2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Off Topic > Here's one thing I decided I don't like about my Kindle

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 57 comments I'm a fairly new Kindle user and really do prefer a paper book, but never could say specifically why, beyond just "I like the feel of a real book in my hand."

Well I discovered an actual reason why I don't like it as much. Last night I started my Week 4 book, "Tale of Two Cities", on the Kindle. I was tired, it had been a long day, and the book starts with all that narration/description. If I'd had the book I would have scanned ahead to see how much more of that I had before some people entered the scene. But on the Kindle if I jump ahead then I have to find my way back to where I was, and I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I know I can just jump back page by page, or I'm sure there's a way to "go to page x". But with a real book it's so much easier. :p

Yeah, I'm old and crotchety. lol. And, I've changed my Week 4 "book with a number in the title" from "Tale of Two Cities" to some fluff mystery I had on my Kindle that had the word "one" in it. lol

message 2: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new)

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Ah, I've this problem too, but not in this way. When I have few time to read or when a chapter is a little boring, I like to look at how many pages I've to read to reach the chapter end. It's not accurate on the kindle ink reader, because you can easily lose your current page!
On iPad (with the Kindle app), there is a chapter list in the menu (epub format) or you can open a popup with all the pages and slide between them without changing your current page (pdf format). It's way easier like this :)

message 3: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I know with the Paperwhite you can bring up the pages without losing your current page by swiping up from the bottom. It brings up sort of a smaller version of the page and then you can scroll through without really leaving the current page. Or you could always bookmark the page which lets you go back by clicking the bookmark again :)

message 4: by Lora (new)

Lora (misplacedselchie) | 347 comments Well, I do not have an actual Kindle, but I have the app on my phone. I'm not sure how different they are, but on my app, if I press the page, a little menu bar thing shows up and I can click on the left side of the top one and it shows me basically a table of contents without even getting off my current page. I wonder if maybe the regular Kindle can do that?