Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

The Needle (Audios) > Favourite Audios?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack Bowden | 29 comments I realise this has probably been done to death already, sorry about that, but I'm interested to know anyway. What are everyone's favourite Big Finish works? There's the obvious picks like Chimes of Midnight, Jubilee etc. but I'd like to hear what people think of audios that are (in my opinion) more underrated, for example the Fires of Vulcan, Master, Scherzo, Doctor Who and the Pirates. Thoughts?

message 2: by Lori S. (last edited Jan 28, 2015 10:09AM) (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 581 comments Mod
Welcome to The Library Jack!

I like Invaders from Mars (8th Doctor) personally. It incorporates bits of Orson Wells' famous broadcast of War of the Worlds while dealing with underworld shenanigans and, well, invaders from Mars: Ice Warriors.

Storm Warning is an excellent opening story to the series, and I really enjoy the Gallifrey stories too. I am rather behind there, since I've yet to hear Series 5 and I saw recently that there are more audios out in that series. It's really hard to keep up with it all these days!

message 3: by Jack (new)

Jack Bowden | 29 comments Thank you Lori, nice to be here.

It's been a while since I've heard Invaders - from what I remember it was fairly nonsensical (as I expect from Gatiss) but also a lot of fun, and one of McGann's most enthusiastic performances.

I haven't heard any of the Gallifrey series yet! I only started last year so I'm only about a third of the way through the monthlies (though I've finished the EDA's and Dark Eyes as well). I plan on being up to date probably around this time next year, if I'm lucky!

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 25 comments I haven't heard many, but I can say that Marc Platt's Spare Parts is one of the absolute best to me. It's extremely bleak, but a completely brilliant and very gritty origin story for the cybermen.

Master by Joseph Lidster was also excellent. One of the best Doctor/Master character studies there have been. (shame The Sound of Drums/ Last of the Time Lords blows all the ending theories out the water)

Other than that, I liked The Mahogany Murderers by Andy Lane, which is superb gothic Victorian sci-fi. But I haven't nearly heard enough of them to make further comments.

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack Bowden | 29 comments Spare Parts is lovely, and usually the first audio along with Chimes to be mentioned in a discussion like this. While I do really enjoy it, I don't think it's Davison's or Platt's best work.

Master is a masterpiece (sorry, forgive the pun). Worth making it through the five or six rubbish Seven audios that came before it to hear Master, especially the second episode where Seven and John Smith discuss the nature of evil. I wish we could have extended dialogue sections like that more often.

Another brilliant one I think is the Natural History of Fear, which is probably the most mind-bending, psychedelic experience you can ever have in DW, and with McGann on top form.