Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Issues with Quotes > Quotes from my book

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mona (new)

Mona Hanna | 96 comments Hi

Someone added some quotes from my book The Nature of God to Goodreads.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quot...

Each quote is an entire devotion from the book, i.e. a short essay in one long paragraph. The essays in the book have several paragraphs. Also words that are italicized in the book aren't italicized in the quotes.

I'm not sure what can be done about this. The only thing I really want is for the italicized words to be correct, and I can list them here if you like. Making the quotes several paragraphs instead of one big one would be a pain for you guys - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to fix it, or if it even needs to be fixed.

Any advice on this would be great.

Thanks, Mona

message 2: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Quotes aren't my forte, but since no one has responded yet, I'll take a shot. No one has 'liked' any of these quotes yet, so it is easy enough for a librarian to just remove them. Alternatively, you can just cut and paste here to this thread how you would like each quote to appear (line breaks and italics included), and we can take care of it. It's not that much work, really.

message 3: by Banjomike (last edited Jan 28, 2015 01:51PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments I've edited them (from the Amazon 'look inside') and added the booklink. There wasn't much in the way of adding italics but see what you think.

This one might need a few extra paragraphs inserting.
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/6445...

message 4: by Mona (new)

Mona Hanna | 96 comments Thanks so much for editing the quotes :) I checked them and the only one that needs correcting is the one you linked to. It just needs extra paragraphs - there's no italics.

Here's how it should be:

Once, a Christian friend of mine said something to me about faith. She said the promises God has made to us are always true, no matter how we’re feeling. Unfortunately, this is something I find hard to remember.

God has said a great many things to me over the years since I became a Christian. He’s said my life is his now. He’s said he would take care of my entire Christian journey — he would do everything. He’s said that, even though he desperately didn’t want to go through with the crucifixion, he did it because he loves me so very, very much. And God has said he’s proud of me — not because I do everything right, or achieve great things, but because I try hard and I mean well.

And yet so often I feel sad and alone, and forget everything I’ve been told. I’ve struggled with depression since I was 17, and so frequently I have to deal with negative thinking and insecurity. I can feel that I’m completely on my own, and that my life has no direction or purpose.

But everything God has ever said to me is still true. I am not alone. God does love me. Jesus himself is guiding my Christian journey, and will never leave me, or look away.

Even if I’m lost and understand little else, I can hold onto God’s promises. Where I stand with God is not based on how I feel. I can’t assume that God loves me less, or is protecting me less, if I feel awful or am going through a difficult situation. And, most importantly, God doesn’t keep his promises to me based on how “good” a Christian I am, but because Jesus died for my sins, and paid for everything I do wrong.

So I need to hold onto the beautiful things God has said to me. He will never let me down. I need to have faith.

Thanks again :)

message 5: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Mona wrote: "Thanks so much for editing the quotes :) I checked them and the only one that needs correcting is the one you linked to. It just needs extra paragraphs - there's no italics.

Here's how it should b..."

Done.

message 6: by Mona (new)

Mona Hanna | 96 comments The person has posted several more quotes from this book. I assume it's the same person. I feel like it's a few too many quotes from the same book - they've posted a fifth of the book in quotes. Anyway I can post the quotes here with the paragraphs and italics done properly so they can be fixed. I'm just a little worried the person will keep posting quotes. Sorry for the little rant.

Unless you guys think some of the quotes should be deleted, I'll come back to this thread and post the corrections to be made.

message 7: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Mona wrote: "The person has posted several more quotes from this book. I assume it's the same person. I feel like it's a few too many quotes from the same book - they've posted a fifth of the book in quotes. Anyway I can post the quotes here with the paragraphs and italics done properly so they can be fixed. I'm just a little worried the person will keep posting quotes. Sorry for the little rant.

Unless you guys think some of the quotes should be deleted, I'll come back to this thread and post the corrections to be made.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quot..."

It is the same person and I would agree that posting what amounts to 10 complete chapters from any work which only has 50 such chapters is excessive.

I'll remove the new ones and message the person about it. I'm fairly sure there has been a discussion on this topic but I cannot find it at the moment.

message 8: by Mona (new)

Mona Hanna | 96 comments Thanks so much for your help. I'm sure the person means well but it was just too many quotes.

message 9: by Mona (new)

Mona Hanna | 96 comments The person has added another quote. I assume it's the same person. Please delete the new quote. I noticed a couple of times quotes were added then deleted. Thank you to whoever deleted them. I'm not sure how to stop new quotes from this book being added. Quotes which are a couple of lines would be fine, but entire devotions over and over is too much.

message 10: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Mona wrote: "The person has added another quote. I assume it's the same person. Please delete the new quote. I noticed a couple of times quotes were added then deleted. Thank you to whoever deleted them. I'm not sure how to stop new quotes from this book being added. Quotes which are a couple of lines would be fine, but entire devotions over and over is too much. "

I've removed this latest one.

message 11: by Mona (new)

Mona Hanna | 96 comments Thanks :)

message 13: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments I referred this to support since the adder is ignoring messages.

message 14: by Mona (new)

Mona Hanna | 96 comments Thank you.

message 15: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments I see she is at it again. Support sorted her out last time so I'll reflag her since she is still ignoring messages.

message 16: by Mona (new)

Mona Hanna | 96 comments Thanks. I hadn't checked in a little while and there's more there than last time. Hopefully the support people can stop this.

message 17: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Mona wrote: "Thanks. I hadn't checked in a little while and there's more there than last time. Hopefully the support people can stop this."

Support did stop it. It dropped to a single quote but she is adding more.

message 18: by Mona (new)

Mona Hanna | 96 comments Please delete these quotes or contact support. Sorry I was too lazy to link to them individually.

Thank you.

message 19: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Mona wrote: "Please delete these quotes or contact support. Sorry I was too lazy to link to them individually.

Thank you."

I've removed all three.

The adder has ignored at least two separate shouts from support (a "following up" and a "reaching out") so I'm not sure what comes next.

message 20: by Mona (new)

Mona Hanna | 96 comments It's very strange that the adder just keep ignoring people. Why would you keep adding quotes if they're just going to be deleted? It's odd.

message 21: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44590 comments Mod
This seems to be an issue for Support, rather than for librarians. Someone is looking into this particular case right now.

If there are any further issues, please use the Contact Us link on the Help page.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.