MashableReads discussion

The Girl on the Train > The Girl on the Train (SPOILER THREAD)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nora (new)

Nora Grenfell (nora_grenfell) | 13 comments Mod
Hi guys! Here's a place where those who have finished it can talk about THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN and not have to worry about spoiling others. IF YOU HAVEN"T FINISHED YET, STEER CLEAR!

message 2: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve (genevievedeguzman) | 23 comments The ending in regards to Rachel kind of let me down. It felt a little too convenient, as far as 'twists' go, for Rachel to finally have her memory return. Eureka! In a flash, she remembers who assaulted her in the underpass/tunnel and whom she sees in the car with her ex-husband. I guess it's not unrealistic--memories do pop and come back--but it was a bit creaky as a plot device. Especially with the fantastic set up, character-building, and pacing in the first half of the book...

I was actually more shocked when it came to Anna's behavior/reaction at the end. Even after she finds out what her husband did and what he is--a skeevy pathological liar--she puts on a pretty convincing performance about her loyalties up to the end. I got more of a Gone Girl vibe from Anna than Rachel.

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 8 comments Genevieve wrote: "The ending in regards to Rachel kind of let me down. It felt a little too convenient, as far as 'twists' go, for Rachel to finally have her memory return. Eureka! In a flash, she remembers who assa..."

I finished this book last night, and I agree with Genevieve that Rachel's return of memory was a bit too convenient, but I also found the likelihood of Rachel having the physical strength to kill Tom a bit unrealistic. Anna twisting the corkscrew to be sure he is dead paints her as a bit psychopathic. I did not like any of the characters in this novel, but I did fall into the usual reader's sympathy with Rachel as our main character. I did want her to succeed at being sober and finding a way to make something of her life.

I also thought it was highly ironic that Rachel's killing of Tom took place in the yard, right where those passing on the train could be eye witnesses to the event. This probably is not intended to be funny, but I couldn't help but snicker at this situational irony.

While not the best mystery around, I found the book to be an enjoyable, escapist read, and it did not infuriate me as Gone Girl did!

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 2 comments I didn't really get the idea that Rachel did something wrong by killing Tom at the end, meaning her and Anna now had dirt on each other so both had to stay quiet.

He might not have had the corkscrew, but it was self defense. He WAS going to kill her.

I thought Megan's "I will do the right thing!" epiphany at the end came off as a bit hollow too.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 2 comments Genevieve wrote: "The ending in regards to Rachel kind of let me down. It felt a little too convenient, as far as 'twists' go, for Rachel to finally have her memory return. Eureka! In a flash, she remembers who assa..."

I actually thought the idea was that Rachel was a pretty awful detective, so it makes sense she stumbles her way into the solution rather than gathering clues.

Anna was an interesting character. Yeah, very much an Amy Dunne-type. Rachel hit the nail on the head when she says her and Tom are well-suited. Both were sociopaths. And the only reason Anna turned on him was because she realized she was a loose end and he'd kill her too, eventually. It wasn't a moral issue stemming from him killing Megan.

message 6: by Claudia (new)

Claudia  | 1 comments What happened with Kamal and Scott? I was a little confused when Megan said that the baby could be Scott's or Tom's but she never mentioned Kamal.
At the end when Ana told Rachel to take care of herself, and Rachel felt like a warning..What do you think about that?

message 7: by Carly (new)

Carly (sea_ray) | 1 comments So did Scott become a psycho at the end? I was confused about that. Also who did Megan truly love? Kamal or Tom? And did Megan kill her first baby? How did her first baby die?

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica Manfred | 1 comments Can someone tell me if Megan actually had an affair with Kamal? It seemed that was a red herring. But then who was she kissing when Rachel saw her? Couldn't have been Tom because Rachel would have recognized him.

message 9: by Deann (new)

Deann Jackson | 2 comments Genevieve wrote: "The ending in regards to Rachel kind of let me down. It felt a little too convenient, as far as 'twists' go, for Rachel to finally have her memory return. Eureka! In a flash, she remembers who assa..."

Amen. It was too Hollywood of an ending for me. I mean, without any evidence other than being seen by a blackout, unstable drunk and some red haired anonymous man, Tom just confessess? Why would he do that? And suddenly the drunk mess of a person gets this crystal clear vision and becomes a totally different person than she was throughout the book.

My other issue with the book is just the premise that this woman could see so much from the train w/o the use of binoculars. I mean, was the train essentially in the backyard? I go on walks in my neighborhood and can't see as much as this person who is riding a moving train. I know she fantastized but the fact she could pick out the therapist and witnessed a kiss in a moving train? Just couldn't get past my BS meter.

message 10: by Deann (new)

Deann Jackson | 2 comments This book disappointed me so much in how it ended. I wasn't surprised that it was Tom, but the confessional was so cliche. Plus I couldn't imagine why anyone confronted by a drunk who has blackouts would confess to a murder. And the hackneyed recovered memory by Rachel? Please.

And how in the hell coud someone see so much on a moving train? I mean, she saw into a yard enough to be able to identify Kamal as the kisser?

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 1 comments I do not understand the blue dress at all!
Was it both outfits, on the track, the jeans and tee AND the blue dress?
If Tom hit Rachel in the tunnel who was walking away from her in the blue dress and belt? Anna?
Maybe Anna killed Megan wearing the blue dress?
It never says Megan wasn't clothed when they found her...
It does say she wears jeans and a tee when she's meeting him (Tom)
I'm so confused! And other posts in here have brought up many other unanswered questions...

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Symons Carly wrote: "So did Scott become a psycho at the end? I was confused about that. Also who did Megan truly love? Kamal or Tom? And did Megan kill her first baby? How did her first baby die?"

I think it's fair to say that Megan is a free-spirit, reckless, unpredictable and I think it's right to assume that her relationship with Scott is challenging and volatile. But I got the impression that he was ultimately the person she would choose above the others. She constantly talks about not wanting to hurt him and there are repeated moments when she relies on him to calm her anxieties. It's as close to love as Megan understands and can conjure within herself.

Yes, sadly Megan did kill her first baby by accident while she was living with her first serious boyfriend, Mac. She got into the bath on a warm, bright day with the baby on her chest and fell asleep. She awoke in darkness, in the now cold bath water with the baby limp and lifeless at her side. This led to Mac leaving her and spawned Megan's fear and anxiety from then on.