The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Monthly Challenges > February Scattergories

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H

The general rules of Scattergories are you are given a list of categories and a time limit. Then the letter dice is rolled and you have to come up with something that matches your letter and the category.

This “Challenge” works in conjunction with the other challenges you may participate in this month. You may use a book to fulfill multiple items (you don't have to read 12 books this month...don't worry!) While you are fulfilling the requirements of your other challenges, be on the lookout for the following items (they may be on the cover or mentioned in the book):

The Challenge: I will post a list of 12 categories, 6 general relating to any book, and 6 specific to that month. On the last day of the month before, I will post the letter of the month. You can start reading on the 1st. The goal is to get as many points as possible by the end of the month.

Duration: February 1st to February 28th

Rules:
1.Any genre of books will work
2.Ebooks and audio count
3.You can read in any order
4.Rereads are ok but if you really reread the book

Points: You get one point for each category you can tie to a book, where the first letter begins with the letter of the month. You get double points for each time the letter of the month is used to begin a word (ex. for author if the letter was C, Cassandra Claire would be 2 points). We will not be deducting points for duplicate answers like the original game version does.

…..Note….. if you have already earned 1 point for an item and come across another item worth more points you can replace it. Please only list the one book that you are currently using for points.

Special categories are open for interpretation. As long as it is mentioned in the book and you can justify how it fits, it will work.

When you find one of the items list the Book Title and Author (or link the cover), date it, and specify where the item is found within the book. (i.e. page number, e-reader location, audio chapter)

Just like the regular game we will not use the letters Q, U, V, X, Y and Z.

Let me know if you have any questions.

General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:

February Specials
February is month number two. February 6 is "National Wear Red Day", which aims to raise awareness of heart disease in women. February is still the smallest month. February 2nd is Groundhogs Day; groundhogs are an odd little animal. The February flower is the violet and the stone is the amethyst which are both shades of purple. And last but not least February is most known for Valentine’s Day filled with all sorts of romantic things.

7. Something there are two of:
8. Red:
9. Small:
10. Animal:
11. Purple:
12. Romantic:

message 2: by Jennifer H (last edited Jan 28, 2015 08:47AM) (new)

Jennifer H The Letter of the Month is

message 3: by Penni (new)

Penni | 1286 comments Mod
My favorite letter :-)

I'm in.

message 4: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Welcome Penni!

message 5: by Jade aka MrsTosh (last edited Feb 12, 2015 02:52AM) (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 699 comments TLC February Scattergories
Letter: P
Completed: 2 book 12.02.15

General
1. Book Title:Phoenix
2. Author: Priscilla Green
3. Main Character: Paige - Phoenix
4. Secondary Character: Phoenix Peyton
5. Place: Phoenix
6. Cover: People

February Specials

8. Red: Phoenix ~ “What’s this?” I ask, surprised when I see it contains a small white pill with red lips printed on it. Loc 51.9 (2 points)
9. Small:Phoenix ~ When I blow out the candles, she claps her hands before presenting me with a small black jewellery box. Loc 314 (1 point)
10. Animal: Phoenix ~ There are drawings of everything in here, from people, to animals, trees and vehicles. Loc 198 (1 point)
11. Purple:Back To You ~ “You can be the pink pony, and I’ll be the purple one,” she said. Loc 164 (2 points)
12. Romantic:Back To You ~ Adam had invited her over for dinner the night before, and their date started off like all the others. Fun. Romantic. Comfortable. Essentially perfect. Loc 436 (1 points)

Back to You by Priscilla Glenn Phoenix (Beautiful, #1.5) by Lilliana Anderson

message 6: by Jonquil (last edited Feb 20, 2015 06:26PM) (new)

Jonquil 12/12
General
1. Book Title:Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues 2/1
2. Author: Randall PefferProvincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues 2/1
3. Main Character: John Puller The Escape 2/7
4. Secondary Character: Robert Puller The Escape 2/7
5. Place: Provincetown MA Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues 2/1
6. Cover: Porch Red Delicious Death 2/8
Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3) by Sheila Connolly

