You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > Susan G's Another One Bites the Dust

Comments Showing 1-50 of 137 (137 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Susan (last edited Jan 28, 2015 07:19AM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments OK, I'm jumping in to my first challenge so any help with the nuts and bolts would be greatly appreciated! I tend to go a little overboard when I find a book I enjoy and feel the need to immediately read everything I can get my hands on by that author. So this challenge seems tailor made for me!

So here are some of the series I want to start with (and kill off!):
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Night Huntress by Jeanine Frost
Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Mayer
Dark Warrior by Donna Grant
Wishcraft Mystery by Heather Blake
October Daye by Seanan McGuire
The Hollows by Kim Harrison
In Crytpids by Seanan McGuire
Elm Creek Quilts by Jennifer Chiaverini
Death on Demand by Carolyn Hart
Heather Wells by Meg Cabot
Rizzoli & Isles by Tess Gerritson

Now I just need to figure out how many I’ve already read and how many to go for the challenge.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48670 comments In that case, I'd recommend you start with The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan. I started the first book and ended up reading the entire series back to back.

Oh, and welcome to the challenge!

message 3: by Susan (last edited Jan 28, 2015 04:39PM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Thanks, Janice! I'm excited. And thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

So I've done a little research on my series selections to see where I am at this point. As I understand it (just copying the rules to figure out my points) --

Each series has an assigned point value based on the number of books in the series. In addition, 5 points will be awarded for every book started and finished in the level. You will get 5 points for every book started and finished within a level, as long as it belongs to a series you are reading. You need two things to complete a level - at least one finished series and 100 points.

Trilogy = 30 pts base
Four book series = 40 pts
Five book series = 50 pts
Six book series = 60 pts
Seven book series = 70 pts
Eight book series = 80 pts
Nine book series = 90 pts
Ten or more book series = 100 pts

Onward!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments (With apologies and all due respect to Queen) *dancing around in celebration*
“Oh! Let's go!
Susan walks warily down the street
With the brim pulled way down low.
Ain't no sound but the sound of her feet,
Machine guns ready to go."

*boom, boom, boom* Another one bites the dust!

Guild Hunter by Nalini Singh (5/7)
I read 5 books of the series before challenge and just finished Archangel's Legion and Archangel's Shadows to kill off the series. So 70 points for series and 5 points for each book = 80 points, yes?

And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust!

Heather Wells by Meg Cabot (3/5)
Knocked off Size 12 and Ready to Rock and The Bride Wore Size 12 so
so another 50 points for killing this series and 2 points for each book for another 70 points.

message 5: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 1020 comments Hey just so u know it is 5 points per book, more points for u :)

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Oh thanks, Tasha! Silly typos on my part, but good to know!

message 7: by Susan (last edited Feb 13, 2015 07:45PM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Are you ready, hey, are you ready for this?
Are you hanging on the edge of your seat?
Out of the doorway the bullets rip
To the sound of the beat

*boom, boom, boom* Another one bites the dust!

OK! Here we go --
Finished:
Night Huntress by Jeaniene Frost (2/7)
Halfway to the Grave - 5 points
Destined for an Early Grave - 5 points
One Foot in the Grave - 5 points
This Side of the Grave - 5 points
One Grave at a Time - 5 points
70 points for series + 25 (5 pts x 5) = 95 points

Dying a slow death:
Wishcraft Mystery by Heather Blake (2/5)
The Good the Bad and the Witchy - 5 points
The Goodbye Witch - 5 points
total of 10 points so far for this series

Not quite dead yet:
Elm Creek Quilts by Jennifer Chiaverini (16/20)
The Christmas Quilt - 5 points
The Quilter's Kitchen - 5 points
10 points for this series so far

Also still kicking:
InCryptids by Seanan McGuire (2/4)
Half-Off Ragnarok - 5 points
5 points for this series

Grand total for this level - 120 points!

message 8: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Yeah, over-killing happening here! Way to shoot 'em.

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48670 comments She seems overly happy to kill. Hehehehe!

message 10: by Susan (last edited Feb 15, 2015 09:26AM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust
Hey, I'm gonna get you, too

And another series goes down!

