Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

14 Novels About Muslim Life That Shouldn’t Be Missed

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2880 comments Mod
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ahmedaliakbar...

Interesting list.
I have read 5 of the books on this list.
I know most list are subjective and based on the author of the list. Since I enjoyed those on this list that I have read - I will add a few from this list.

message 2: by Ming (new)

Ming | 154 comments thanks for sharing, Beverly. Jarrar's book is great--funny, out-of-the-box and in-your-face refreshing. Anam is excellent--can't wait for the third book in the trilogy.

I also appreciated the comments to the original piece as they list more books. The one about Nadeem Aslam is right on! He's amazing!!!

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2880 comments Mod
Ming wrote: "thanks for sharing, Beverly. Jarrar's book is great--funny, out-of-the-box and in-your-face refreshing. Anam is excellent--can't wait for the third book in the trilogy.

I also appreciated the c..."

Yes, I also have enjoyed all of Aslam's books.
I need to go back and look at some of the comments.

message 4: by George (new)

George | 759 comments thanks for the list! I'm afraid I can only claim to have read 2.

message 5: by Ardene (new)

Ardene (booksnpeaches) | 56 comments Interesting list. I have read 5-6 of them, and heard of several that I haven't read. I agree with Ming, Jarrar's book is funny, and I am also eagerly awaiting Anam's 3rd book.

Nadeem Aslan made my to read list this year because he was nominated for the DSC Asian prize, and MENA is reading books from his area of the world later this year.

message 6: by Ming (new)

Ming | 154 comments and any book by Sorayya Khan. she's got a new book coming out soon. such beautiful writing! https://sorayyakhan.wordpress.com/nov...

message 7: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 338 comments Thanks so much for posting a link to this list. I loved The Reluctant Fundamentalist so I think I'll try Moth Smoke first. I'm happy to see the range of authors and countries represented on the list and also a nice mix of translated and English-first books to choose from.

message 8: by Sami (new)

Sami | 1 comments Fantastic! I didn't know these books existed, I looked in the comments and found that Love in a Headscarf and Does My Head Look Big In This? were also mentioned, which I'd heard of. Looks like my TBR list is growing quite a bit today

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia Thomas-Singh | 3 comments Thanks for this list. I have added Jarrar's book. And Taqwacores -- the film was great! I would recommend Touch by Adania Shibli and The Attack by Yasmina Khadra. Both about Palestine. Also a book I'm recommending a lot lately, Thinner Than Skin by Uzma Aslam Khan, set in the mountains of Pakistan. It was nominated for the DSC prize last year, and the Man Asian Literary Prize.

message 10: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 6 comments I've just read Insh'Allah by Alys Einion =which was rather good.