7. Something there are two of: "a pair of Brandy's pumps" loc 815 Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues
8. Red: " white lace pantyhose go with her red rhinestone box-toed pumps." Loc 68 Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues 2/1
9. Small: "the plane is so small" loc 1843 Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues 2/1
10. Animal: "herd of party animals" loc 2391 Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues
11. Purple: "in a purple one-piece" loc 1243 Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues 2/1
12. Romantic: "saying he wanted to protect and cherish her" p 342 The Bodyguard 2/20

message 7: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Welcome Jonquil!

message 8: by Laila Jane (last edited Feb 21, 2015 01:49AM) (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 215 comments February 2015 Scattergories

Goal: 12/12

Letter of the Month: P

General
1. Book Title - The Prelude of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen (02/17/15)
2. Author - Pepper Winters: Second Debt by Pepper Winters (02/01/15)
3. Main Character - Parker Whalen: Collateral Damage by Katie Klein (02/21/15)
4. Secondary Character - Poppy Cruz: Rowdy by Jay Crownover (02/17/15)
5. Place - Paris: You Turn by Marion Croslydon (02/04/15)
6. Cover - Pearls: You Turn by Marion Croslydon (02/04/15)

February Specials
7. Something there are 2 of - "...stopping in the kitchen to grab two Cokes."
   You Turn by Marion Croslydon (02/04/15) - Kindle loc: 1137
8. Red - "...then switch on the red lights."
   You Turn by Marion Croslydon (02/04/15) - Kindle loc: 1531
9. Small - "I peered at the small tattoo."
   Second Debt by Pepper Winters (02/01/15) - Kindle loc: 1722
10. Animal - "...heart to mush to see the animal's reaction..."
   Second Debt by Pepper Winters (02/01/15) - Kindle loc: 1828
11. Purple - "I vaguely notice the purple rays of the rising sun..."
   You Turn by Marion Croslydon (02/04/15) - Kindle loc: 2009
12. Romantic - "It could be romantic, if I did romantic..."
   Take Me On by Katie McGarry (02/10/15 - Kindle loc: 1889

Second Debt (Indebted, #3) by Pepper Winters You Turn by Marion Croslydon Take Me On (Pushing the Limits, #4) by Katie McGarry Rowdy (Marked Men, #5) by Jay Crownover The Prelude of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #0.5) by Jessica Sorensen Collateral Damage (Cross My Heart, #2) by Katie Klein

message 9: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Welcome Laila Jane!

message 10: by Tory (new)

Tory (nghtstlkr64) February 2015 Scattergories
Letter of the Month: P

0/12

1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:
8. Red:
9. Small:
10. Animal:
11. Purple:
12. Romantic:

message 11: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Welcome Tory!

message 12: by Missyb (last edited Feb 28, 2015 04:48PM) (new)

Missyb | 127 comments 1.Book Title: Partnership Reforged
2.Author: Robyn Peterman (hell on heels)
3.Main Character:
4.Secondary Character: Pierre LaForge (Wolf at the Door)
5.Place: Phoenix (Real Vamp story)
6.Cover:Purple (Britton)
7.Something there are two of:While any verile male werewolf would be sexually drawn to an attractive women, it was extremely rare for two wolves to have the potential to mate with the same woman. (p. 14 Wolf At The Door)
8.Red:Her full lips, painted in bright red, twisted into a grin (p. 14 Real vamp story)( 1 pt)
9.Small:I'd left it in the parking lot of a small publishing company (p. 4 real vamp story)(2 pts)
10.Animal: He gave a rumble of pleasure, the growl more like an animal than a man. (p. 58 Wolf At the door)
11.Purple: The boy had a purple flower pinned to his jacket, Transylvania Sage, and the girl drove the branch into his chest pushing the purple flower into his heart, and he died. (p.17 & 18 real vamp story)(4 pts)
12.Romantic: Of course I hadn't see it during the day, but the quiet picturesque countryside and old world architecture made flying over at night romantic (p. 43 Bound by Flames)
Hell on Heels (Hot Damned #3) by Robyn Peterman Wolf at the Door (Salvation Pack, #1) by N.J. Walters Partnership Reforged (Partnership in Blood, #6) by Ariel Tachna Britton (The Awakening, #3) by Abby Niles Bound by Flames (Night Prince, #3) by Jeaniene Frost

message 13: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Welcome Missyb!

message 14: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Not doing great on this challenge, but I'm in again!

