UK Book Club discussion

Random Chit-Chat > Room 101

Comments Showing 1-50 of 927 (927 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

message 1: by Tori (last edited Jan 28, 2015 06:39AM) (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments This is the first discussion topic I've opened all by myself! There are so many things I'd like to put into a virtual room 101 that I thought I'd make it a subject matter so I can rant when the mood overcomes me, and people can join in if they so desire. It's a bit like the grumpy thread, only more specific.

My first post is entitled Tissues and Issues.

I have an issue with handkerchiefs and need to get it off my chest. What are they for? If people want to have a coloured hankie sticking out of a jacket pocket for fashion purposes (though why anyone would is beyond me) then fair enough. But for people to actually empty the contents of their noses - especially when they're full of a virus - then roll up the hanky and stick it up their sleeve, or put it in their bags, is revolting. My mum loves the things. She tells me it's a generation thing. I tell her to buy tissues. Lots of them. Anything that comes out of a virus-infected nose needs to be flushed down a toilet. Even the bin shouldn't be used.

The thing I can barely think about (and I'm cringing now) is this: so someone has blown their nose and shoved the hanky up their sleeve, and then what? Do they stick it in the wash with the rest of their clothes? Honestly, the subject makes my toes curl. My first item to hurl into room 101 and never call back, is handkerchiefs. The whole sorry lot of them. Disposables - fine. Washables - no, no, no!!!

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Ok Tori, little list of my pet hates to add to room 101:

Aeroplanes...not normal, shouldn't be done.
Thongs....dear God why????
People who litter...enough said.
Smart cars...words fail me.
Perms....had enough over the years to know it's not really a good look.
Eating animals...bit contentious I know but I don't care...meat is murder.

That should do for now!

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments Tori wrote: "This is the first discussion topic I've opened all by myself! There are so many things I'd like to put into a virtual room 101 that I thought I'd make it a subject matter so I can rant when the moo..."

But everybody knows that handkerchiefs are for gentlemen to offer to damsels in distress... :)

message 4: by Helen (last edited Jan 28, 2015 11:11AM) (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Other than Bill's comment which does make sense, handkerchiefs are disgusting. My toes also curl re the wash, ew!

Thongs, meat, litter I can support all of these going in. All sorts of things annoy me - rudeness, could of rather than could have.

message 5: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Linda wrote: "Ok Tori, little list of my pet hates to add to room 101:

Smart cars...words fail me.
Perms....."

Linda - ROFL!!!

If I'm acting as Skinner - and I'll only do it this once - then I'm happy for perms, litter throwers and smart cars to go into room 101. But planes? As an English person planes are essential to get me off this freezing cold island and into warmer places. See - I hate cars and coaches as a way of travel. I get travel-sickness so cars and coaches do my head in. Planes, I'm slightly scared of. If something is going to go wrong with a machine, I'm really not up for the idea of being 35,000 ft in the air when it does. But - it wouldn't stop me from having the odd adventure. I'm sure I don't need to chuck the stats at you about aviation safety.

As for thongs - lol! But men like them, Linda - not on each other, you understand, but on us! I rest my case with those few words.

Eating animals. In principle, I'm with you. But lamb and beef tastes dead nice (pardon the pun). Come to think of it, chicken, pork and duck are well tasty too. If as a country and then as a world we outlawed the killing of animals for food, I would neither object nor feel sad. I completely understand all the reasons why people get upset about it. There may come a point in the future when we look back at this period in history and say, Remember when people used to slaughter animals in order to eat? Put it this way, if I had to kill them myself, I'd be a veggie, no danger.

Can we add to your list dog-owners who allow their pets to drop a huge log on the pavement and carry on walking? That really winds me up.

Bill - if I was in distress i.e. was hanging off the end of a cliff or my car had broken down on a motorway or something, and some 'gentleman' offered me a hanky, I wouldn't be too impressed.

Glad Helen's on board with the repulsive notion of sticking a snot-filled hanky in the washer. Great minds...........

message 6: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Men like thongs?? Count me out of that generalisation please. Hideous things.

For room 101......
Plastic surgery unless medically necessary
Reality tv.....all of it even the odd one I watch
The Sun.......lying bastards
Religion

message 7: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Ian wrote: "Men like thongs?? Count me out of that generalisation please. Hideous things.

For room 101......
Plastic surgery unless medically necessary
Reality tv.....all of it even the odd one I watch
The S..."

