't wait. I would love a movie if it was really well done. I'm moving through at a good pace, but I don't want to rush it haha.

I know we're talking about Deathless, but what did everyone else read?? I'd love to hear!! I want to know which mythological retelling to read next :)

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) Now that I've finished the book I'd been working on, I am starting up Antigoddess (Goddess War, #1) by Kendare Blake next (and will possibly pick up a few other Mythological retellings before the end of the month, hopefully)!

message 41: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Now that I've finished the book I'd been working on, I am starting up Antigoddess (Goddess War, #1) by Kendare Blake next (and will possibly pick up a few other Mythological retellings before the end of the mont..."

Nice!! Kendare Blake!! She's so exciting!! :D

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) Renuka wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Now that I've finished the book I'd been working on, I am starting up Antigoddess (Goddess War, #1) by Kendare Blake next (and will possibly pick up a few other Mythological retellings before t..."

Oh awesome--this will be my first book by her, and I'm excited about it!

message 43: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley I'm (finally!) reading The Blood of Olympus for this.

I hope everyone enjoys their picks!

message 44: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Kimberley wrote: "I'm (finally!) reading The Blood of Olympus for this.

I hope everyone enjoys their picks!"

YAY! I loved Percy Jackson so much, and The Blood of Olympus series was fun as a spinoff. I felt like the conclusion wasn't fantastic, but I hope you enjoy it!! <3

message 45: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments I just finished The Scorpio Races, another mythological retelling, and I'm so emotionally drained but so amazed at the beauty and magic of the story. It was so incredible and lovely and gruesome.

message 46: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (last edited Feb 13, 2015 06:20PM) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments I HAD NO IDEA IT WAS A RETELLING?? I freaking LOVE that book!!!! What is it a retelling of? What area of the world does the myth of the capaill uisce come from?

Edit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_horse (found it wow this is so cool!)

BUT OH GOSH, that's the book that made me fall in love with Maggie Stiefvater!! I don't like Shiver, but I love that book and The Raven Boys. It's glorious.

message 47: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments My edition has a whole explanation of why Maggie wanted to adapt this particular myth. I'm so in love with The Scorpio Races, Renuka. I can't take it. I think when I read The Raven Cycle (once The Raven King comes out) I'm going to die. She's so amazing.

message 48: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Silvia wrote: "My edition has a whole explanation of why Maggie wanted to adapt this particular myth. I'm so in love with The Scorpio Races, Renuka. I can't take it. I think when I read The Raven Cycle (once The ..."

She's FABULOUS. She's hilarious too. The Raven King is going to be glorious. Apparently she FINALLY wrote the kiss we've been dying for. But it's going to be so painful AGHHHHHHH

message 49: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Renuka wrote: "Silvia wrote: "My edition has a whole explanation of why Maggie wanted to adapt this particular myth. I'm so in love with The Scorpio Races, Renuka. I can't take it. I think when I read The Raven C..."

I've seen her posts and I'm scared for that one character that is going to die, I haven't even read that series and I already feel scared for the pain.

message 50: by Dallas (new)

Dallas (dallieb) | 14 comments Alright so I finished my individual read, Antigoddess, yesterday.
And let me just say... it was a terrible idea to read The Song of Achilles first. Haha.
They kept talking about characters that were in TSOA and I kept getting sad all over again. Like they kept saying Achilles was a madman and crazy and I was like, "Noooooooo!"
What I thought was really funny though was that both authors had the same personality for Odysseus.
Apollo was also in Antigoddess and I took an instant dislike to him because of TSOA (He grew on me after a while though). :'D
But enough of comparing! Was Antigoddess good? Yeeeesss? Maybe? I liked it well enough, though I wasn't super fond of the main character, Cassandra, at first but I liked her more towards the end. Otherwise the story and characterization is an interesting take on Greek mythology and it's figures and I definitely wanna see what happens next.
(This was a terrible review, I apologize. :'D)

« previous 1