Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Editions not listed separately & wrong ISBN

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22 comments [Note: Goodreads Expert Shaun Ponting suggested that I post this on the Librarians Group after I sent it in as a question to the contact address.]

I have been reading Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson by G. I. Gurdjieff. I have gone through all 50 editions listed, but can't find them as separate books (which is how the edition I'm reading is divided).

It is a three-book edition, as a boxed set, published by E.P. Dutton & Co., Inc., and each has its own "SBN." They are currently listed as "an edition" of this book, but I have to choose: *either* First Book, Second Book, or Third Book. Those books are separate. The problem with listing them as one is that then the page numbers are off. First Book is 410 pages, Second 403, Third 428. The only solution has been to use another edition of the book, but I haven't found an edition that is 1241 pages.

Is it possible to separate these? I tried to do it myself, but I could not add the first book manually, so I presume the same applies to the second and third books.

Also, the SBN for the First Book and the Second Book are coming up as an ISBN for another book altogether (also Dutton). I've checked and rechecked. I have NOT checked on the Third Book. The SBNs are:
First Book: 0-525-47348-3
Second Book: 0-525-47349-1
Third Book: 0-525-47350-5

message 2: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10805 comments It sounds like there are multiple possible mistakes and policies involved.

About the box set, has it besides an ISBN for each of the books also an ISBN for the whole box set?

If the three different books are all combined together, they should be separated. (And it is possible to shelf multiple editions of a single work.)
Could you give the links to the editions?

About the ISBN use for other books, sometimes an ISBN is reused for a different edition or even a different work. If that is the case we can add your edition with a note that it has the same ISBN.

message 3: by Sandra (last edited Feb 03, 2015 12:44PM) (new)

Sandra | 22 comments Renske wrote: "It sounds like there are multiple possible mistakes and policies involved.

About the box set, has it besides an ISBN for each of the books also an ISBN for the whole box set?

If the three differe..."

Here are links to the editions; I guessed that you meant links to the Goodreads editions? If that's so, here they are. Sorry it took so long to reply; I couldn't do this on my phone, where I first saw your message. You'll see that you cannot list two of these individually; you have to choose one or the other at a time.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Renske wrote: "It sounds like there are multiple possible mistakes and policies involved.

If the three differe..."

message 4: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments i've spent a lot of time cleaning up this book and others by the same author. i have separated out all 3 parts of the complete Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson and left librarian notes to discourage their combination in the future. hope that helps!

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22 comments Fantastic! Thanks for your work.