I'm glad you don't like thongs. I think they're hideous too. Generalisation withdrawn as a fresh perspective is revised by moi. One makes assumptions built on nothing much.

Reality TV - totally with you on that one. 100%. Stuff them all into room 101 and close and lock the door and destroy the key. Same with soap operas.

Sports, except on a Saturday - same again. I loathe how football is on every night of the week. B doesn't put it on every night by any means, but I had no issue with footie when it was a weekend sport with the odd cup game during the week. It has too much power now. Football widows all over the flipping world. In the words of my musical son - said during the Christmas hols after a fortnight of general observation at home, 'Football was once a bit of fun that got well out of hand.' I couldn't agree more.

Rant over. For now.

My cat is snoring by my side!

message 8: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Cats.......that reminds me......musicals, can they go in? Or dare I even say it........cats and their litter trays.....they make your house smell of cat poo. Goes to hide behind sofa awaiting the backlash lol.

message 9: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Ian wrote: "Cats.......that reminds me......musicals, can they go in? Or dare I even say it........cats and their litter trays.....they make your house smell of cat poo. Goes to hide behind sofa awaiting the b..."

I'm not a musical fan either. I confess, I enjoyed Phantom of the Opera, but was well bored during Les Mis and Oliver. And Annie - p-lease. Hate that musical. I haven't seen the new adaptation, but I don't particularly want to see it either. I have a soft spot for the golden oldies i.e. The Sound of Music and Fiddler on the Roof because the music was actually good, but Lloyd Webber does nothing for me. Stick pop music in there for me too and - before that - folk music. Can't stand it. My music snobbery is both confessed and well documented.

Cats - come from behind that sofa and stop cowering Sir Ian - we can't put cats in, but their litter trays, most definitely. We haven't had a litter tray since Angel AKA Schmitt was 7 months old. They are horrific things. We had Angel 'done' so that no male cat could have his wicked way, and then we let her out of the house for the first time. She couldn't get the hang of dumping in the garden and kept coming inside to sort her business. No good at all. I had to firstly put the tray in the garden, then remove it altogether. She's never seen one since. I'll never forget the stench of cat poo. It is the foulest smell known to man. Cat poo can most certainly go into room 101, but let me keep the cat?

You may well know that I'm not an animal lover at all, so no backlash from me. I wouldn't be paid £500 a week to own a dog. When Angel meets her maker, I'll shed a tear or ten, then continue with my life petless. I learned last week that chasing and catching mice isn't my fave pastime.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Cats are not going anywhere near the doorway, Ian! Soaps, reality tv sure. Snow turning to slash and/or ice, that has to go in. It's so horrible to walk through.

As for dog mess, as my nan called it, definitely. Somebody is walking theirs along my road (quiet, nice cul-de-sac) and leaving small parcels at random spots up and down the pavement. Delightful!

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Snakes....enough said.

message 12: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Snakes definitely.

message 13: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1328 comments Mod
Oh yes, snakes. I agree!

message 14: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Come on Frank. If you're going to be the highly paid host of this show I think a decision and a yank on the handle for snakes is overdue.

message 15: by Tori (last edited Jan 30, 2015 07:14AM) (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Ian wrote: "Come on Frank. If you're going to be the highly paid host of this show I think a decision and a yank on the handle for snakes is overdue."

Oh is that my cue?

ROLF!!!

Good job I'm on the ball. *Clears throat*

Can I be honest? I don't have a view on snakes. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to meet one on a dark night, nor have one as a pet, nor live in a country where a snake has the liberty to inflict itself upon me suddenly from behind my bin. But seeing as we live in a place where we never see snakes except at the zoo, they trouble my mind not at all. Are we talking about ridding the world of snakes here and banishing them to room 101 to the point of extinction? Or do they serve a purpose? If we lived in Sydney, I may be reaching for that handle in a hurry, but here in the UK, can't we be smug from a distance and ignore the blessed things? Lizards and the like don't bother me at all. Cockroaches can go into room 101 however, swiftly followed by mosquitoes. Some people actually like Snakes, Sir Ian. Who am I to deny them their bit of pleasure?