Duration: 2/1/15 - 2/28/15

0/12

General
1. Book Title:
2. Author:
3. Main Character:
4. Secondary Character:
5. Place:
6. Cover:

February Specials
February is month number two. February 6 is "National Wear Red Day", which aims to raise awareness of heart disease in women. February is still the smallest month. February 2nd is Groundhogs Day; groundhogs are an odd little animal. The February flower is the violet and the stone is the amethyst which are both shades of purple. And last but not least February is most known for Valentine’s Day filled with all sorts of romantic things.

8. Red:
9. Small:
10. Animal:
11. Purple:
12. Romantic:

message 15: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Welcome Back Leslie & Good Luck!

message 16: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 699 comments Completed 12.02.15

message 17: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Wow, that was quick, Jade! Congratulations!

message 18: by Missyb (last edited Feb 12, 2015 11:15PM) (new)

Missyb | 127 comments I just finished a beta read Wednesday 2/11. Can I use it for this? It has a few of the catagories in it. Ex.: it takes place in Phoenix, they use a purple sage flower on their weapons & 2 or 3 others. The book was 200 pages.

message 19: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 699 comments Jennifer ♔Princess Penguin♔ wrote: "Wow, that was quick, Jade! Congratulations!"

Thanks Jennifer, you know this is my favourite challenge ;D

message 20: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Missyb wrote: "I just finished a beta read Wednesday 2/11. Can I use it for this? It has a few of the catagories in it. Ex.: it takes place in Phoenix, they use a purple sage flower on their weapons & 2 or 3 othe..."

Sure you can use it!

message 21: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Jade aka MrsTosh wrote: "Jennifer ♔Princess Penguin♔ wrote: "Wow, that was quick, Jade! Congratulations!"

Thanks Jennifer, you know this is my favourite challenge ;D"

I'm so glad you enjoy it!

message 22: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 127 comments Jennifer ♔Princess Penguin♔ wrote: "Missyb wrote: "I just finished a beta read Wednesday 2/11. Can I use it for this? It has a few of the catagories in it. Ex.: it takes place in Phoenix, they use a purple sage flower on their weapon..."

Sweet. Thanks.

message 23: by Suzanne (last edited Feb 27, 2015 07:47AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1518 comments The Lost Challenges
February Scattergories
Duration:
2/1/2015 - 2/28/2015

Progress: 12 out of 12

Letter: P

General
1. Book Title:

The Perfect Play by Jaci Burton - ***** - 2/24/2015

2. Author:
Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason by Nancy Pearl - ***** - 2/25/2015

3. Main Character: Pharaoh
Nefertiti by Michelle Moran - *** - 2/26/2015

4. Secondary Character: Poppet:
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - **** - 2/22/2015

5. Place: Prague:
Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor - ***** - 2/23/2015

6. Cover: Pumps (high heels):
Jemima J by Jane Green - ***** - 2/18/2015 - Page 244

February Specials

7. Something there are two of: "Ben and Sam are getting on as famously as two people who have nothing in common other than a mutual attraction can get on." Page 59
Jemima J by Jane Green - ***** - 2/18/2015

8. Red: “You’ve done brilliantly,” says Paul, who seems to believe in the power of motivation and isn’t letting the fact that he is talking to a bright red, puffing, sodden lump put him off.
Jemima J by Jane Green - ***** - 2/18/2015 - Page 138

9. Small: "She blanches slightly at the price, but then it’s a small price to pay for being thin, and this gym is so close she won’t have any excuse not to go, so with pen in hand she starts ticking the boxes."
Jemima J by Jane Green - ***** - 2/18/2015 - Page 128

10. Animal: "Such animals as you have never seen, striped horses, great spotted things with necks as long as stilts, hairy mouse-pigs as big as cows, stinging manticores, tigers that carry their cubs in a pouch."
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - ***** - 2/1/2015

11. Purple: "Then it turned out the purple flowers were called poison kisses, and Arya got a rash on her arms."
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - ***** - 2/1/2015

12. Romantic: "Diana turned a business drink into dinner at a small French bistro in Chelsea, a dark, cozy, candlelit restaurant, perfect for romantic trysts."
Jemima J by Jane Green - ***** - 2/18/2015 - Page 244

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin Jemima J by Jane Green The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1) by Jaci Burton Book Lust Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason by Nancy Pearl Nefertiti by Michelle Moran Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor

message 24: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 127 comments Done, 15 points.