2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Carolyn's 2015 Challenge **40 books**

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments I read 27 books in 2014, so I am going to be ambitious and challenge myself to read 40 books in 2015. I think I can do it, since I found myself reading more books during the last few months of 2014.

message 2: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments What I have read in 2015 so far:

1. Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
2. Loveyoubye by Rossandra White
3. Secrets, Lies, and Homicide by Patricia Dusenbery
4. Walking on Mars Destination Vostok by Briar Lee Mitchell
5. No Time for Trouble by Frank Stutler

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Updated as of 2/14:

6. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Update as of 2/22:

7. Ghost Dog by Helen Currie Foster

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Updated as of 3/13:

8. Dead in the Water by A.J. Basinski
9. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

message 6: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments I am trying to read more books this year that are out of my comfort zone.

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Updated with #10. I am so happy that I am on track with my annual goal.

7. Ghost Dog by Helen Currie Foster
8. Dead in the Water by A.J. Basinski
9. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
10.The Boys of Summers Run by James Cotton

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments I finished #11 a few days ago....
Appalachian Idyll by Brad Jolly. Not my favorite so far this year, but still an interesting read.

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Updated to include #12...
Big Mojo by Jack Getze. Very enjoyable light read.

message 10: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #13...
Paper Towns by John Green
I loved the author's writing style and am planning to read more of his books.

message 11: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #14...
Doomed Soul by Robert Boomsliter
A change of pace since this book was way out of my comfort zone. Very controversial.

message 12: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #15...
The Waterbear by Wade C. Taylor

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #16...The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
An excellent historical fiction novel based on a true story.

message 14: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #17....
No Fury by A. Lynn Powers
Really fun read about a woman getting revenge on her ex with a bachelor-style reality show. The catch....she selects which girls get voted off.

message 15: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #18...The Pearl that Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi
Very interesting book about a girl growing up in Afghanistan, with flashbacks to her great-great-grandmother's experiences

message 16: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #19...The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
Excellent true story. I feel honored that I read this book.

message 17: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #20....A Case of Crime by D.M Spinks
Light and breezy mystery with a cute premise - the main character is a time traveller.

message 18: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #21...
Holding Fire: Short Stories of Self-Destruction by Scott Hughes
Interesting, eclectic mix of stories about revenge.

message 19: by Carolyn (last edited Oct 16, 2015 06:18AM) (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #22...
I Really Hate My Job-I Think I'm Working With Morons by William Crooks
Witty book comprised solely of texts between two co-workers.

message 20: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #23...Taken Away by Patricia Yager Delagrange

message 21: by Carolyn (last edited Oct 16, 2015 06:18AM) (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments I just realized I am ahead of track to reach my annual goal. :)

message 22: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #24...Dr. Brett's Deep Little Book On Dating and Relationships by Dr. Brett Dunkin
- I read this book in return for an honest review. Not really my cup of tea, but still a decent read.

message 23: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #25 - Forever Twelve by Meg Kimball
I just remembered to add this book, which I read back in March. It was the Book of the Month for an online discussion. It's a Young Adult novel about 2 tweens that write an advice column for the school newspaper. Sweet coming-of-age story about friendship and family.

message 24: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #26 - Miami Iced by Susan Sussman - Great writing, wonderful main character, absorbing plot. Highly recommend!

message 25: by Noel (new)

Noel Brady (noel-brady) Carolyn wrote: "#13...
I loved the author's writing style and am planning to read more of his books."

Was this your first John Green book? I recommend Will Grayson, Will Grayson, very funny with great characters. :)

message 26: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Shannon N wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "#13...
I loved the author's writing style and am planning to read more of his books."

Was this your first John Green book? I recommend [book:Will Grayson,..."

Yes, Paper Towns was my first John Green book. I read it as my book club's monthly selection. Thanks for the Will Grayson, Will Grayson recommendation!

message 27: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Updating to include #27 - Illusion by Nassim Nakad. I received this book in return for an honest review. The story was unique and thought-provoking, but was a bit muddled.

message 28: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #28 - Survival of the Fittest by Robin Hawdon. An ambitious novel about a British book dealer who is hired to track down two secret works related to Charles Darwin. A bit draggy due to 3 alternating points of views in 3 time periods.

message 29: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #29 - Andi Makes a Wish by Meg Kimball. I received this Young Adult book in return for an honest review. The main character is very likeable and the story tackles a serious topic, her mother's recovery from alcoholism. There are many light-hearted, funny parts to balance the serious subject matter.

message 30: by Nassim (new)

Nassim Carolyn wrote: "Updating to include #27 - Illusion by Nassim Nakad. I received this book in return for an honest review. The story was unique and thought-provoking, but was a bit muddled."