By the way (power goes to my head I think. Give me a handle and I'm dangerous) I'm not putting religion in or plastic surgery. I may want enhancements one day when everything goes south. And I may need a priest to bless the proceedings lol ;-)

The handle is cold today. Someone give me something to put in to keep the snotty hankies company. The cockroaches are crawling all over them! Ew.

message 16: by Ian, Moderator (new)

I shall have to send you a cobra in the post to shake you from your smug isolationist position.

message 17: by Tori (last edited Jan 30, 2015 07:19AM) (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Ian wrote: "I shall have to send you a cobra in the post to shake you from your smug isolationist position."

Ian, that's fine so long as I can be a fly on the wall when you either try to make the order via Amazon, or go out in search of one yourself aboard Rupert! Best of luck with that.

Hand not even twitching on the handle despite threat lol!

Afflict? *Reads back her last post and tells herself to get a grip* I meant inflict. Post amended. Can't abide bad grammar, oh dear me no.

message 18: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Hijo de puta. Serpientes por favor.

message 19: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Me engatusar señor. Se cumpla lo que quieres. Estoy persuadido.

Hahahahahaha!

message 20: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Muy bien y muchas gracias Frank.

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Yayyyy!

message 22: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments Tori wrote: "Linda wrote: "Ok Tori, little list of my pet hates to add to room 101:

Smart cars...words fa..."

Well, Tori, if it was a strong handkerchief, I could offer it to you while you dangling off said cliff and pull you up. Otherwise, I was thinking more for dabbing the odd tear out of your eye, or blowing your nose... then I don't want it back, of course... :)

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Young people with their jeans hanging below their pants...makes me want to sneak behind them and give them a good eye-watering tug up!

message 24: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Linda wrote: "Young people with their jeans hanging below their pants...makes me want to sneak behind them and give them a good eye-watering tug up!"

Girl in my class had this problem all day long, drives me mad.

message 25: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Bill wrote: "Tori wrote: "Linda wrote: "Ok Tori, little list of my pet hates to add to room 101:

Smart ca..."

Well, there's always the good old sleeve should I dissolve into sudden tears, and I think I've made my feelings clear about using that there hanky for nose-blowing purposes. It's out. I'd be too distracted wondering which distressed damsel had been offered it before me, how snotty their noses were and whether or not it had been through a boil wash. So, all things considered, I'd have to politely refuse, which would only make me feel bad and, ironically, more distressed. So definitely don't offer this distressed damsel your hanky. A length of bog roll would be much more appreciated. And if I was hanging off a cliff and you happened to be passing and the hanky was salvaged from the depths of your pocket as a means of saving my life, I might lose the will to live at that point, so it would be counter-productive methinks.

So keep it, Bill. Kind offer, but nah ;-)

message 26: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Linda wrote: "Young people with their jeans hanging below their pants...makes me want to sneak behind them and give them a good eye-watering tug up!"

Yes, yes, yes! Definite tug on the handle, and they're gone. I too feel almost compelled to wrench kids' pants up, but I'd hate to grab the wrong bit and give them a wedgie!!

Here's another thing to go into room 101 - those horrific earrings which stretch massive holes in the ear lobes. Hate those things. can't look at them at all.

message 27: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 760 comments Tattoos
Aforementioned below waist trousers - its called underwear for a reason
With Tori on the earrings issue
All politicians - no favourites or exceptions
Day-time TV presenters - in fact daytime TV except at weekend
BBC Question time - should be called no answer time
Hidden low cost airline charges
The musical (or not) Annie
Bankers

I could go on!

message 28: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Philip wrote: "Tattoos
Aforementioned below waist trousers - its called underwear for a reason
With Tori on the earrings issue
All politicians - no favourites or exceptions
Day-time TV presenters - in fact daytim..."

Lol Philip. I'm in favour of all of those. Totally with you. Daytime TV is pants. I never watch a minute of in, no exception at all. The first TV I watch is the local news at 6.30, which is pretty dull. The best bit about it (in my part of the world), is the banter between Peter Levy and the weatherman, Paul Hudson. Sad but true.

Do you watch 'No Answer' Time then? Did you see Russell Brand a while ago? He stirred things up a bit, but I don't know if I trust him or not. I'm suspicious of celebs in general (especially those who look like they've spent £500 at the hairdressers) and their PR exercises. I'm sure there are genuine ones who want to help starving children etc and some of them actually take kids home for adoption purposes, even though they're probably away for months at a time and rarely see them.