Elm Creek Quilts by Jennifer Chiaverini (18/20 since I read 2 for the last level)
The Aloha Quilt - 5 points
The Wedding Quilt - 5 points

Grand total this time around - 100 points for series over 10 books + 10 points for the last 2 books = 110 points!

And I'm off to attack my next victim...*boom, boom, boom* Another one bites the dust!

message 11: by Susan (last edited Feb 21, 2015 02:12PM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Another one bites the dust

And two more series dead and buried!

Finished off:
Spellbound Falls by Janet Chapman (5/6)
The Highlander Next Door
60 points for series + 5 points for last book = 65 points

And also down for the count:
Dark Warriors by Donna Grant (6/8)
Midnight's Temptation
Midnight's Promise
80 point for series + 10 points for two books = 90 points

And started new series:
Cainsville by Kelley Armstrong (0/3) with
Omens for 5 points and
Visions for 5 points
Series total so far - 10 points

Grand total to get to level four - 165 points!

And I'm off to stalk my next victims.

message 12: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Way to kill them off, Susan! One more badge to earn. Are you planning to keep going to the end of the year?

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Cherie wrote: "Way to kill them off, Susan! One more badge to earn. Are you planning to keep going to the end of the year?"

Thanks, Cherie! I am planning to keep going through the end of the year. I've been able to revisit and wrap up a few incomplete series and I've found some new ones to explore. As I tend to become obsessed by an author and their work, this challenge really fits the way I tend to read. So thanks, YLTO! I love this challenge!

message 14: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments I know exactly what you mean about getting so focused on an author. It becomes so consuming and after the last book is read, you surface and look around and wonder what in the world happened?!

message 15: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Love your theme! Your books really are biting the dust :)

Your list reminds that I need to get back to the Elm Creek Quilts series.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments *dancing around the room singing like a maniac*
Boom boom boom. Another one bites the dust!

And with that I finish off the Fifth level!
I have completed Death on Demand by Carolyn Hart (20/24) by reading
Dead by Midnight
Death Comes Silently
Dead, White, and Blue
Death at the Door
100 points for the series + 20 points for the last four books = 120 points!

message 17: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 1020 comments Congrats on level 5.

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48670 comments Susan, you may have noticed that I've tacked on a "G" to your name for this thread and your wall of fame thread. We have another Susan (Susan B) in the group and things are getting a bit mixed up.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Janice wrote: "Susan, you may have noticed that I've tacked on a "G" to your name for this thread and your wall of fame thread. We have another Susan (Susan B) in the group and things are getting a bit mixed up."

I saw Susan B's comment in another thread and was going to suggest adding my "G". Thanks for being proactive and taking care of that for me. Must be challenging to keep us all straight. ☺

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48670 comments It can be. :) But we eventually get it all straightend out.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments *...and another one's gone, and another one's gone, another one bites the dust..."

Level 6 goes down with a one-two punch - I've finished two series this time around:

The Spellmason Chronicles by Anton Strout (0/3)
Alchemystic
Stonecast
Incarnate
30 points for the trilogy + 15 points for three books read = 45 points.

The Chronicles of Kazam by Jasper Fforde (0/3)
The Last Dragonslayer
The Song of the Quarkbeast
The Eye of Zoltar
30 points for this trilogy + 15 points for three books read = 45 points. I'm counting this one as finished - there is supposed to be a fourth book published sometime in 2015 but I can't find a firm date for scheduled release. If it comes out I'll just read it as an extra book somewhere down the line.

To make it to 100 points for this level I also read:
Sight Unseen for 5 points and
Elysian Fields for 5 points bring me to exactly 100 points for this level.

Onward!

message 22: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Oh, you beat me to Level 6. Too many stand alone books holding up progress. Good job and a twofer too!

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Cherie wrote: "Oh, you beat me to Level 6. Too many stand alone books holding up progress. Good job and a twofer too!"

Thanks, Cherie! I've got several series that I've enjoyed in the past that are just waiting for the next book to be published in 2015, so I'm trying to wrap up what I can here and there. Good luck diving back into your books!

