Book Loving Kiwis discussion

General > Eleanor Catton controversy

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Jan 27, 2015 10:04PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 986 comments Anyone got a 10 foot pole they want to touch this one with? :D

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/...

message 2: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Jan 28, 2015 11:26AM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 986 comments OK, I'll start with I'm a bit reluctant to comment until I see a full transcript of Catton's remarks. I found a partial clip on You tube & Catton's manner was gentle & non confrontational.

Edit; Stuff not you tube!

Plunkett's namecalling is why I don't listen to radio.(except reluctantly to sports radio - my husband is an addict)

message 3: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1575 comments I was a little taken aback at the reaction of some New Zealanders to her comments. I too have not heard the full speech, and we all know that taken as a complete can throw a different meaning on what was reported.

Where it has been reported that she said she was denied the NZ Book of the Year award because of having won the Man Booker, I think I can see what might have possibly driven that remark. In 1984 Keri Hulme's The Bone People got the NZ Book of the Year, and in 1985 got the Booker. I suspect what Catton was getting at was that since she got the Man Booker first she felt she was then discounted for the NZ Book of the Year, that maybe she would have got the latter had it been the book's first award.

Otherwise, I see the reactions from NZ as being more of the tall poppy syndrome the country suffers from - don't have/voice an opinion on our country, people or culture; don't have/voice an opinion on your country, people or culture; always agree with us in totality and you'll be our chums.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 986 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "I was a little taken aback at the reaction of some New Zealanders to her comments. I too have not heard the full speech, and we all know that taken as a complete can throw a different meaning on wh..."

Years ago my father (certainly not a celebrity!) had to comment in his work capacity about a tragedy to the media. He was really upset at how the media twisted his words.

As far as the overall winner goes the judges have a right to their opinion. I haven't read the winner but I did prefer Tragedy at Pike River to The Luminaries.

I was surprised that Dick Frizell was a judge as he was a contributor to Promoting Prosperity. IMO judges shouldn't have any connection to any book nominated but I realise that's hard to achieve in a small country.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Armstrong (joarmstrong) | 10 comments I don't know the whole story but for what it's worth I too have had some experience being burned by the media - nothing major, just a gentle twist of words - and have heard countless stories of others suffering the same fate. I think we all know that headlines sell papers, and the more sensational the headline, the more papers sell. (Or the 21st equivalent... hee hee) So basically, sensible people will not believe everything they hear form the media. Unfortunately we're not all sensible people. :-(

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 986 comments Sean Plunket rant
http://www.radiolive.co.nz/Sean-Plunk...

I only managed to listen to the first 3.5 minutes. I get that Plunket is a shock jock trying to get a rise, but itstill annoyed me

Transcript I've asked on the site if it's a complete transcript but no answer so far.
http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/pzEq1...

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Armstrong (joarmstrong) | 10 comments H'mmm, there is a lot of food for thought here. Thank you for posting the links, Carol. I wonder if there was a lack of continuity in her first statement about New Zealand and her second? First that it seemed to not teach its writers to be proud of their achievements (as though they weren't as "good" as writers from UK or elsewhere) and then she seemed annoyed that they were trying t take the achievement from her - almost claiming it as a NZ achievement, not a personal one. I would see NZ as being very proud of her, which kind of goes against her disappointment in the first statement.
I'm not sure if I'm making sense. The two didn't go hand in hand. She seems a little edgy.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 986 comments Hi I had a second look & it does say

Edited excerpts from the interview:

so who knows what's been omitted.

message 9: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1575 comments Is freedom of speech another New Zealand myth? Seems to me when anyone of note voices their opinion, New Zealander's always find something to whinge about.

Are we that immature as a people that we can't take, and discuss, criticism without lowering ourselves to name calling? That is how Sean Plunkett's rant came across IMO.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 986 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "Is freedom of speech another New Zealand myth? Seems to me when anyone of note voices their opinion, New Zealander's always find something to whinge about.

Are we that immature as a people that we..."

Interesting & reflective column here

http://gordoncampbell.scoop.co.nz/201...

Agree that Key's comments more disturbing than Plunket's.

I'm still wondering about the possible editing on this.I will say that I think Eleanor was ill advised to mention about not winning the NZ Post overall award. It never comes off well. Sort of like authors on this site that complain about their reviews!

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Armstrong (joarmstrong) | 10 comments Agree, I think the best that she can do is just not say anything at all about awards she might have liked to win and didn't - the comments, no matter how lighthearted, could be too easily misinterpreted. (Either innocently or otherwise).

message 12: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1575 comments I do wonder whether the fact that NZ didn't acknowledge her work achievements with the Book of the Year because she had already won the Man Booker has prompted her tall poppy comments. I agree that the arts in NZ have definitely had a cut in their funding since Helen Clarke's reign ended. She was very for the arts I have to say, whereas the Nats are more business/economy focused. So I guess she took the opportunity to take a stab at that.

I am less impressed with her response to all this as reported on Stuff tonight. I think she is behaving as badly as her supposed attackers. Most unbecoming. She sounds quite priggish, self-opinionated, which I recall have that same thought when she was interviewed at the time of being awarded the Man Brooker.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/...

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 986 comments I like the way she has come out swinging! I liked her Dad's response as well.

For me the question mark is just the sense of entitlement over the NZ Post awards. I think Nzers would react the same if Ritchie McCaw won some big award overseas & then bitched that he didn't get the Halberg!

But hopefully she has been misquoted.

message 14: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1575 comments I preferred her Dad's response. It had a degree of calmness and maturity. She started out okay but began to resort to slurs stopping just short of name calling I felt.

And yes I agree with you in that the big mistake she made was her sense of what she seems to see as being slighted with not being given the Book of the Year award that she seems to feel was hers by right of having the Man Booker.

message 15: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Oh my! Has anyone seen the entire script? I think it sounds worse than it is. And I know what she means. About attitudes. Standing out from the crowd gets a bit of ribbing in other countries but does become more negative in NZ as Tall Poppy syndrome.

We do have a panicky literarti who want 'The Great New Zealand novel' which will shatter the international literary world and give them and NZ literary mana. Yet we get authors with great international mana who are not considered good enough in NZ. Weird.

Cheers for Catton's comment I've just heard. Freedom of speech indeed. And Key's comments were shocking. We have a lot of creative people in NZ who need moral support.

message 16: by Girly (new)

Girly Girl | 1 comments Key thinks that because he liked Catton winning an award, she should like his Government!

I just hope she keeps that ponytail out of arm's reach.