My gripe is this: many people would adopt those orphan kids given half a chance. Adopting is too hard these days (except for celebs it seems). I totally accept that adoption procedures have to, by their nature, be very stringent, but when there are many childless couples who'd love to be parents, and so many kids needing a home and becoming increasingly affected the longer they're in care, I think there should be quicker and more successful ways to match these potential parents up with needy kids. I hate that there is so much stupid red tape, and that common sense goes out of the window in many cases. Kids are in care too long. Kids are in orphanages when they could be in loving homes. I'm not sure how I strayed onto this topic or what or who to put into room 101 as a result of this outburst of mine, but someone should go in there for sure. Too many kids aren't getting the start in life they need, and I care about that. They don't need money and gadgets, but they do need love and someone to tell them that they can!!

Where did that lot come from? Anyone wanna put me in room 101?

message 29: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments A sudden thought prompted by the clip of a film I saw this afternoon.

Cowboy hats. Do not like.
Add to that big buckles on belts, cowboys boots and jackets with tassels.

Let's go the whole hog and throw in country music (all forms of for me) and line dancing.

Can't be coping with it.

Why they use so-called sexy cowboys on book covers is quite beyond me. Cowboys and sexy don't go in the same sentence together.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3622 comments Linda wrote: "Young people with their jeans hanging below their pants...makes me want to sneak behind them and give them a good eye-watering tug up!"

I am more tempted to yank them down by their ankles - might just teach them through embarrassment!

message 31: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Lynne - The Book Squirrel wrote: "Linda wrote: "Young people with their jeans hanging below their pants...makes me want to sneak behind them and give them a good eye-watering tug up!"

I am more tempted to yank them down by their a..."

Ha ha! That's one way. What if they're not embarrassed though? Distinct possibility.

message 32: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments oooh I don't know Tori, Viggo Mortensen as a cowboy was pretty darn sexy. Oh and Clint Eastwood, and Paul Newman...stop me anytime..please.

message 33: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Just put orphans in Room 101 Frank. That'd solve the problem. Cruel, unfair and heartless I know but I feel your pain on this matter.

message 34: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Linda wrote: "oooh I don't know Tori, Viggo Mortensen as a cowboy was pretty darn sexy. Oh and Clint Eastwood, and Paul Newman...stop me anytime..please."

Yes that's enough, Linda. Have a cold shower, girl. Mr Mortensen and Mr Clinton and Mr Newman for that matter, didn't need the help of those stupid hats in order to be sexy. Come to think of it, the weird thing about Viggo Mortensen, is that he was only hot as Aragorn. It was the hair and the beard. I've seen him in other roles and thought, Oh dear me, no. Bring back the dark hair and bit of rough please! Fine, Clint Eastwood can get away with a cowboy hat and still look the part in his younger days, but I'm not having it that you wouldn't be just as keen if he lost the hat, Linda. I reckon you wouldn't be complaining. Correct me if I'm wrong. Let's not get hot men in daft hats mixed up with hot men. Did you fancy JR Ewing, or Cliff or Digger Barnes? Did those enormous-buckled belts do it for you? I rest my case.

Ian, Ian, IAN!! Put orphans into room 101 indeed! Isn't the point that they've already been consigned to a proverbial room 101 without asking to be? In their case, I'd like to get them out of there and into loving homes and I think there's a fertile field for just that. So many people can't have kids and want them. So many kids crave parents and security. It seems crazy to me. You know I don't do cruel, heartless or unfair. Isn't that what you hated about Maggie? Not going to turn into her any time soon ;-)

message 35: by Ian, Moderator (new)

I was only trying to help lol, but I hereby retrieve my cruel, heartless and unfair request. Can I have Meryl Streep instead?

message 36: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Ian wrote: "I was only trying to help lol, but I hereby retrieve my cruel, heartless and unfair request. Can I have Meryl Streep instead?"

LOL!!! I think I like you in contrite mood. I'll have to throw a wobbler more often. Chucking the M name into the pot usually gets you to see the light ;-)

Meryl Streep? Are you having a laugh? I might have to write to her and tell her that she upset you when she chose that role, and that you could only watch from behind the sofa, and with one eye open. I'm sure she'll feel remorseful enough to send you a personal message and beg your forgiveness, and then you'll change your mind about wanting to chuck her into room 101. Right, I'll set about it. Operation convert-Sir-Ian-to-Meryl. I quite fancy my chances tbh. I reckon she'll be well up for some grovelling at your feet.

message 37: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments I'm so with you on Viggo/ Aragorn!

message 38: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments David Walliams...smug, unfunny, annoying, pretentious git! Am still headachey with rage that my sister offered me tickets for Midsummer Night's Dream and I could not go because HE was playing Bottom. My sister, who doesn't have an opinion of him one way or another, admitted that he was extremely annoying and the worst part of the production. Other annoying people to banish..