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments “Hey, I'm gonna get you, too … Another one bites the dust…”
Level 7 and another two series go down!

For this level I finished off:
InCryptids by Seanan McGuire (3/4) so 40 points for the series + 5 points for reading Pocket Apocalypse = 45 points.

The second series I finished for this level was: Monster M*A*S*H by Angie Fox (2/3) with 30 points for the trilogy + 5 points for Immortally Ever After for this level = 35 points.

I then made a stab at a couple of other series on my kill list by reading:
Bones Never Lie
from Temperance Brennan by Kathy Reichs (16/18) for 5 points

and Born to Bite,
Hungry for You and
The Reluctant Vampire
from Argeneau by Lynsay Sands (16/22) for 15 points which brings level 7 to a close with 100 points.

message 25: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Another twofer. Hahaha! Still doing mine stand alone. Great reading!

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Level 8 goes down! Quick and painless!

I read Cat in a Yellow Spotlight: A Midnight Louie Mystery by Carol Nelson Douglas to finish off the Midnight Louie series by Carol Nelson Douglas (25 of 26).

100 points for the series + 5 points for the "last" book for 105 points. While I think there is supposed to be a "Z" book coming and then a final book to wrap up the series, I haven't found any dates for release. So I am counting this series as finished to this point.

Time to stalk my next victim.

message 27: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Sweet! One book and a series is killed off. Next level, please. :0). Good job, killer!

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments And Level 9 is in the rearview mirror.

I polished off the Sister Jane series by Rita Mae Brown (7/9)
by reading Fox Tracks: A Novel and
Let Sleeping Dogs Lie: A Novel.
Point total - 90 points for series + 10 points = 100 points.

"But I'm ready, yes, I'm ready for you
I'm standing on my own two feet
Out of the doorway the bullets rip
Repeating to the sound of the beat

Another one bites the dust..."

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48670 comments You're in a killing frenzy, Susan. :)

message 30: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Way to go, Susan! You and Rebecca are definitely leading and in the front of the pack!

I used to read RMB, but I couldn't keep up.

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments I've killed off Level 10!

In this round I started and completed the Glee Club series by Joelle Charbonneau (0/3) by reading
Murder for Choir
End Me a Tenor
and A Chorus Line-Up
for 30 points + 15 points = 45 for this series.

Then I started another series by Joelle Charbonneau Rebecca Robbins (0/4) and read
Skating Around the Law
Skating Over the Line
and Skating on the Edge
for another 15 points.

Also read on this level books from other series in progress:
Obsession in Death for 5 points
and If I Should Die for 5 points

And finally I wrapped up my killing spree with the Cafferty and Quinn series by Heather Graham (2/3) by reading The Dead Play On for 30 points for series + 5 points = 35 points.

So Level 10 is put down with 105 points.

message 32: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Two more dead! You are my hero!

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Cherie wrote: "Two more dead! You are my hero!"

Heehee. Thanks, Cherie! I love reading your encouraging comments!

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48670 comments You're on a killing spree! I'm still plugging away on level 4.

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Wow, Susan! Way to go!!

message 36: by Susan (last edited Apr 01, 2015 02:55PM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Thanks, Janice and Stephanie! Though I will have to admit I think I've added more series to my TBR than I have killed off. ;)

message 37: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Travis just made me look at my series stats. The sad news is that I have eliminated 6 and snuggled up with 8 new ones in the levels that I have finished. Hopeless!

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Level Eleven bites the dust big time!

I finished the Gargoyles series by Christine Warren (2/3) by reading Hard as a Rock for a total of 30 pints for series + 5 points for book = 35 points.

Next up on the chopping block I polished off the Midnight Bay series by Janet Chapman (2/3) by reading Dragon Warrior so another 30 points for series + 5 points for book = 35 points.

