Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

Challenge Archives > February themed Valentines challenge

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Amyiw | 1083 comments Mod
February themed month long challenge

So February is known for many things, arguably the biggest being Valentines, here is a list of things occurring in February

Valentines Day, with the love, romance, hearts, candies, cards, flowers, pink, and red.
Groundhog Day, long Winters and early Springs
Black History month, bios, characters, writers, or any of the combinations
Amethyst the birthstone, a beautiful purple
Invention of the Printing Press, the written word, paperback, hardcovers.
Presidents Day, George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.

So the challenge categories..
Valentines Day
1. Romance, Love- Read a romance (preferably PNR) or a book with a strong couple
2. Hearts, Cards, Flowers(name of a flower), Candies, gift- read a book with an important/significant gift, or one of these words in the title or pictured on the cover.
3. Red – read a book with a red on the cover.
4. Pink – read a book with pink on the cover.
5. Couples- read a book with a couple on the cover.

Others
6. Groundhog Day- Read a book with a Wintery or Spring type cover.
7. Black History month- read a book written by a black writer or that has a black character.
8. Invention of the printing press, read a book, audio books don't count here, preferably a physical book.
9. Amethyst – read a book with purple of the cover
10. President's Day – Read a book that has an author or character that shares the name with a president.

Extra/ substitute
Read a second in the series since February is the second month.
Read a second book in any of the above categories.

1-3 - Flirt
4-6 - Rogue
7-9 - Rake
10-12 -Lover

message 2: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited Jan 28, 2015 02:47AM) (new)

Aly is so frigging bored I'm in, but I'm not sure how this works :D...
EDIT:I am picking flirt as well. If I read more, then it's even better :)

message 3: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2015 02:27AM) (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
pick as many or as little categories as you want. that's how i work it out to be.
so i pick cat 1 and 9 and i'm doing the extra(second in the series for feb)
so that will leave me in the flirt area of reading. tee hee

message 4: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Your such a flirt :-) both you.

Aly just pick whatever categories you want to do. If you want to repeat a category, you can do that once, the extra. Otherwise one category per book.

I'm going for Rake. Maybe Lover.

Well I could have put an extra for any book with the level names in the title but that would be on the side of pure romance. Maybe I should add it anyway?

message 5: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2015 09:27PM) (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
why not!
oh and I'm only a flirt when there is books involved!

message 6: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
I have a few authors I have to review, so I will see if I can participate based on those books.

message 7: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited Mar 01, 2015 02:06AM) (new)

Aly is so frigging bored Read-1. Hearts, Cards, Flowers(name of a flower), Candies, gift- read a book with an important/significant gift, or one of these words in the title or pictured on the cover.
I Do! (Lovett, Texas, #5) by Rachel Gibson

Read-2. Invention of the printing press, read a book, audio books don't count here, preferably a physical book.
Private Arrangements  by Sherry Thomas

Read-3. Amethyst – read a book with purple of the cover
The Way to a Duke's Heart by Caroline Linden

Read-4. Read a second in the series since February is the second month.
Blood Assassin (The Sentinels, #2) by Alexandra Ivy

Aly is so frigging bored Can I start today?

message 9: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Sure, February is a short month. I actually extended the widget to include a couple extra days from January.

message 10: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited Jan 31, 2015 03:40AM) (new)

Aly is so frigging bored Cool! Thanks
EDIT: Another Q, do re-reads count?

message 11: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

As longs as you read the whole book. A true read. Three of my favorite books are romances. So re-reads are good for this one

Aly is so frigging bored Amyiw wrote: "As longs as you read the whole book. A true read. Three of my favorite books are romances. So re-reads are good for this one"

Of course :) Too OCD-ish to only read paragraphs or stuff.

message 13: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 39 comments I'm in, 10 - 12.

message 14: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Feb 26, 2015 01:35AM) (new)

Valentines Day
READ 1. Romance, Love,- If He's Daring
READ 2. Hearts, Cards, Flowers, Candies, gift- Grim Shadows by Jenn Bennett
READ 3. Red – Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer by Marissa Meyer
READ 4. Pink – Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas
READ 5. Couples- Promises Marie Sexton

Others
READ 6. Groundhog Day- Wintery How to Flirt with a Naked WerewolfMolly Harper
READ 7. Black History month- Etiquette & Espionage Gail Carriger
READ 8. printing press, Mass market paperback of Under the Mistletoe
READ 9. Amethyst – purple Never Seduce a Scot Maya Banks
READ 10. President's Day – Thomas from The Trysting Place

Extra/ substitute
READ Read a second in the series since February is the second month. It Happened One Autumn
READ Read a second book in any of the above categories. couples Darkest Flame

Finished
If He's Daring (Wherlocke, #6) by Hannah Howell Darkest Flame (Dark Kings, #1) by Donna Grant Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2) by Jenn Bennett Promises (Coda Books, #1) by Marie Sexton Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1) by Maya Banks How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper The Trysting Place (Waite, #1) by Mary Balogh Under the Mistletoe by Mary Balogh It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger

message 15: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
Ok..SO far I got one, the one I am reading right now: The Nightlife Moscow (The Nightlife, #6) by Travis Luedke

message 16: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Feb 07, 2015 04:00PM) (new)

To anybody that has them on their TBR list
Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2) by Jenn Bennett How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper really good reads.

message 17: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

I'm increasing to 12, will try to do each extra also.

message 18: by Missyb (last edited Feb 28, 2015 04:39PM) (new)

Missyb | 39 comments 1. Hell On Heels
2. Vincent
3. Wolf At The Door
4. Night Of The Dragon
5. Modern Day Vampires
6. A White Cougar Christmas
7. Bound By Flames
8. Partnership Reforged
9. Britton
10. Beared To You by Tawny Taylor
11. Liam
12. An American Werewolf In Hoboken
Vincent (Vampires in America, #8) by D.B. Reynolds Wolf at the Door (Salvation Pack, #1) by N.J. Walters Night of the Dragon (Berserker Mate's, #1) by Alexandra O'Hurley A White Cougar Christmas by Eliza Gayle Bound by Flames (Night Prince, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Britton (The Awakening, #3) by Abby Niles Liam (The Awakening, #2) by Abby Niles Hell on Heels (Hot Damned #3) by Robyn Peterman Partnership Reforged (Partnership in Blood, #6) by Ariel Tachna An American Werewolf in Hoboken (Wolf Mates, #1) by Dakota Cassidy Vampire 101 (Modern Day Vampires, Book 1) by Paige Tyler Shifter Romance Boxed Set by Marina Maddix

Aly is so frigging bored I read more then I said, but less then I wanted :)

message 20: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 39 comments I finished, but can't find the picture for one of the books (the Tawny Taylor book)

message 21: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 39 comments Missyb wrote: "I finished, but can't find the picture for one of the books (the Tawny Taylor book)"

It's part of the Shifter Romance Box Set, but I can't find it seperately.

message 22: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Feb 28, 2015 07:36PM) (new)

I got them all done, which I wasn't expecting.

@Missyb
BEARed to You by Tawny Taylor or BEARed to You (A Beasts's Mate Romance, #1) by Tawny Taylor which is a 2013 repub of Mark of the Beast (Animal Urges, # 1) by Tawny Taylor from 2009. When you go to add book/author and then enter "Beared to You Taylor" (adding the author wheedles down any other books) it brings up Mark of the Beast. Under the add button there is an other editions link. That's where you find it.

Crazy re-released under new names to make them less erotic. :-) How was that for you? Like your books.