Colleen Nolan.
Kylie Minogue.
Eamon Holmes......to name but a few.

message 39: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments I don't get the appeal either. Send him in.

message 40: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Lol Helen.

message 41: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Linda wrote: "David Walliams...smug, unfunny, annoying, pretentious git! Am still headachey with rage that my sister offered me tickets for Midsummer Night's Dream and I could not go because HE was playing Botto..."

I am without argument or objection. Hand is on the handle as we speak, and ................. down they go!

While we're at it, can we add in CJ off Eggheads, if for no other reason than that he calls himself CJ? What's that about? Don't know if he's still on. Haven't seen it for ages, but when I did, Kevin was my fave. No airs or graces, not a big-head, just quietly and impressively knew his stuff. Daphne and Judith were a bit annoying though, and Barry was positively scary.

message 42: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Thank you Tori, am much in your debt and the cheques in the post. X

message 43: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Go for it Tori!

message 44: by Ian, Moderator (last edited Feb 02, 2015 04:03AM) (new)

Linda wrote: "David Walliams...smug, unfunny, annoying, pretentious git! Am still headachey with rage that my sister offered me tickets for Midsummer Night's Dream and I could not go because HE was playing Botto..."

lol.....can I add Katie Hopkins and Perez Hilton to that list.......and Linda your post reads like your sister should be included. Maybe so lol?

message 45: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Linda wrote: "Thank you Tori, am much in your debt and the cheques in the post. X"

Ta chuck, but no need to pay. I found it most therapeutic lol.

Ian, to my credit I think, I'd never heard of Katie Hopkins or Perez Hilton. Googled out of curiosity and on this evidence alone am more than up for sticking the pair of them in room 101 and losing the key. You'll have to imagine the sound effect as I pull the lever about now, and .............the world is rid!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...

message 46: by Linda (new)

Linda Kelly | 251 comments Lol Ian, there are times I would like to put various family members in, but not my sister.

message 47: by Julie (new)

Julie Round | 20 comments Just to be different I'd keep folk music and musicals, especially High Society, Singing in the Rain, White Christmas and most of the Fred and Ginger films.
Instead I'd dump unfunny comedians,Alan Carr,Jack Whitehall,Keith Lemon etc.
Some folk music is both topical and poetic - it's not all wailing and shanties.

message 48: by Tori (last edited Feb 02, 2015 09:00AM) (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Julie wrote: "Just to be different I'd keep folk music and musicals, especially High Society, Singing in the Rain, White Christmas and most of the Fred and Ginger films.
Instead I'd dump unfunny comedians,Alan..."

I'm sure you're right Julie, I just can't be bothered to sift. Only speaking from my own point of view, I don't like folk music. Totally happy for other people to enjoy it though ;-) Variety is the spice of life, no? Neither do I like country music without exception. Totally and completely and wholeheartedly with you on the unfunny comedian front. Dump the lot of them in.

message 49: by Steven (new)

Steven Maurer | 3 comments films that are supposedly based on a book or popular story but only share a title, and maybe a character. Either stay with the story or call it something else.

message 50: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Steven wrote: "films that are supposedly based on a book or popular story but only share a title, and maybe a character. Either stay with the story or call it something else."

Do you have any particular examples Steven, which have got on your nerves? In the case of the Twilight Saga, (which I'm sure you were glued to lol) they changed the very ending of the last film because they had to. I totally agreed with the change on that occasion. If they'd stuck to the book, the ending would have been pants. So maybe it's sometimes forgivable, but not if the book was perfectly acceptable the way it was.

I'm having to endure the Superbowl as we speak. Hubby recorded it last night because he's always knackered by 9.30 and can't take the pace! I can't wait to have this exciting stuff on my screen for the next ..... however long it lasts. He does keep fast-forwarding to be fair. In other words, American football - fit only for room 101. Boring, boring, boring. Violent, dull, stop-and-start nonsense. Dozens of testosterone-fuelled males and their cheer-leading Barbie dolls. I'm putting the lot of them in room 101 unless anyone strongly objects on good grounds. Say now, or forever hold your peace. Soon now, it will be going, going .......

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19