Then I wrapped up the level by stalking my next series Lucy Kincaid by Alison Brennan (3/10) and taking out several books in one fell swoop:
Silenced
Stalked
Stolen
Cold Snap and
Dead Heat for 25 more points giving me a grand total of 100 points for this level.

message 39: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments Sweet work, Susan! I am looking forward to the Gargoyle Series, if I ever get to it.

message 40: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments Holy mayhem! Mass Slaughter! I think you have found your calling.☻

message 41: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Susan, I had to check out your thread. I've read some of the authors you have, intend to start others, but a few are new to me. I've seen some Rizzoli & Isles books on sale for Kindle. How is that series? It sounds a bit dark from the descriptions.

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Lara wrote: "Susan, I had to check out your thread. I've read some of the authors you have, intend to start others, but a few are new to me. I've seen some Rizzoli & Isles books on sale for Kindle. How is that ..."

I've thoroughly enjoyed the Rizzoli & Isles series so far. They are your basic murder/detective novels so there can be some dark stuff in there, chasing serial killers and whatnot. (Perfect for a Serial Killer Challenge, perhaps?) The main characters are a Boston police detective and the medical examiner. There is currently a TV series loosely based on the books.

message 43: by Susan (last edited Apr 29, 2015 06:25AM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments "and another one's gone, and another one's gone, another one bites the dust!"
Level 12!!
I finished up the Rebecca Robbins series by Joelle Charbonneau with Skating Under the Wire. 40 points for the series + 5 points for the final book = 45 points

Then I went after the Jane Kelly series by Nancy Bush with 30 Points for the trilogy + 15 points for reading Candy Apple Red, Electric Blue and Ultraviolet = 45 points.

To round out the level I read the next in a series I had started before the challenge - The Dead Will Tell by Linda Castillo for 5 points and am waiting for the next book to be published this summer to polish off that series.

And finally I started a new series by reading Kitty and the Midnight Hour for 5 points.

Total - 100 points! Boom!

message 44: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19964 comments AWSOME!! You and Rebecca are leading the serial killer pack.

message 45: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments I've been reading like crazy, yet not keeping my list up-to-date. I'll have to go in and update soon. However, I don't think I finished and series--though I've read the latest book. I've generally decided not to call the series "done" in those cases unless the next book isn't due out until next year.

message 46: by Susan (last edited May 09, 2015 06:23PM) (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Lara wrote: "I've been reading like crazy, yet not keeping my list up-to-date. I'll have to go in and update soon. However, I don't think I finished and series--though I've read the latest book. I've generally ..."

Yeah, I know what you mean, Lara. If a particular series I'm working on has a book coming out this year (with an actual date scheduled) then I'm trying to wait to read that one before I count the series finished. And I'm afraid my record keeping spreadsheet has gotten a little complicated. I've started color coding stuff I've already read and stuff I think may be next up. We'll see if that works.

message 47: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments And there are a few series that I've noticed well after the beginning of the year that have new books coming out later than the one I was expecting. For instance, JD Robb's In Death series had a book release early this year, then, around its release, I noticed yet another one planned for November or so. So, that's one I probably won't count as "completed" until then.

Susan, You keep a separate spreadsheet? I have soooo many books I'd like to read that I'd have a hard time keeping it up. But, it would be great to have more sorting information, such as genre, than on my GR lists.

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments I've only got a spreadsheet for this challenge. I'm trying to keep up with how many points I would need for any particular level and plan my reading accordingly. I also made GR bookshelves for different series and add the books to my serial killer bookshelf as I work on the series. Sometimes I think it just confuses me more than helps but I'm rolling with it.

message 49: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments I keep finding series I'd started, and reading books that are in new series. If I had a spreadsheet it would help, but I'd have a hard time keeping it straight.

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments And it's Lucky Level 13 this morning! I squeezed in some serial killing in between challenges with:

The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger (2/5). 50 points for series and 15 points for Changeless, Blameless and Timeless.

Then I moved over to continue stalking the Kitty Norville series (1/14) with Kitty Goes to Washington, Kitty Takes a Holiday, and Kitty and the Silver Bullet, Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand for 20 points.

I finished up my spree by knocking off three from Rizzoli and Isles (6/11) for 15 points with The Keepsake, Ice Cold and The Silent Girl.

Grand total for this level 100 points!

« previous 1 3