What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Wind Blows Free
This topic is about The Wind Blows Free
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Early 1940-50s Pioneer tale for Children, with Buffalo Chips and nasty pies, Not Little House series [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (deathbyproxxy) This book was read by my MiL when she was a little girl. this is what she remembers....
The main character was a little girl around the age of 11. IT starts after the family has already established their home in the west. What she remembers is the book was about the day to day life. Dealing with chores, and being so far away from their neighbors and the towns. The big detail she knows is one trip into town the family actually meets their neighbors, who live miles away from their home. They set up a date weeks in advance to have dinner together. The whole family is very excited about it. During the get together, the mother of the neighbor children ask all the children to go gather Buffalo chips "poop" for the fire. The little girl watches as the mothers pats out the patties and then without washing her hands makes everyone little pies for dessert. After dinner she had to sneak her pie, hide it because she couldnt eat it.
The cover of the book had the little girl standing in a "wheat-like" field, her hair and dress are blowing in the breeze. She believes that the books were published in the late 40s or early 50s. However she is sure that it wasnt part of the little house series.
Thank you all!

message 2: by SparksofEmber (last edited Jan 28, 2015 03:36PM) (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Hmm, I haven't read it in years but maybe Caddie Woodlawn?

Or maybe check these listopias:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37760 comments Mod
I don't know, but possibly something by Lois Lenski?

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (deathbyproxxy) All of these sound like possibilities I will have to do some research on them and show my Mom.

message 6: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments It's not Caddie Woodlawn. I have read that book many times and none of it matches. I was thinking Lois Lenski too, but I couldn't find a specific title that matches. I'm almost sure I read this book a long time ago. I will keep looking. Now I'm curious! :-)

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (deathbyproxxy) Thank you Adele! Your right I checked with her and it wasn't Caddie Woodlawn, and I didn't see anything that looked like it could be it one Rhodes reading lists.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37760 comments Mod
Lenski has a book called Prairie School but the description seems to indicate it's about a big blizzard rather than daily life.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (deathbyproxxy) I looked through the lenski list, some seemed promising. I will have to go through it with my mom, because a lot of the books don't have a detailed description.

message 10: by Teri-K (last edited Feb 02, 2015 08:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri-K | 301 comments I think it's one of the Texas Panhandle books by Loula Grace Erdman. One of them, perhaps The Wind Blows Free, has this exact scene in it. They've been released with different covers so she may not recognize the covers on GR.

The family moves with their three girls and two boys from East Texas to the panhandle, and each book centers around one of the girls. They all have a bit of romance, as each girl grows up and meets her future husband.

I loved them as a girl - I hope they're what she's looking for!

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (deathbyproxxy) Yay! I think this might be it! I will have to find it and read it to be certain! But this is very hopeful!

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Be sure to let us know once you've checked it out!

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily (deathbyproxxy) Thank you! I finally was able to find one for under $100. Its being shipped now I camt wait to get it and read it to see if its the right one.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily (deathbyproxxy) Yay!!! The book came today and it is the book!!! Thank you so much.... SOLVED.

Teri-K | 301 comments Emily wrote: "Yay!!! The book came today and it is the book!!! Thank you so much.... SOLVED."

So glad you found it. Don't forget that it's a trilogy and the other two books might make great gifts for her. :)

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily (deathbyproxxy) Thank you thats a great idea!