Stephen King Fans discussion

Recommendations > Possible next King book

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 17 comments Okay, I'm working my way through King's books, in no particular order. Dead Zone was the first one I read, way back when it first came out. I've also read The Stand, Firestarter, The Shining, Dr. Sleep, It, Insomnia, Under the Dome, 11/22/63, and all of the Dark Tower series.

So any suggestions on what's next? I feel like I've kind of been spoiled for Salem's Lot so I'm not really interested in that. I keep hearing recommendations for The Talisman. It's that good? And for now I'd prefer books that haven't been made into movies.

Some I'm perusing:
Duma Key
Mr. Mercedes
Tommyknockers
Revival

So far I've enjoyed every one that I've read. Help!

message 2: by Becky (last edited Jan 28, 2015 10:35AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Of those four you listed, I'd say Duma Key. It was definitely one of my favorites of his post-2000s work. I loved it. (And Lisey's Story.)

The Talisman is great as well - I don't think you'd go wrong reading that one soon either. I love that one too. :)

The Tommyknockers has been adapted into a (not-very-good) movie, so if you're trying to go for not-yet-adapted, you can cross that one off. Or just not watch the movie, which I'd recommend anyway. LOL

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 17 comments Lol, yeah I never saw Tommyknockers, so I didn't mind including that one. I believe I actually read Carrie, but it was so long ago I'm not certain, lol.

message 4: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1104 comments Mod
With this title, your topic is going to get every King fan on the site peeking in. LOL. You already have 110 views in just 23 minutes.

That said, Talisman and Duma Key are both wonderful suggestions.

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments Duma Key! One of his very best, and like Chris and Becky already said, you could never, ever go wrong with The Talisman.

message 6: by E. (new)

E. | 242 comments Movies or not, the book is always better. Pet Semetary, Misery, et al. It's not just the story but King's writing, dialogue, character development. From his brain to the page it (usually) ends up special. I am not always impressed with the ending (revival?) but the journey is always a good one.
My fave to date is 11/22/63, but heck, read 'em all, because everything's eventual.

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 17 comments Oh I know--I did read the Shining, which even though I love the Kubrick version was still better than the movie. I just want to explore the stories I know nothing about before going back to the ones I saw in film.

message 8: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Anthony | 16 comments E. wrote: "Movies or not, the book is always better. Pet Semetary, Misery, et al. It's not just the story but King's writing, dialogue, character development. From his brain to the page it (usually) ends up s..."

I agree completely with everything you said. Whew. Don't say that often (I'm married).

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul | 17 comments I would have to agree that Duma Key is the way to go. That being said though I just finished "Revival" and was thoroughly impressed with it. Honestly...there is no wrong answer.

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments Judy wrote: "Okay, I'm working my way through King's books, in no particular order. Dead Zone was the first one I read, way back when it first came out. I've also read The Stand, Firestarter, The Shining, Dr. S..."

Duma Key by far. Cujo, by the way, builds a little on The Dead Zone.

message 11: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) I'd recommend either The Talisman or Mr. Mercedes. The latter was very cool to me because I wasn't really expecting a detective crime novel. (I don't read description because they always contain spoilers.) It was so good, I read it in a day. I was sick, and I had nothing else to do but lie in bed, but still. :)

message 12: by Malina (new)

Malina | 304 comments Duma Key!
Mr.Mercedes is also great, but more of a crime/ thriller, not classic King

message 13: by Donald (new)

Donald Scott (writeondon) Nice topic, but you really should have given it a different title, as opposed to people coming here and thinking you have word on King's next book ...

message 14: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) Donald wrote: "Nice topic, but you really should have given it a different title, as opposed to people coming here and thinking you have word on King's next book ..."

That's what drew me.

message 15: by Trent (new)

Trent (stephenkingaddiction) | 152 comments for some reason when Duma key first came out i tried reading it got about half way through just couldn't finish only other book of his I couldn't finish was from a Buick 8 maybe I'll go back and try Duma key soon

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2154 comments I would say it's a toss up between Duma Key and Tommyknockers.

message 17: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 16 comments I really enjoyed Duma Key, Tommyknockers however, I only got 100 pages into it before I stopped. That was 20 years ago when I was a teenager, maybe I'll try it again. I'm currently reading Lisey's Story, I had some difficulty in the beginning, but I stuck with it and I am almost done and it has picked up a lot.

message 18: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments I think that DUMA KEY would be a GREAT group read and.... I also loved LISEY'S STORY, a lot ! For reasons that I don't completely understand, maybe because it's part love story, it seems to give bad vibes; maybe some are irritated by the "invented" words that Lisey/Scott use in their family language which didn't bother me in the least. TOMMYKNOCKERS is my very least favorite King novel, and I won't be reading that again, ever.

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments I know I am in the minority, but I really enjoyed Tommyknockers. I like books where he shows us an entire town, like that one and Needful Things. Storm of the Century is another, and even Under the Dome to an extent. I like how his scope can be huge and yet he is still always able to create characters with enough detail and personality to make me care.

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments Kandice wrote: "I know I am in the minority, but I really enjoyed Tommyknockers. I like books where he shows us an entire town, like that one and Needful Things. Storm of the Century is another, and even Under the..."

I liked Tommyknockers a lot too, in fact I read it twice in succession... one of the very few books I've ever done that with.

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments I found the whole "battery" thing fascinating. I even enjoyed the mini-series to an extent. It wasn't Emmy worthy or anything, but Jimmy Smitts and Marg Helgenberger are actors I really like.

message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments Kandice wrote: "I found the whole "battery" thing fascinating. I even enjoyed the mini-series to an extent. It wasn't Emmy worthy or anything, but Jimmy Smitts and Marg Helgenberger are actors I really like."

Missed the mini-series, but then I've been disappointed by them so many times that I usually steer clear.

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4050 comments I always say the same thing, the adaptations of his books that have supernatural elements tend to come across as cheezy because our imaginations (mine at least!) can "see" that stuff in our head so much better than anyone can show us on screen.

message 24: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments Kandice wrote: "I always say the same thing, the adaptations of his books that have supernatural elements tend to come across as cheezy because our imaginations (mine at least!) can "see" that stuff in our head so..."

Exactly :-)