Thank you for adding illusion to your challenge:

the language of the universe is mathematics... Logic is a mathematical sequence... a sequence is part of a film... a film is 24 lies per second.
Art is the creation of minds... Creation is but an illusion... illusion dissolves with a constant reality... reality is a persistent illusion…

Everything has been told, recycling is another form of making an art your own…

I believe in Creation. I believe in recycling art. And most of all I believe in illusions.

Nassim Nakad

message 31: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #30...TimeBangers Vol. 1: One Does Not Simply Walk into Tudor by Ivery Kirk

message 32: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #31...To Say Goodbye by David Weiskircher

message 33: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #32...Investing 101 by Matthew Barnes

message 34: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments "Updated to include:

#33...Sugar Baby by Ryan Lee
I received this book in return for an honest review.

#34...Corey Tells a Story by Meg Kimball
This is the 6th installment in the Advice Avengers series. I loved this book! A nice mix of light-hearted and serious subject matter. Some of the jokes made me laugh out loud.

#35...Behind Closed Doors 2 by A.L. Smith
I enjoyed this book, although the subject matter of familial human trafficking is harsh. The author is a master storyteller and I look forward to her next book.

#36...Ian, CEO, North Pole by Eric Dana Hansen
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I loved this story about an elf who works his way up the corporate ladder at the North Pole.

message 35: by Carolyn (last edited Oct 16, 2015 06:19AM) (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Only four away from my goal of 40 books, and it's only July!

message 36: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments I finished #37 on July 30th.

Once in a Blue Year by Michael Durkota

message 37: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Forgot to add #38, which I read in mid-July.

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson

message 38: by Carolyn (last edited Oct 16, 2015 06:19AM) (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #39 - Hattie's Place by Katherine Stillerman
Absorbing historical fiction about a young teacher making her way in the world in 1907.

#40 - The Funny Side of War: For the Sick and Demented by Mat Vance - offbeat, often humorous stories by a soldier in combat during the Iraq war.

I reached my goal of 40 books for the year...and it's only mid-August!

message 39: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Updated to include:
#41 - Wandering the Field by Alice Brady
#42 - Shut Up Already by Jason Linton
#43 - The Incredible Mr. Pickett by Todd Tucker

I received these three books in exchange for an honest review on another site.

message 40: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #44 - The Dreamer of Downing Street by Roberta Smith - I received this book in exchange for an honest review - interesting mystery/period piece
#45 - Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng - I reread this book after reading it last year, and liked it more the 2nd time around
#46 - The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne - creepy psychological mystery - I'm on the fence about this one
#47 - Celluloid by Holly Curtis - I received this book in exchange for an honest review - very funny and wise

message 41: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #48 - Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian Forschner - I received this book in exchange for an honest review - fascinating historical true crime that made me appreciate the current use of forensics in investigations

message 42: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #49 - Closed Doors 1 by A.L. Smith - This is the second book I've read by this author. An absorbing page turner.

message 43: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Carolyn wrote: "Updated to include:
#41 - Wandering the Field by Alice Brady
#42 - Shut Up Already by Jason Linton
#43 - The Incredible Mr. Pickett by Todd Tucker

I received these three books in exchange for an h..."

I love when that happens. Every now and then I'm offered a book or magazine deal from one the book sites I order from.

I was wondering if you know how to use the add book/author link? It would be great if you did. It makes it really easy to find out more information about the books.

message 44: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Sorry, I don't know how to use the add book link.

message 45: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #50 - A Tight Grip by Kay Rae Chomic

message 46: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments That's ok...I hope this helps... When you comment, on the top left of the box, is says add book/author. Click there and type in the name of the book or author. Then just click add. It will add the book link automatically.

message 47: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #51 - 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget by Scott Hughes
This is a short, useful book with practical tips about marketing your book. Although I am not an author, I found the book interesting and filled with great advice.

message 48: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments Updated to include:
#52 - Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone
I really enjoyed this mystery set in Key West. Memorable charaters, vivid setting, and aborbing plot. I would read more books in this series.

message 49: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #53 - Annie's 1st Break by Willee Amsden

message 50: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (bookowlie) | 330 comments #54 Joy and Pain: A Poetry Collection by T. Channi

« previous 1